MAAT Study Group-10 of Wands- Exercise

juliecucciawatts

Since our New Year exercise seemed to be fruitful and fun I thought we might try another simple one card pull for the new moon in Capricorn. And let the question reflect what this new moon card means for us. Going back to some of GreyCats words from her post for the 10 of Wands to help us get into the mood of the card;

greycats said:
The work she does, gathering wood to fuel the family hearth, is considered holy by many cultures and is a responsibility traditionally assigned to the women of a household. She may have learned this task as a child, undertook it fully as a bride or whenever she acquired her own hearth, and she will carry it out as long as she lives. Her red robes stand out bravely against the snow, and beyond the wood the sun presents another conflagration. She travels toward the darkness and beyond it, to the light. It is a hopeful journey, now near its end. “After this, glory!” is what someone wrote of this arcana, meaning that after the great work (whatever it is) is done, one will emerge transformed. Furthermore, the greater the suffering that one undergoes, the greater will be the reward. It’s a variation on the one traditionally assigned to the 10 of Wands in RWS, but this one is happier, perhaps more just.

Shuffle and draw one card to reflect the Great Work you will undertake this year/month/week-(you decide the duration of the work for yourself)
I will go first and will pose the question for the year as I do most of my event planning and scheduling in January no better time to start than the new moon...

What will be the focus of my great work this year? what burden will I be able to set aside or what wisdom will I be able to unburden from myself? What will dawn for me this year?

My card is...

5 of Cups

Oh okay I do have trouble with this card dwelling on what is wrong rather than seeing what is right and seeing the benefits of all aspects of life even the less than perfect moments. Stop crying about what is wrong and start seeing what is going well. This is the time in my life when I am going to have to start dealing with real physical and emotional losses and I am going to have to appreciate those who are still with me. It is pretty easy for me to get caught up in someone's bad mood and let it poison my own mood as well.
Well this is something I really do have to work on because if I can manage this I would be a much more contented human being. I am there and aware.

Okay anyone else want to take a shot here?
Julie

juliecucciawatts

new exercise for MAAT users

I noticed this exercise hasn't shown up on searches. Thought I would add a reply and see if it shows up.
Julie

Kimber

Julie's Exercise:

Shuffle and draw one card to reflect the Great Work you will undertake this year/month/week-(you decide the duration of the work for yourself)
I will go first and will pose the question for the year as I do most of my event planning and scheduling in January no better time to start than the new moon...

What will be the focus of my great work this year? what burden will I be able to set aside or what wisdom will I be able to unburden from myself? What will dawn for me this year?

My card is...

I'll go ahead and jump start this thread for 2010! :c)

I drew The Magician.

It's interesting that this is the full moon card for the current lunar cycle. And natally, my Moon is in Cancer, in the 4th house of home and stability.

I think this is a great card to begin the New Year with! Cleansing, renewal, transformation. Expanding personal energy. Creation, balance, manifestation. Nurturing new projects and ideas, encouraging growth.

This is exactly the direction I want to take this year. The appearance of the astrological chart in the card reminds me that the maps of our lives include positives as well as negatives; we don't have to take the path of least resistance, we often just choose to, because it is easier than focusing our energies on changing.

Kimber

Kimber

Another thought I'd like to add. Saturn is a hard task master; if you don't get it right, you'll keep doing it over until you do! Anyone who has experienced a Saturn retrograde will know exactly what I mean. Under Saturn's influence, we often learn the hard way - but we eventually learn. That's where the growth and renewal comes in.

Kimber

juliecucciawatts

Kimber said:
Another thought I'd like to add. Saturn is a hard task master; if you don't get it right, you'll keep doing it over until you do! Anyone who has experienced a Saturn retrograde will know exactly what I mean. Under Saturn's influence, we often learn the hard way - but we eventually learn. That's where the growth and renewal comes in.

Kimber

This makes me think of another exercise I like to do with people regarding Saturn. Saturn can be a big scary monster but it doesn't have to be. Saturn has a 28 year cycle. We all have our first Saturn return at age 28. But Saturn aspects for people every 7 years. At age 7 it squares at age 14 it opposes it's natal position at 21 it squares again opposing the 7 year old square ( this opposition at age 21 gives clarity to who you were at 7) and so on.
But here is what is really cool at 28 it returns to the place it was when you were born. At 35 you are back to were you were at age 7 ...at age 42 you get to revisit issues from 14 and at age 49 you get a new perspective on age21. People from this time in your life will even start popping back in and mist if the time there is role reversal involved. Check it out in your own life ... It is uncanny!
Julie

Kimber

The hair is standing up on my arms!!!

I forgot about the Saturn Return (probably a mental block there - lol). I just turned 49, and it's true. I am re-examining when I was 21, and my experiences during that entire period. I was wondering why this made me so melancholy and teary...now I know. And I have recently reconnected with some people from that time; unfinished business perhaps?

Kimber

juliecucciawatts

Absolutely! And I'm 51 so I do know I've just been thru this time it's pretty amazing.

hunter

Wow this Saturn thing is amazing. I recently bought The Karma Cards as a way to have some basic astrology spoon fed to me, daily. The first card I picked in the 1st spread was Saturn and I really am revisiting the events of an earlier age. Fascinating stuff.

DaisyDragonfly

juliecucciawatts said:
This makes me think of another exercise I like to do with people regarding Saturn. Saturn can be a big scary monster but it doesn't have to be. Saturn has a 28 year cycle. We all have our first Saturn return at age 28. But Saturn aspects for people every 7 years. At age 7 it squares at age 14 it opposes it's natal position at 21 it squares again opposing the 7 year old square ( this opposition at age 21 gives clarity to who you were at 7) and so on.
But here is what is really cool at 28 it returns to the place it was when you were born. At 35 you are back to were you were at age 7 ...at age 42 you get to revisit issues from 14 and at age 49 you get a new perspective on age21. People from this time in your life will even start popping back in and mist if the time there is role reversal involved. Check it out in your own life ... It is uncanny!
Julie

Oh. Oh, my. That's fascinating. I knew about Saturns Return at the age of 28, but not the 7 year revisit. I'm 35 this year, and I am realizing that there's a few things I need to deal with and sort through... and some of them stem to childhood. That's felt pressing recently.

Okay, I'm really looking forward to studying this deck and not least because I have only the scantest knowledge of astrology. It's a wonderful luxury to be able to come here and read your insight too, Julia. Thank you :D