What is the 9 cups trying to tell me?

acquario

Hi,

I am currently in a strange drama with an ex. He is in an abusive r/s that he says he both wants out of but also doesn't know how to end. At the same time he is wanting to stay in touch with me. It's true she is very abusive towards him, and doesn't like me. Anyway, it takes up a large part of my life these days which is why I mention it.

Lately 9 cups always turns up in my readings regardless of what I am seeking clarity on that I am leaning towards that it has something to do with my ex and myself. For me 9 cups has always been an indication that I will get what I want whether what I am wanting is big or small. This makes it difficult for me to see it another way but it keeps appearing in various combos with other cards, the other day for instance as clarifying the Tower. Then I had some really bad painful news and have yet to see the blessing of it. Often it appears as the first card of 4-card spread.

Any ideas as to what this recurring 9 cups is wanting to tell me?

rwcarter

The flip side of a wish is the old saying "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it." So the recurring 9C could be advice to examine what it is that you're wishing for and determine if it's truly what you want.

If the card is pointing to the situation with your ex, you need to think about a few things:

• You two are exes for a reason. So will time have changed whatever caused you to become exes in the first place?
  • Do you really want to bring his currently abusive girlfriend even more directly into your life? Cause it's doubtful that she's just going to disappear if he breaks up with her....
  • To say that he'll have baggage after an abusive relationship is an understatement. Do you really want to bring his baggage into your life?
Rodney

acquario

Hi rwcarter,

Yes, I have heard and seen that with 9 cups too. And I can see how it might be a warning of sorts, but the strange thing is that so far I have actually not seen anything go my way in this whole situation.

Actually he is very changed so things are different between us. I do actually really want for them to break up regardless of what happens between him and me, and we only work together for now. Apart from almost breaking his jaw she has caused problems at my work place. The outcome has been my loss of respect for him, nothing I have wanted. But perhaps the card is saying for me to just not want anything, not telling me that what I want will be actualized in any way... or?

Ace

9 of Cups are USUALLY happiness in the moment. I wonder if there isn't some Schadenfreude (taking joy in the pain of others) here.

One thing to watch for: don't listen to what he SAYS, see what he is doing--that is the most telling thing. And he may be bringing you in to help break it off with her, after which what worth will you have for him?

Barb

rwcarter

Hi rwcarter,

Yes, I have heard and seen that with 9 cups too. And I can see how it might be a warning of sorts, but the strange thing is that so far I have actually not seen anything go my way in this whole situation.

Actually he is very changed so things are different between us. I do actually really want for them to break up regardless of what happens between him and me, and we only work together for now. Apart from almost breaking his jaw she has caused problems at my work place. The outcome has been my loss of respect for him, nothing I have wanted. But perhaps the card is saying for me to just not want anything, not telling me that what I want will be actualized in any way... or?
You assume that the recurring 9C is talking about this situation. Could it be referring to some other part of your life?

acquario

You assume that the recurring 9C is talking about this situation. Could it be referring to some other part of your life?

This is actually the one thing that seems to take up most of my life these days in one way or another. We have that work project together and she is stalking me on FB and he is some round about way seeking my help, so I feel sure it has to do with this in some way.

rwcarter

OK. Than I go back to my original statement of "be careful what you wish for." So with your loss of respect for him, the recurring 9C could be saying, "Be careful what you wish for. You once wanted something more with this man and see how you feel about him now?"

Rodney

acquario

OK. Than I go back to my original statement of "be careful what you wish for." So with your loss of respect for him, the recurring 9C could be saying, "Be careful what you wish for. You once wanted something more with this man and see how you feel about him now?"

Rodney

OK I see but that would then mean that whatever I wish for with this man, however unwise, would come my way, right?

Because the strange thing is that so far I have not seen much of what I want at all. But this card keeps appearing :confused:

acquario

9 of Cups are USUALLY happiness in the moment. I wonder if there isn't some Schadenfreude (taking joy in the pain of others) here.

Hi Ace,

Thanks for responding. Not quite sure what you mean by the above or rather how it applies to my situation, could you clarify? Who is taking joy in the pain of who?

One thing to watch for: don't listen to what he SAYS, see what he is doing--that is the most telling thing. And he may be bringing you in to help break it off with her, after which what worth will you have for him?

Barb

This is true, but his behavior is often as back and forth as what he says. I do know that I mean a lot to him and every time they have had problems he has sought my company. I don't think he is using me as such, I think he is avoiding a confrontation. I have seen her cause a scene and that was unpleasant.

rwcarter

OK I see but that would then mean that whatever I wish for with this man, however unwise, would come my way, right?

Because the strange thing is that so far I have not seen much of what I want at all. But this card keeps appearing :confused:
Let me try to phrase is differently. Considering what you had or wanted at one time with this man, now that you've seen what he's allowed himself to be subjected to, would you still want him? That's the "be careful what you wish for" aspect of the card I was speaking about.