Chinese style deck

willowfox

Does anyone know what tarot cards, with a Chinese theme, use the suits of "golds", "flags", "swords" and "fans"?

The deck has only 53 cards, no majors, and uses only three court cards for each suit, Jack, Queen, and King.

The 53rd card is some kind of wild card with horses flying about. The ace to 10 have no pictures, only symbols, flags, fans and whatever.

The cards are playing card size.

I have scanned some of the cards but I don't know how to paste them here?

euripides

hmm, interesting. I'm not having any luck with google so far. I love puzzles like this!

You could try Tinypic.com to host your picture and add a link,

another useful site is tineye.com

If you do a good clear scan and crop it close as it might be if someone uploaded a sample card, it will search and see if it can find it on the internet. Not sure if it would be useful for something like this, but I often use it to check for website plagiarism.

euripides

actually having re-read your post it sounds to me like you've got a standard deck of Chinese playing cards. (Well I don't know if 'standard' but anyway, a normal 52 card deck) - I gather 'golds' is from the spanish 'or' gold coins.

or maybe it's not actually Chinese

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Spades_(suit)

if the suits on that page are correct.

willowfox

Yes the deck is very similar to an ordinary deck of cards but has an extra card in it for some reason.

All the court cards depict Chinese people.

Golds I presume would be pents, but then it has fans and flags?

Aerin

You may need to make your scans smaller depending on how you have saved them e.g. convert to a jpeg or something, a bitmap is too big. Then you can attach files (look below where you are typing your post and select "manage attachments"). You just browse and find them on your pc.

If the file is too big then you will be Told and you can just go and compress it using whatever graphics editing thing you are using/ the software that came with your scanner.

Any indication on the cards for a publisher? It's possible that the horse on the 53rd card is some kind of publisher logo.

willowfox

Wow, I have tried for over 30 minutes to upload a picture and can't.

And the 53rd card is definitely an extra card.

Aerin

willowfox said:

What's the error message? I just tried with a random file I have on my pc and it seems to work OK ...

Could be that your files are too big. They do need to be quite teeny, jpeg and jpg seem to work well as they produce tens of kb as against MBs.

Attachments

• potofgold.JPG
    potofgold.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 97

nisaba

willowfox said:

the equivalent of a joker? A trumping wild card? Wild horses, after all ...

willowfox

nisaba said:
the equivalent of a joker? A trumping wild card? Wild horses, after all ...

No, nothing like that, and they are definitely some kind of oriental fortune telling cards with a very tarot feeling to them but lacking the majors but instead having a single extra card.

The cards are called the three "groups" or something as I cannot find the meaning of the final word "gock", I'm not sure if its a Chinese or Thai word.

willowfox

Aerin said:
What's the error message? I just tried with a random file I have on my pc and it seems to work OK ...

Could be that your files are too big. They do need to be quite teeny, jpeg and jpg seem to work well as they produce tens of kb as against MBs.

The error message is that my attempts are always to big and so far I have not found a way to change the picture to jpeg etc.