Daily reading - what to understand?

Adde

I need your opinion on a daily reading a did for myself a couple of days ago.

I usually draw 3 cards, each one for morning, afternoon, evening. So I had the Knight of Wands, 7 of Pentacles and the Wheel of Fortune.
The day proved to be very annoying with a lot of things left unsolved.

In the morning I had a lot of places to go to and solve things, but I encountered only delays and setbacks. Only. And the most worrying for me was... putting my son into a nursery. The woman there was a red-head who told me she couldn't give me a straight answer due to bureaucratic changes starting with 1st of January. Everything was brand new and she didn't know how things were going to evolve. So, I left the place very disappointed and worried. Knight of Wands.

In the afternoon I went to a doctor with my son, it was a pleasant visit in fact and we made some plans for the future. The doctor actually told me to start saving some money for future vaccines and treatments. So I see this related to the 7 of Coins. Me thinking about money, how to make it and save some.

Evening was again annoying as we were left without tap water! I found out it was a big incident (sort of like a broken pipe) involving several central areas, many buildings and people in the same situations. It lasted 2 or 3 hours but it was remedied faster than expected. The Wheel of Fortune.

Now, my questions are, how do we predict such outcomes in daily readings? Can we?
Secondly, how is the Wheel of Fortune related to what I have said above? Is it a "water" card in any way? Maybe that the respective incident was quite big and out of control (unpredictable) when it started?

Thanks for any clarification.

Grizabella

I think in some older decks, there's a liquid down at the bottom of the Wheel card. And the controls of some kinds of water plants or whatever you'd call them involves turning a wheel to open and close the flow. Maybe that was it.

Laurelle

I do daily readings for myself too. I use the first card as physical, the second as emotional/mental and the third as spiritual. I also pick clarifying cards to help tie the situation into each theme. So each card (first, second and third) gets another card (6 in total). Since it's a general reading, and my own exercises, I am not bound by any sort of special position or question. I can create a story line. This way works for me with my own personal daily readings.

While I'm picking each card I ask for the divine light to guide me. I get into a meditative state. It is easier to read while I'm in this state.

All of us can be conduits for space and time coming together. It takes some practice to be able to meditate and open yourself to this channel of information. It is much easier to predict specific events and get specific clarity.

Sometimes I get an immediate revelation and I can specifically relate to an event that will predictably take place. This usually happens the more in the "zone" I am. For instance, a few weeks ago I pulled the 6 of Swords, page of cups, and two of pentacles. I immediately saw myself being invited on a weekend trip. I saw myself with the mountains and body of water. All of those cards have images of water. Later that day a friend called and invited us to on a trip to a mountain lake resort. It was very spontaneous and we left that evening.

Other times, and as an exercise, I write down a list of what the cards combined mean to me. This information comes from what I already know about each card and combined with any sort of intuitive pull I have towards the cards, but it's more of a study since I am not getting an exact image or feeling that relates to something specific. So I'll have list of about 4-9 general sentences. At the end of the day I go back over the list and pick the sentence or two that did relate.

I always keep a journal.

I hope that helps and good luck. I think you are doing a good job of thinking about how each card relates at the end of the day. This is a great exercise.

Adde

I think in some older decks, there's a liquid down at the bottom of the Wheel card. And the controls of some kinds of water plants or whatever you'd call them involves turning a wheel to open and close the flow. Maybe that was it.

Wow, this is cool. I haven't thought about it, but the Marseille Tarot shows the wheel above a flow of water. And I can still see in the countryside those ”water mills” if this is the name. So, it appears it does control the water in some cases.

Adde

I do daily readings for myself too. I use the first card as physical, the second as emotional/mental and the third as spiritual. I also pick clarifying cards to help tie the situation into each theme. So each card (first, second and third) gets another card (6 in total). Since it's a general reading, and my own exercises, I am not bound by any sort of special position or question. I can create a story line. This way works for me with my own personal daily readings.

While I'm picking each card I ask for the divine light to guide me. I get into a meditative state. It is easier to read while I'm in this state.

All of us can be conduits for space and time coming together. It takes some practice to be able to meditate and open yourself to this channel of information. It is much easier to predict specific events and get specific clarity.

