Which card does the Scythe's blade cut?

MissNine

In the French Cartomancy deck (big cards with borders), the Scythe is sitting blade up on the stack of hay. Looks to me like the sharp side is looking to the LEFT in the picture. **I might be wrong here, as I'm totally new to this.**

For instance, if you had Card A - SCYTHE - Card B, would it be saying there's a change or abrupt end to Card A or Card B?

I should add that I've stayed with the French traditional method. I'm not really sure how this factors in, but I was cautioned that I should pick a method.
All the blogs are unclear as to what deck they are using, so I'm thoroughly confused!

Your help is much appreciated!!! I'd like to do a GT with confidence soon :)

Lee

Hi Miss Nine to Five,

I believe there are two different ways of handling this issue. In one way, the direction indicated on the image (as in your example of the Scythe, also for Clouds [dark and light sides]), is important. In the other way, a standard is followed regardless of the direction of the image on the particular deck you're using.

My guess is that for the majority of people, the direction of the image you're looking at is paramount. So, in your example, since the sharp side is to the left, it would be card A on the left that would be affected by the Scythe.

One circumstance in which it might make sense to disregard the particular image's direction is if you use several different decks, where the images point in different directions. In that case, you might prefer to have a standard direction for Scythe and Clouds rather than read them differently for the different decks.

MissNine

Hi Miss Nine to Five,

I believe there are two different ways of handling this issue. In one way, the direction indicated on the image (as in your example of the Scythe, also for Clouds [dark and light sides]), is important. In the other way, a standard is followed regardless of the direction of the image on the particular deck you're using.

My guess is that for the majority of people, the direction of the image you're looking at is paramount. So, in your example, since the sharp side is to the left, it would be card A on the left that would be affected by the Scythe.

One circumstance in which it might make sense to disregard the particular image's direction is if you use several different decks, where the images point in different directions. In that case, you might prefer to have a standard direction for Scythe and Clouds rather than read them differently for the different decks.

Finally! An explanation that clears it all up for me. Thank you, Lee!!!!
Im going to start a journal for my Lenormand readings to see how things evolve. Tracking my readings is the best confirmation I've got a reading system down.

I have to check out the clouds in my deck and scrutinize it as well. Neither side looks brighter to me, but maybe I'm not being critical enough.

I just bought Rana George's book on reading Lenormand and will be checking with the discussion group on it. It sounds from reviewers that the book is an excellent teaching resource for the beginning reader.

Thank you again!