Tarot Power

Tanga

I love the story of the accuracy. :)
Your reader was psychic.

I am with Gregory. Prediction is not for me.
Plus, I think that the "waiting and waiting" for things to happen, could skew the whole thing (self fulfilling prophesy etc.) as well as skew quality of life whilst one is waiting. Depends on the sitter and the circumstances.

My mother's psychic.
She doesn't use it - sometimes it does intrude but she keeps that to herself. (she was born in a culture and time when it was frowned upon). She dreamt of her bosses death and he died the next day - he was taken away by paramedics exactly as she had seen in her dream.
She said she would have preferred not to know - because she couldn't have done anything about it. There wasn't enough info and even if there had been??
If you see what I mean.

Re the reader's cards: If he used 12 cards and then 10 later... well he just isn't using a fixed number.
Why confusing? Using a fixed set of cards isn't a "fixed rule".
It's an idea to give a structure for working with the sitter.

The Celtic Cross - doesn't have to have 10 cards in it.
Depends on how one wants to use it.
I was taught with 12 - or 22 if I was using Astrological houses (which I don't. I'm not an Astrologist).
Plus there's just using a free-form spread, where the reader may have a fixed number of cards but no "set meanings" for them - or they might do it completely by intuition.
e.g. Jodorowski method - you speak to your sitter and start laying down 3-5 cards...
and continue until you feel the story/session is complete.

I recently went to have a reading with a friend who used 2 small spreads. Completely on-the-fly. We talked and he laid down a CC with 6 cards.
Then as we continued talking, he decided he'd borrow my ring for some psychometry...
Then when he saw we still had some time left... he laid down another 5 cards...
The spontaneity was delightful. :)

gregory

You need the number of cards you need. I usually use 3. Often just one. (and no, not for yes/no reading;. they are fairly pointless. Toss a coin for that.)

SaskMick

I thought the whole point of tarot was to predict things. If tarot is not for that then what's it's purpose ?

I use dowsing rods for yes and no answers to questions, but I can't get the detail that tarot can give.

PS, I don't doubt he had psychic abilities, but he would always be reading the cards intensely when he told me what would happen.

Barleywine

I think the divinational value in tarot lies not in trying to accurately predict what is going to happen, but in helping the querent prepare for the various things that MIGHT happen. For me, it's all about providing situational awareness and developmental insight. I call it "getting under the skin of objective reality."

gregory

I think the divinational value in tarot lies not in trying to accurately predict what is going to happen, but in helping the querent prepare for the various things that MIGHT happen. For me, it's all about providing situational awareness and developmental insight. I call it "getting under the skin of objective reality."
Complicated way of saying it :joke: but I agree with the Jabberwock. I have no interest in predictive tarot.

And sure, you use your abilities in combo with the cards. We all do.

SaskMick

What is divinational value exactly ? I'm fast becoming confused about what tarot reading is.

AnemoneRosie

I read predictively - but that's because, like Tanga's mother, I get psychic flashes that I don't know what to do with, nor how to manage.
I use the Tarot to help me figure out what to do with the psychic flashes - they scare me. Tarot talks me down out of my tree when I get scared.

Sulis

Predicting isn't for me either.. I tend to use tarot to get insight into situations, to offer various paths forward (advice) and for self reflection.

I believe that the past creates the present and the present creates the future so by looking at the past and present aspects of something we can say what the outcome of something may be.. Tarot shows possibilities.

I think tarot allows us to see a situation from another perspective, it lets you step back and that often lets you see things that you just can't see when you're in the thick of something.

I think Barleywine says it really well here:
Barleywine said:
For me, it's all about providing situational awareness and developmental insight. I call it "getting under the skin of objective reality."

Tanga

Tarot - can be used for so many things... Wohoo! :)

Prediction is not one I favour. (as I'm not psychic).
But Prediction is what has been most popularised in the media - and it's what lots of sitters expect as a result. Sadly - I think.

I read predictively - but that's because, like Tanga's mother, I get psychic flashes that I don't know what to do with, nor how to manage.
I use the Tarot to help me figure out what to do with the psychic flashes - they scare me. Tarot talks me down out of my tree when I get scared.

That's cool. :)

gregory

What is divinational value exactly ? I'm fast becoming confused about what tarot reading is.
Divinational value - what you can get out of a reading. The whole value of the thing.