Images in the Gay Tarot

Knight of Hearts

I hope this post is in the right forum. :heart:

For readers of the Gay Tarot, do you find it strange that the images for 10 wands and The Fool look so much alike.. the guy, pictured from behind, walking the highway? In addition to the physical resembance, the image seems more fitting for The Fool than 10 wands.

Getting accustomed to this deck has been something of a challenge for me. For instance, images on other cards also strike me as odd, such as the presence of 5 people in the 4 of cups, and the abundance of children pictured throughout the deck. Maybe I'm just being picky. There are a lot of things that I love about this deck and I'm glad that I have it. I really enjoy it as a representation of my lifestyle. Any thoughts/opinions? :heart:

Thanks,
Knight :TKNC

shadowdancer

they are similar yes. I do have the deck and can get the cards out to have a look but if I remember rightly, on the Fool he is walking a little more dangerously. hang on give me two mins will go and get the deck to get my words right...lol

In a nutshell the Fool is not aware of the dangers and is perhaps not really placing himself or his companion as safely as he could. Shows the naivety etc

Davina

shadowdancer

right am back :D

Can I say this is one of the best decks I have. I use it not too often in readings, but when I do I love the energy and feel. It also plays a part with some cards being in my patchwork deck (made up of favourite images from my collection). I don't even use it for readings where sexual orientation is key - it does for pretty much any reading and the imagery is as such I can dive right in and pick up the story.

If you look at the fool he has no idea where a thumbed lift will take him really and is trusting of anyone who stops. He does not have the puppy on a leash (not really ideal, it could run off) and is standing in the middle of the road. So many variables which show his naivety and innocence.

In the 10 of wands he is choosing to walk, and it could be a llllooongg road ahead for sure. He is facing oncoming traffic (always safe to do) and has the dog on a leash this time).

With regards the children I think it is fair to say gay guys can still be great with kids and make for wonderful dads and uncles. I know cos I have one. This deck shows that and I am glad it did. Otherwise it backs up the wrong stereoptyical view that gay guys are not good around kids. I don't need to elaborate more.

I like the 3 of wands as it shows he knows he will probably never have a kid of his own, to watch grow and mature into adulthood. Yet he is upbeat about that.

Thats the way I see them anyways :D I hope Lee will come by and give some more insights. Suffice to say you would have to cut my hand off to get me to give up my deck. I love it to bits.

Davina

Knight of Hearts

Yes I am an uncle myself and I love my kids as if I was their brother or dad so I definitely identify with and totally appreciate that aspect. It just seems there is an unusual preponderance of children throughout the deck. Not that there's anything wrong with kids being in a 'gay' deck; I guess I just didnt expect to see quite so many lol. :heart:

shadowdancer said:
I like the 3 of wands as it shows he knows he will probably never have a kid of his own, to watch grow and mature into adulthood. Yet he is upbeat about that.

I hadn't gotten that aspect of the 3 wands. In fact, I had found it quite confusing so thank you for that idea. What do you suppose is the significance of the two who are transparent? Could those be the ones he will never be the father of? :)

Regarding the 4 of cups, what do you make of the guys auditioning in the theatre? How do you relate that image to the qualities of the 4 cups?

shadowdancer

well being a deck outside the traditional, I guess we have to look at some cards with a non-traditional eye. I think you are right pointing out the 4 of cups - this is one of them.

The text from the LWB is "A new opportunity or choice presents itself. Everything hangs in the balance. Nervousness, excitement".

None of these are what I would associate with the traditional RWS imagery so can understand the query. (Lee, where are you when we need you...lol)

well this is just my take:
If you find the rear leftsided figure is pertinent to the reading or situation, his energy or vibe is different to the other 3. Is he not putting himseslf forward enough to be given equal consideration? Is he hesitating or holding back through low confidence maybe? Is he not as emotionally motivated as the others and has taken himself out of the reckoning? Or his he assistant to the guy on the chair?

Now let's look at the guy on the chair. If there was a slight link with the traditional RWS it is him. He looks like he has had the presentations made, but his downward glance and rounded posture may indicate none floated his boat. Therefore he is feeling deflated that he may not be able to go forward with what is presented. If that is the case, I almost see the left / rear guy as replicating the chalice we often see being offered as an alternative. Is there the opportunity to find the right person for the role, but he has become disillusioned with what is in front of him?

These are just ideas off the top of my head. I know more can come but there are different directions this card could take me in :) :)

Davina

Shade

The hitchhiking young man is a pretty predominant archetype in gay culture of coming out and leaving a life that never quite fit behind you. This is especially true in images and novels (and well, adult films) that come from the late 60's and early 70's. For meThe ten of wands (and I do believe this is meant to be the character in the Fool) shows that hitch hiker later down the road he is no longer looking for a ride and making his own way.

To quote Benji from the gay film The Broken Hearts Club:

"They remind me how great it used to feel, you know. When you first come out, and every guy in the room is just a possibility. Then you find out we are the possibility."