Sometimes I get an immediate revelation and I can specifically relate to an event that will predictably take place. This usually happens the more in the "zone" I am. For instance, a few weeks ago I pulled the 6 of Swords, page of cups, and two of pentacles. I immediately saw myself being invited on a weekend trip. I saw myself with the mountains and body of water. All of those cards have images of water. Later that day a friend called and invited us to on a trip to a mountain lake resort. It was very spontaneous and we left that evening.

Other times, and as an exercise, I write down a list of what the cards combined mean to me. This information comes from what I already know about each card and combined with any sort of intuitive pull I have towards the cards, but it's more of a study since I am not getting an exact image or feeling that relates to something specific. So I'll have list of about 4-9 general sentences. At the end of the day I go back over the list and pick the sentence or two that did relate.

I always keep a journal.

I hope that helps and good luck. I think you are doing a good job of thinking about how each card relates at the end of the day. This is a great exercise.

Indeed, it's more of an exercise for me, sometimes it's very clear, at other times, the cards leave me puzzled. The 3 card sequence representing morning, afternoon and evening seems to work best for me. Thanks for your input.

PrincessPaulina

When I do "Card(s) of the Day" type readings, I relate the cards pulled not just to each other, but also to the Major corresponding to the numerical Date of the day I'm reading on.
(It may be interesting for you to try this, because in my experience it adds much depth to the interpretation).

If you want to try it out, add up and reduce all the digits for the date, and identify the corresponding Major(s) -- so today (Jan 8, 2014) would be 17 Star/8 Strength.
This probably seems much more complicated than it really is -- for me, adding and reducing has become 2nd nature. Memorizing the current reduced year number (8) makes the addition super fast (Today = 1+8+8)

I would then examine the cards pulled in relationship to these 2 Majors.
In your format, this would involve looking at each separate Morning/Afternoon/Evening card, as combined with the card(s) representing the Date.

My readings rely heavily on Elemental Dignities, so if I pulled a Fire card (Wheel of Fortune) to reflect the afternoon on a "Water" day (for example, a day whose date added up to 18, the Moon), I would see this as opposing elements/ill-dignity, and would be inclined to expect an unpleasant surprise (Wheel) having to do with water (Moon) in the afternoon.
Hope this all makes sense! :)

Another neat exercise is to pull the Card(s) of the Day at the END of the day (or pull them earlier, but only look at them in the evening), to reflect or summarize the passing day's events.
I call this a "Retrospective CoD" -- since you already know what happened, it is a totally different kind of interpreting experience. Hindsight often makes the various connections more apparent, including how the numerology of the Date factors in.

Adde

When I do "Card(s) of the Day" type readings, I relate the cards pulled not just to each other, but also to the Major corresponding to the numerical Date of the day I'm reading on.
(It may be interesting for you to try this, because in my experience it adds much depth to the interpretation).

If you want to try it out, add up and reduce all the digits for the date, and identify the corresponding Major(s) -- so today (Jan 8, 2014) would be 17 Star/8 Strength.
This probably seems much more complicated than it really is -- for me, adding and reducing has become 2nd nature. Memorizing the current reduced year number (8) makes the addition super fast (Today = 1+8+8)

I would then examine the cards pulled in relationship to these 2 Majors.
In your format, this would involve looking at each separate Morning/Afternoon/Evening card, as combined with the card(s) representing the Date.

My readings rely heavily on Elemental Dignities, so if I pulled a Fire card (Wheel of Fortune) to reflect the afternoon on a "Water" day (for example, a day whose date added up to 18, the Moon), I would see this as opposing elements/ill-dignity, and would be inclined to expect an unpleasant surprise (Wheel) having to do with water (Moon) in the afternoon.
Hope this all makes sense! :)

Another neat exercise is to pull the Card(s) of the Day at the END of the day (or pull them earlier, but only look at them in the evening), to reflect or summarize the passing day's events.
I call this a "Retrospective CoD" -- since you already know what happened, it is a totally different kind of interpreting experience. Hindsight often makes the various connections more apparent, including how the numerology of the Date factors in.

Sorry for getting back so late. It does sound a bit more complicated, but I will try to apply your numerical method.

