my gold cats have arrived!!!!

shadowdancer

I have a parcel sitting here right now ready to dive into!!
I cannot believe it is here already - am I the first??

Will dive and and and then feed back with an update

Heck that was quick......

Davina

shadowdancer

showed no restraint whatsoever and have now dived in... :D

first impressions are:

the tarot bag is gorgeous. Karen you must have been a mind reader. I had forgotten to indicate what colour I wanted, and then came back with an e mail asking for gold. Then thought a few days ago it might look better in the maroon/red one and what have you sent me? The colour I eventually wanted but hadn't originally asked for! :)

I opted for the tarot reader and think it was a good choice. Although a printing on silk, the detail and clarity is excellent. the gold stitch work is beautifully done. Again, a lovely little touch with the cat charm. My only worry is putting the box in the bag - I don't want to snag any of the lining.

The journal is as good as the one which came with the VR. We have the Moon and 7 of pentacles on the front and rear covers.

The two book marks are a wonderful and appreciated addition. Thank you again for those. It is these little touches that really do sometimes go unappreciated but they are lovely. (Hermit and Page of swords)
With regards the page bookmark, I think the gold finish is actually better than on the actual card. His tunic has texture and definition which is not quite there on the actual card.

Now for the cards themselves. In fairness I am going to have to sit and compare these with the original deck to see the differences in their full glory. The gold again has been well used, and not overly used either. Some cards, (such as the Chariot) do lend themselves to being almost totally gilted :) but it does work, as it has not been used unless absolutely necessary.

The Hierophant showed amazing use of the gold in my opinion - the attention to detail in order not to overshadow the original artwork is very good indeed.

I think the only card it hasn't quite worked with is the Page of Swords, but overall, absolutely no complaints. There is also a slight blurring on the text for the 4 of swords, but this does not affect the actual picture, so again no complaints.

Now for card stock - it is flexible but that is not an issue at all if anything I see it as a bonus. It means if I am a klutz, and overly bend a card it will not stay out of shape. The flexibility should add to the fact they are not going to get tatty any time soon. The cards are slightly longer than what I can shuffle easily but not a problem, as I can shuffle them sideways instead. The larger sized image does make a difference compared to the original style when these kitties first came out.

Karen, Alex - what can I say. Thanks for all the hard work you have both put into this. I have followed your ups and downs and frustrations with this deck. It has been worth every second of what you have endured, and you should both be very proud of yourselves. If there is one thing you will both go down as being remembered for in years to come it will be attention to quality, going out and choosing subjects for the tarot that might not have worked, but you have turned them into true tarot decks, and also for your care and consideration to each and every customer. You do so much over and above anyone could expect of you - A HUGE HUG AND THANK YOU!!

:)

baba-prague

Yes, you're the first!

Oh goodness, I'm so relieved that they are arriving.

I like the Page of Swords by the way, but yes, he does have a LOT of gold (do you think a bit too much? Maybe we did get a bit carried away). But he sparkles in the sunlight :)
In general we have used quite a lot of gold on these cards as it fits the baroque theme so well - they look VERY pretty under light.

More later - have to go on a bead hunt!

shadowdancer

of course it means my one deck wonder is out the window for a while....lol

Yep no will power but if something like this arrives it would be rude, if not insensitive to the feline community to put it in a drawer for another 5 months.

Davina

HearthCricket

Oh, you luck! I probably won't see mine for months the way customs is acting. I can't even remember the bags I ordered. I do remember getting some that came with the set, plus ordering extras, and have 2 copies of the Golden coming and 2 copies of the 2nd edition, but I guess most of it will be a surprise, unless Karen remembers what went into the box and wants to tell me! :D

a_shikhs

Davina you are so lucky!!! :D :D The way you've described the gold kitties, they sound gorgeous. Oh now I really can't wait to get mine. grrrrrr...

shadowdancer

okay, update of where the differences are between the new gold and first edition BBC

Overall, so much more vibrancy and colour in the new decks.
Knight wands = coat is a lot richer in colour.
Queen Pentacles = bow on the cat, different rear scenery.
8 Wands = now a kite string with a butterfly at the end.
3 Pentacles = cats repositioned.
2 cups = blue cape instead of green.
Death = Skeletal character now recoloured (blue)
Fool = re coloured jacket.
Ace Pentacles = rear scenery changed.
7 wands = intenser sky colouring
9 pentacles = different colour waistcoat
Wheel of Fortune = change of colour to under clothing
6 wands = now a roaring lion
3 wands = change of cat (bless it)
Tower = intenser sky
Ace cups = now has blue water
10 swords = change to sky (now has clouds)
2 swords = yellow dress, change to background.
Devil = now that is a scarey monster! also now a blue dress
High Priestess = nice purple coloured sky
4 wands = totally different
Chariot = different scenery
Justice = change of dress
Strength = dragon now blue, also now a pink dress
6 Pentacles = change of position of cat
Ace wands = background changed
8 swords = not now night time

I think that has covered the main changes. Overall they are for the better IMO - the colours seem more apt.

Davina

Owlface

Gold cats

My parcel has arrived too !

It's always a pleasure to unpack a baba studio parcel and this one has been no exception. And the cards ! Exquisite, as expected. I'm having particularly fun spotting the difference (remember that kids' game ?) between the standard and the gold versions.

It is all. . .well, gorgeously golden and beautifully Baroque. Thank you, Karen and Alex, plus all the team involved in printing, packing, bag-making, etc. etc. , the dauntless Vasilissa not least.

And my Gold cats will be crossing Europe again at the weekend when I put them in my luggage and transport our good selves to. . .Prague ! Thanks, Karen, for getting these to me so quickly.

AngelC

Yay! Kitties made it to Sweden too.
This is the first time ever I had to sign for a Baba package but I made it to the store in time (running) :D

I'm sitting here with a big silly grin on my face and shuffling.

AngelC

gregory

Mine too - and in time to take the second edition "regular" deck to Edinburgh on Thursday :D (I think the UK must be doing best here...)

I shall spend more time with them later. :D In peace. Of an evening ! With the cat.....