For me the Ten of Wands is often the "life is so damned hard" card. What I really love about this deck though is that instead of leaving us with doom and gloom in the tens, Lee suggests "So what do you do now?" In this card it is "Keep on walking down the road by yourself. In the Ten of Swords where we see the Rider Waite-ish guy pierced by swords in the back on a computer screen we see a hand pulling the plug on the computer. When our computer is jammed pull the plug and see what happens. Similarly when life is jammed, pull the plug on the situation, it's gone as far as it can go.

Shade

shadowdancer said:
Now let's look at the guy on the chair. If there was a slight link with the traditional RWS it is him. He looks like he has had the presentations made, but his downward glance and rounded posture may indicate none floated his boat. Therefore he is feeling deflated that he may not be able to go forward with what is presented. If that is the case, I almost see the left / rear guy as replicating the chalice we often see being offered as an alternative. Is there the opportunity to find the right person for the role, but he has become disillusioned with what is in front of him?

I really enjoy this take on the card, I hadn't thought of them as auditioning but this take on it really does bring the card in line more with the RWS version.

For my part I see the card as bringing order (Emperor director guy) to an emotional situation (actors, who can live with them?) or more likely helping to direct the actors on how he wants them to convey the emotion of the piece. Creativity is lovely but without direction it will go nowhere. It helps that he is in a chair with 4 feet on the ground.

shadowdancer

Well that 10 of swords is one of the ones I chose for my patchwork deck :)

It has so much more by way of direction over and above seeing 10 swords stuck in someone. And being modern/relevant it is easier to relate to and put into context. Pulling the plug on something that is too much or redundant is a very powerful image.

This deck is not one I hear about often but it is one I hold in very high regard. Out of all the LS decks (And I have had a few, many which were traded) I would say this and the 78 doors are two that are fantastic decks to read with. NOt sure there will ever be a book to go with the Gay deck, but it may open the deck up to others who have not considered it before now.

Davina

Knight of Hearts

shadowdancer said:
If you find the rear leftsided figure is pertinent to the reading or situation, his energy or vibe is different to the other 3. Is he not putting himseslf forward enough to be given equal consideration? Is he hesitating or holding back through low confidence maybe? Is he not as emotionally motivated as the others and has taken himself out of the reckoning? Or his he assistant to the guy on the chair?

Yea I hadn't taken much notice of that guy in the back; had sort of overlooked him as an assistant. Those are all really great takes on the image. My attention always goes to the three auditioners. The most I had gotten from this card before was the "hanging in the balance" feeling you mentioned.. the emotions of "who is winning the part?" But now that I look at it again, it makes as much and maybe more sense seeing it as a representation of wishing for something you do not have? Like the assistant guy wanted a role but he was overlooked and is now relegated to the background. Thanks for pointing him out. :)

Shade said:
For me the Ten of Wands is often the "life is so damned hard" card. What I really love about this deck though is that instead of leaving us with doom and gloom in the tens, Lee suggests "So what do you do now?" In this card it is "Keep on walking down the road by yourself.

I love the positivity of this spin on the 10 wands. And I'm really loving these deeper twists on the traditional, especially the 4 cups representing creativity/emotions finding direction. Awesome new perspective. Thanks for helping me with these. :)

Lee

Hi, sorry I didn't see this thread until recently.

I generally like to keep a low profile -- others' insights are so much more insightful than mine!

Regarding the 3 of Wands, tarotbear's summary in this thread is along the lines of what I had in mind:
tarotbear said:
Wow! Massive departure! As the Protector waves the little girl off to her possible first day of school, he imagines that this will become a familiar scene through the years and sees her as child, grade-school age, and high-school age. In this card of waiting to see what the usual three ships bring you, he is thinking about the possibilities of her growing up, wondering what kind of beauty she will grow up into - and what kind of headaches he's going to have! {Does this guy ever work? LOL!}

For the 4 of Cups, I once again rely on tarotbear:
tarotbear said:
the card of desolation has been replaced by it's modern counterpart - the theatrical audition. This is a barbaric ritualized humilation where you sing or dance or act your heart out and get told 'Thank You' (that means - don't call us we''ll call you in theatrespeak) at the end. Only one person can get the lead, so no matter how prepared you are the casting director makes a decision and cuts you out. (I know too well - I actually auditioned to be Harvey Fierstein's understudy!) The point is - you can always audition for another show tomorrow, and there is no guarantee that this production will last past opening night. Look for the possibilites in every 'loss' situation.

Regarding kids, just to echo shadowdancer's comments -- children are a part of life and they are a part of gay people's lives, even if they aren't parents themselves. As gay people we have friends who have children, we have relatives who have children, and of course we were once children ourselves. Nowadays many gay people are parents. And of course we must remember that not everything on a tarot card needs to be taken literally. A child on a card may simply stand for a youthful or childish aspect of ourselves or others.

This thread is full of insightful comments -- keep 'em coming! :) I love Shade's comments on the 10 of Wands. Regarding the 10 of Swords, I had intended for there to be some ambiguity there -- is the hand plugging in the monitor, or unplugging it? My idea was to emphasize that the choice between plugging and unplugging is ultimately ours.

There's lots of good stuff in other threads here too, so don't be afraid to go exploring.