In my case it was a day dominated by the no. 6 and the fire element. Tuesday 6 and all the added digits of day, month, year make up 15 (The Devil), but also 6 again (The lovers). It was sort of a "fiery" day with a lot of action, agitation and movement and all sorts of dysfunctional relationships. But I'm not sure I see a connection between the Devil (or the Lovers) to the rest of the cards. Could be that the Saturn nature of the Devil gives delay or lessons to be learned (even from past lives). I'm still wondering, as it was a pretty important day for me and I wasn't able to solve anything of what I intended to. In the case of the Wheel of Fortune (major card of the day) and the Devil, there is fire + fire = water problem??

Well, I don't know if anybody still has the patience to read this, but whatever the case, thank you for all the clarifications.

Callanish

I've been doing a weekly spread for almost a couple of years now using a Tarot App I wrote for myself
(not going to shamelessly plug it here, see my profile if interested).

The advantage of the App is that it incorporates daily numerology too and keeps a sort of journal as well.
It also keeps a running count of cards over each lunar month and all time.
This I find useful for seeing my "Tarot Trends", which is also useful and fascinating too.

Just before xmas I "accidentally" picked the wrong spread on the App, there's a "Lunar Month" spread which I created (& posted about on the AT a few years ago) which I've never really used much.
It's purpose was related to the "Tarot Trends" - long story...

Anyway, I've noticed that the cards in my "accidental" spread for the lunar month are much more accurate than the daily cards are.
Some days are mundane and I find it impossible to see how I can relate to the card I had for the day.
The numerology is a better forecast I think, although sometimes Tarot really hits the mark, but not often.

The lunar month spread is 13 cards.
2 for the Waxing Cresent, 1 for the 1st Quarter, 2 for Waxing Gibbous,
1 for the Full Moon,
2 for Waning Gibbous, 1 for 3rd Quarter, 2 for Waning Cresent
1 for New Moon.

So I wonder if perhaps 3 cards for a day, or even 1 card for a day, is too fine a granularity?

Callanish

PrincessPaulina

In my case it was a day dominated by the no. 6 and the fire element. Tuesday 6 and all the added digits of day, month, year make up 15 (The Devil), but also 6 again (The lovers). It was sort of a "fiery" day with a lot of action, agitation and movement and all sorts of dysfunctional relationships. But I'm not sure I see a connection between the Devil (or the Lovers) to the rest of the cards. Could be that the Saturn nature of the Devil gives delay or lessons to be learned (even from past lives). I'm still wondering, as it was a pretty important day for me and I wasn't able to solve anything of what I intended to. In the case of the Wheel of Fortune (major card of the day) and the Devil, there is fire + fire = water problem??

I understand your questions, and will try to further explain it in terms of the numerology.

Your 3 cards drawn were:
Knight of Wands, 7 Pents, Wheel

Of these, the Knight has no numerical value, while the Major will probably relate to the most remarkable or significant part of the day (which it did, as relating to the section of the day when the unexpected "water" problems occurred).

The day for which you pulled these cards added up to 6 (reduced).
If you add the number of each separate card to the date, you will get an approximation of their combined energy:

(Wheel) 10 + (Date) 6 = 16 Tower (fire)
The Tower then reduces down to 7 Chariot (water)
The above equation appears to account for all you've mentioned: the "fiery"/unpredictable energy of Wheel + Tower, the watery problems of the Chariot (which is ill-dignified and fairly uncomfortable around so much Fire energy), with the Saturn energy of the Devil, as you noted.

I understand that using numerology isn't for everyone, but it works for me, while the nature of your question was to know how other readers are able to draw more detailed predictions from the cards -- so this is my personal system, in answer to your question.
You can take it or leave it :)

PS: Each additional "system" that ties into Tarot can potentially give a reading more depth, I find.
So if I was reading for myself, I'd also be considering the Astrological "climate of the date"...

Adde

Thank you both.

I will try to keep in mind, the numerical system. Seems to work well, indeed. And Princess Paulina, thank you so much for taking the time to explain. It's time to give numerology and elemental dignities an in depth look.

Callanish, you sort of confirmed to me that some days are just too mundane and don't seem to relate to anything in the cards. Right now, I'll be sticking a while to my own system, so to speak, of 3 cards reading to see how it further works.

Have a magical day, week, year, life!