Where did Waite get these meanings?

caridwen

I explained why the Book of Thoth relates to the RWS pips as well as Thoth. The two decks are based on the same decans and Tree of Life. It is perfectly okay to repeatedly contradict what I have written, but it has reached the point of an annoyance which I do not have to tolerate. So bye-bye.

I haven't contradicted you. I have also agreed that the both use the Book T.

caridwen

Its ok caridwen, I asked LRichard to go ahead, it does go with my question when you think about, it does refer to Waite and his meanings so it all good, please go ahead LRichard.

I have studied, read lots on Thoth, Tree of Life or should I say tress of life, but I have memory issues, so its not very helpful, I even made posters etc. to help me rember, half the time I dont rember to look at the poster. Botton line Im just trying to learn and find a simple way around memory issues, understanding, comprehension, without getting confued.

As far as I can see, your original question has been answered. You have been given links to the Book T, essays by Waite and other resources. The same information is now being repeated and has been summed up quite nicely by 'auntie'.

The Book of Thoth is a different beast and has its own forum:)

La Force

As far as I can see, your original question has been answered. You have been given links to the Book T, essays by Waite and other resources. The same information is now being repeated and has been summed up quite nicely by 'auntie'.

The Book of Thoth is a different beast and has its own forum:)

Please dont get me wrong, Yes my main question was answered, and Auntie s did. Not asking to repeat or rehash, its just LRichard, and Lee brough up some added info. So I am interested, cause it does fit here, doesnt mean we get into the thoth, i just want know more about what LRichard said about the fives and their meanings.

Lee

Would you know of a resource / links, or other info? This would be helpful for me and maybe not so hard for me to rember
Good question, unfortunately I don't have any resources to provide. At the time the Golden Dawn was founded, astrology was still very prediction-oriented and fatalistic. Alan Leo changed the course of Western astrology by steering it into a more spiritual and psychological mode, but he was just getting started in his evolution toward that paradigm when the GD was founded, and so the GD's astrological interpretations would have been more old-school. You could probably look at any astrology text from before 1910 to get an idea of what standard astrological interpretations were like then. You might want to look for works by Raphael or Sepharial.

I'm not an expert on astrology, so I'll happily defer to those more knowledgeable.

La Force

Good question, unfortunately I don't have any resources to provide. At the time the Golden Dawn was founded, astrology was still very prediction-oriented and fatalistic. Alan Leo changed the course of Western astrology by steering it into a more spiritual and psychological mode, but he was just getting started in his evolution toward that paradigm when the GD was founded, and so the GD's astrological interpretations would have been more old-school. You could probably look at any astrology text from before 1910 to get an idea of what standard astrological interpretations were like then. You might want to look for works by Raphael or Sepharial.

I'm not an expert on astrology, so I'll happily defer to those more knowledgeable.

A big thank you. Okay. I have LRichard information, as resource, andd because astrology today is too much for me, I will check out the older, to camparission with what LRichard said and find how can I say the brain link where I can comprehend and rember. Cause I'm trying to rewire my brain. I not joking I relearn tarot everyday., small amounts I can retain, the rest goes. I am always ready to learn and find creative alternative ways.

Lee

I just recalled a good resource for you. I no longer have this book, but I believe Lon Milo Duquette's book "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" includes discussion of the pip cards in terms of astrological interpretations of the Decans (as LRichard points out, it's all applicable to the RWS). Maybe someone more familiar with the book can chime in and confirm my memory.

caridwen

Please dont get me wrong, Yes my main question was answered, and Auntie s did. Not asking to repeat or rehash, its just LRichard, and Lee brough up some added info. So I am interested, cause it does fit here, doesnt mean we get into the thoth, i just want know more about what LRichard said about the fives and their meanings.

This is answered here:

That's probably off topic, but in a nutshell, the fives, being associated with Geburah (Strength, Sephirah 5), introduce a disruptive influence into each of the suits, a status quo or accustomed state of affairs is being disturbed. Crowley explains that this is not evil in itself: "The natural feeling about it is really a little more than the reluctance of people to get up from lunch and go back to the job." In fact, "Every phenomenon is a sacrament," including disruptive events. In each suit the disruption of the five takes a different form, which Crowley relates to the decans and the characteristics of the corresponding elements.

ravenest

In regard to these 'mysteries' ...

... the sections on the pips are also relevant to the "villain's" deck, the RWS. Among other things, it explains things like why the 5s are generally unpleasant, why the Swords seem to get progressively worse from Ace to 10. It explains a lot of things concerning the pips about which people often have questions, and the explanations are relevant for the Waite, since the Thoth and Waite decks are based on the same model of the Tree of Life.

Yes. I agree , time and time again, when delving into the depths of hermetic tarot, I have realised its better to just go to Thoth. Waite didn't reveal a lot of it and where he couldn't he seems to have patched 'non-esoteric tarot traditions' or 'his own' mythology to the deck. The G.D. even held people to keep secret 'under oath' the Hebrew letter attribution to the Majors ! :shhh:

Of course, any Freemasonic revelations back then would be equally oath bound ... I mean women were (and still aren't ) privy to those mysteries .... and a women painted the cards).

Of course Crowley never worried about Freemasonry secrets either (he initiated women into AA and OTO and Frieda was a Co-Mason (and painted masonic tracing boards). the only thing Crowley seems oath bound by in the Thoth is OTO oaths ... even though he hints deeply at them ... and where they ARE alluded to in the imagery , he points it out and declares it is a mystery (but not what the mystery is).

And those 5 's ! - one of the points where the difficulty in matching cosmological Kabbalah with psychological tarot surfaces.

ravenest

One is better off looking at the sign a minor is attributed to. You mean 7 of Cups - Scorpio, like perspective, resourceful, possessive, dtermined, prowling, fixed, focused, sex, death, powerful, magnetic, production, invention, obstination. These are from my journal for my Minchiate deck.

:) Yeah well , I wanted to keep it simple. There are a range of energies available to Scorpio ... in a way Death card represents all of them and the three Scorpio Minor cards are sections of that energy ... but it will be modified by number of the card as well.

Here are some simple basics for astrology and tarot (and I am sorry if I am getting TOO basic here); Try laying out your deck with the major cards that are attributed to the zodiac in a circle, then outside that lay out the minor cards ( the twos to the tens of each suit) 3 to each sign and visually observe for a while the set up ) again the Thoth deck is easier for this as the titles, the zodiac signs and the planetary symbols are written on them.

Again, trying not to complicate things but in regard to minor card meanings, in other threads we came up with this;

? (Minor cards 'meaning' { or energy or influence} ) = suit ( also the element or 'world') x number ( Kabbalistic sephiroth, 1 - 10 ) x astrological sign (shown on the Thoth card) x decan (as annoted by the planetary symbol on the card)

So it seems a meaning is a combination of suit, number, sign and decan of that sign, some add planet (but it was an inconclusive discussion on that point ). With Waite we have had to add the X factor (that is censorship or concealment and replacement with something else ... for some issues.)

ravenest

Just a quick note to say, regarding interpretations of the astrological attributions of the pip cards, one reason that they may seem obscure and hard to follow may be that astrological interpretation was in some ways substantially different in the mid- to late 19th century than it is today.

Yes! And if one wants to nut THAT out and follow the source (instead of just assuming its the same) check out some G.D. papers (like the projection of the Tree of Life onto the Celestial Sphere usinf tarot cards and the accompanying stella maps - VERY differnt ... and the whole GD system itself is different . Personally I dont think they could get A grippa on it ;)