Doreen Virtue is making a tarot deck...

Le Fanu

There is one large bookstore here and if you go to the Esoteric section, the tarot corner has all her Oracle decks under the heading tarot. Think of all the richness of tarot art, the international publishers, the intelligent systems and all we get is - what - 12, 15 Doreen Virtue decks considered tarot. Shelves and shelves of them. The worst thing is, I have to presume they sell

There is sometimes a Rider Waite deck which some member of staff might have included because they recognise that the others aren't offically "tarot". Now there won't even be that RWS deck.

Forget lamination, forget borders, no single person has wreaked more damage on card-reading than this woman. And she ain't finished yet. This will be the first of a dozen, as shadowdancer said. If I'm wrong, I shall eat one of her unicorns.

Cat*

I'm really looking forward to the Angel Love Oracle (or however it's called). Since Angels have no gender, this should fulfill all our needs for a gender-neutral deck, right? })

I'm also looking forward to see how they make a 100% gentle and safe Tower card. :laugh:

stellar4

Oh Lordy......... followed the link for the tarot, more out of disbelief than anything and now I'm going to need some intensive counselling. Cack.

Sidhe-Ra

Heaven forbid we should use Tarot as a tool to explore the truths of the Universe and deepen our understanding of reality. No, no, no. Let's all go dance with the archangel indigo dolphins of Atlantis in pastel coloured lala land instead.

gregory

Apologies to those who like her, personal tastes vary and that's a wonderful thing but....barf.
:p

For some reason this Virtue person totally passed under my radar (that is rather off a lot of the times) Just checked her up a little and omg she got TONS of decks! But I never seen one lol.
Congratulations on your obliviousness. If I were you I would return as fast as you can....

I'm really looking forward to the Angel Love Oracle (or however it's called). Since Angels have no gender, this should fulfill all our needs for a gender-neutral deck, right? })

I'm also looking forward to see how they make a 100% gentle and safe Tower card. :laugh:
Oh - I shall make one in a minute. Because I CAN :D

Wee_Gypsy

Apologies to those who like her, personal tastes vary and that's a wonderful thing but....barf.

LOL----coulden't have said it better myself
:D

Emily

I only have the one Doreen Virtue Angel Oracle, I think it was the first one she released and I do think, for some people, they have their place. WHSmiths in my town only sells one tarot deck, the Original RWS but always has a good selection of Virtue Angel Oracles so they must sell.

It will be interesting to see how she deals with tarot symbolism, very different from the Oracles she makes. Will I buy her deck? No. I don't like my decks to sugar coat anything, I take the good readings with the bad. It is what makes a tarot deck tarot. I do wonder why after all these years she is trying to cross over from Oracles to tarot. After all not everyone who uses her Oracles will read tarot.

Bhavana

I think she has realised she has well and truly exhausted the oracle market with her numerous decks, and is now starting on a new venture. I know this may sound as rather 'bitchy' (I realised as I typed this came across as a little presumptive) but I am not sure what her motivation is otherwise.

If she only does the one deck, and doesn't create another half dozen back to back, I will quite happily stand corrected.

If the tarot deck sells well, there will be more. And she could continue to make oracles. There are many themes she hasn't touched yet. I don't care for her stuff. I bought two decks back to back a few years ago, couldn't trade them away fast enough. I did like the gilded edges, though....
As for her customers being afraid of tarot, I don't think that is the main reason - while some may be afraid of it, there is also that fact that tarot requires more work, more study, more THINKING. (Now THAT sounds bitchy)
I don't think her tarot deck will sell as well as her oracles.

Bhavana

I do wonder why after all these years she is trying to cross over from Oracles to tarot. After all not everyone who uses her Oracles will read tarot.

It's all about the dollars - and she knows that her fans, if she makes it PRETTY enough, will buy it too.

Onyx

Amazon said:
Tarot has long been revered for giving detailed and accurate forecasts. Doreen Virtue and Radleigh Valentine have created the first deck of tarot cards that is 100 percent gentle, safe, and trustworthy!

But look finally a deck that will be 100% trustworthy!

We are so lucky to live in a time when we can get a deck that is always right, every time!

Onyx.