Are you emulating your ascendant more & more?

Alectra

Wow what a great topic! Thanks for starting it ;)

I have a Taurus Sun Sign & my rising is in Scorpio. So as you can imagine I have the typical Taurus traits Grounded, Liking Food & Art, material things to an extent and being stubborn as hell. But with the Scorpio as my rising I do get pretty Horny and tend to be quite sexual. But I do think both signs play a 50/50 role. Maybe that will change because I am only 26 but from my experience you don't change into your sign sun its just apart of the whole. :)

Minderwiz

starless said:
I'm not really crazy about the idea that the ascendant represents the person's actual appearance, as I look virtually nothing like my ascendant...(at least according to the books written by the astro buffs). It's really hit or miss. Of course [as previously mentioned] there are other aspects in the chart that play a great role in explaining someone's physical appearance.

I am really enjoying everyone's insights on here as well. Fudgazi made a great point about the ascendant/ planet being the ruler of the chart. It really does help or hinder the person, excellent point! I have a lot of Uranus energy in my life alright!

Depends which 'Astro buffs' you are reading LOL

However, it was always realised that there was a problem with this, if taken too literally. The traditional descriptions are developed for a European population, which was fairly immobile. They clearly fail if applied to people of non or mixed European descent. Moreover even in a European context, there is a wide range of skin tones, and physical traits. Then increase in geographic mobility and inter-marriage over the last century make it even more difficult to produce general physical characteristics for each sign.

sweet_intuition

After a lot of thought, this is what I discovered.

We try to emulate our Ascendant in time, as the Ascendant is the Mask we wear to the outside world. It is also the motivation behind our actions, after all, we are so used to the masks we wear that we tend to "project" the qualities of our ascendant, in order to well... keep up appearances.

The Sun is our individuality, the core of our persona. Like in our solar system, all the planets revolve around the sun, so do a whole lot of factors revolve around our Sun Sign.. (which is why so many people tend to think all of astrology consists mainly of our sun sign, which we know isn't true).

However, if there were a contest between which plays a more important role within a chart, the Sun or the Ascendant... well, here are two sets of arguments supporting both:

The Ascendant:-

1. More dynamic, as the ascending sign changes every two hours (approximately).

2. Once you know the ascending sign, you can gain access to the rest of the chart, as you'll know which sign falls on which house cusp, thereby getting a fairly rough idea of a persons chart (example, if a person has Gemini rising, then it's obvious the descendant is Sagittarius, and if we use the equal house system, or any other house system that equally divides the chart, we would know that the house cups are as follows - 2nd Cancer, 3rd Leo, 4th Virgo, 5th Libra.. etc).

3. The Ascendant also indicates the physical appearance of a person stronger than the sun sign (however, planets near or aspecting the ascending sign can over power the traditional ascendant features, causing one to me misguided. Example, someone with Gemini rising would be generally described as tall, lean, and long-limbed.. with a heavy Saturn influence, they would be shorter, with a Jupiter influence they would be pear shaped and unable to get rid of it, etc)

4. The Ascendant, like mentioned before, also is our motivation behind our actions. Example, someone with Libra rising would discover that majority of the things they do is to please people and appear fair and just, whereas someone with a Taurus rising would discover that majority of the things they do is because they like doing it, it gives them pleasure, and makes them comfortable.

The Sun:

1. The Sun represents our core self. This is the true individual us, what makes us unique and special. True, the sun remains in it's sign for about a whole month, but nevertheless, we all can't deny that no matter how much we don't fit in with every area of our sun sign, at the end of the day, when we dig deeper, we truly do behave and act like our sun sign.

Personal Example: I am a Capricorn by Sun, with Moon, Venus, and Mars in Aquarius, and Libra Rising. My rising sign makes me do things for the sake of Harmony, Love, and to make peace and please everyone around me, while my moon makes me rebellious and a total non-conformist. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, I am a Capricorn, plodding away up my many mountains with only the goal of reaching the summit ahead of me.

2. The Sun is the root of our vitality and our being. In many spiritual and esoteric paths, the Sun is considered the source of our life, as well as, plays a determining role in measuring our health, and our life-span. In a way, our whole world depends so much on the Sun and it's energy. Without it, the world would cease to exist as we know it.

3. The Sun also represents the true essence of who we are. Our sign represents the evolutionary stage of our soul (from infancy in Aries to 'death' in Pisces), as well as, indicates our Karmic Missions for us to fulfill within this lifetime (example: Cancer - To Nurture).

At the end of the day, different astrologers take different stances on which is more powerful, and which plays a more profound effect.

I personally believe, emulate your rising as much as you try, you can never hide your Sun for too long. No matter how thick the clouds, or how long the night... the sun eventually shall come out and shine :)

Love and Blessings
:)

Alectra

Wow that was some really great stuff Sweet Intuition. It really puts the twos roles into perspective. :D

Dogmother

I've always appeared like my ascendant (Leo). Had to have the mane, acted like a generous leader. My Sun sign (Sagittarius) has always been who I am at my soul depth. But I also look like my chart type (bowl). All my planets are below the horizon and I'm short. I always found that funny. There's no way with my parents' genes I should have been a shorty; but I am.

Maggiemay

Alectra said:
Wow that was some really great stuff Sweet Intuition. It really puts the twos roles into perspective. :D

I second that!

That was really a beautiful insight, Sweet_intuition.

Thank you,

Maggie :)

Dogmother said:
But I also look like my chart type (bowl).

As soon as I get a chance I'll have to read up on the chart types. It sounds interesting.

Thank you,

grella lou

since transiting pluto is hitting my natal Midheaven (which means that T. Pluto squares my Ascendent), I am noticing more issues relating to my ascendent in aries. More importantly, the importance in valuing that aries energy and drawing it out.

Umbrae

Then there's folks like me, to whom it matters not. My sun & asc are the same.

isthmus nekoi said:
I've just posted Umbrae's chart to the group account on astro.com.

Umbrae, you weren't kidding when you said classic Aries!!!Umbrae's got Sun/Moon conj in Aries w/Aries ASC (therefore sun/moon are in the 1st house). Venus is also in Aries.

Mars in 9th/Sag forming a grand trine in fire makes for a very passionate teacher! If you're reading, Umbrae, your pedagogical posts on Aeclectic have always been forceful, insightful, highly opinionated, but never overbearing or rigid; it's great to have such helpful Aries around.

Also, I have to apologize. I didn't know which gender to put for you, so I did eenie meenie minee moe. I'm sorry if you're not a man!! I can change it if you want....

Maggiemay

Umbrae said:

LOL!

isthmus nekoi

Umbrae said:

lol, I still remember your chart.