'Recycled' art in Dame Darcy deck

gregory

I NEED that Lumina deck for the 8 Swords.... but it is too pricey just now.

I can't get too excited about tracing images to recycle. It is unquestionably not a "slavish reproduction" and is very certainly much changed. The fact that so few of us noticed till now kind of says it all.

G6

Well, the issue discussed back then was no about copyright, but that she had no where "admitted" to using this image, nor giving the photographer and/or model credit, or saying she had used any online images as inspiration etc, so the creator of the Lumina made it seem like it was fully her "own" art. Like I said, I'm not too bothered, but some people could view the Dame Darcy deck or Lumina differently when learning it isn't 100% the creators' art and ideas depicted.

Perhaps they should simply state something like, "Tarot imagery curated and reimagined from pre-existing sources." Or "Tarot imagery hulled and repurposed from public domain works."

I would question whether both DD and Lumina had permission or the right to use the existing works in the decks. Especially the celebrity images/likeness.

A designer was recently shut down for using an altered image of Rihanna on a t-shirt.

FaintlyMacabre

repeat

FaintlyMacabre

repeat

Mittkait

To me--drawing a version of a great image from "somewhere" to use in a project isn't the same as making a mermaid deck with cards you copied from someone else's mermaid deck.

It is exactly the same thing. The still from the film Jaws is still under copyright to Universal. Art direction for film is a big job. That still was carefully composed for film by Spielberg and Joe Alves. Not to mention the Film Editor who was Verna Fields.

Taking that collaborated effort to copy and insert in a pretentious comic book takes cojones. But it paid off since he got his pirated work made into a film.

The Dame Darcy deck does the same thing by taking art work from elsewhere. The composition of it was all done, the artist didn't have to extend a lick of thought but only required some tracing.

Le Fanu

I can't get too excited about tracing images to recycle. It is unquestionably not a "slavish reproduction" and is very certainly much changed. The fact that so few of us noticed till now kind of says it all.
I agree. It amuses me to see people outraged after not having noticed it. I love me a bandwaggon.

I, meanwhile, am horrified at the International Icon Tarot. Have you seen that Fool? I'm sure it's traced.

FaintlyMacabre

I agree. It amuses me to see people outraged after not having noticed it. I love me a bandwaggon.

I, meanwhile, am horrified at the International Icon Tarot. Have you seen that Fool? I'm sure it's traced.

Just because it's copied from some relatively obscure source doesn't mean it's not copied. With the plethora of decks, Tarot of the Mermaids has seemed to slip into relative oblivion.

I didn't spend any money on it. If I did, I might have stronger feelings.

Diana

gregory

Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of Mermaids is credited to Pietro Alligo and Mauro de Luca. Apparently Pietro Alligo is the founder of Lo Scarabeo and Art Director (or was); see here
Yes, he still is - that is fairly well known. He's delightful. And yes, Mauro works with them.

Actually I am betting Pietro would be mildly amused. I might ask him....

FaintlyMacabre

repeat

gregory

I wouldn't if I were you. People very much ARE aware of those. So may of us had childhoods based around them. Doreen Virtue was about to use them for her Fairy deck and all hell broke loose; she had new neon artwork done instead....

But a NICE one based on them - I'd actually like that.