Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread ~ Part 3

2_Journey

Hi everyone.

Help! My feeling of malaise about my deck and about tarot in general is persisting! I didn't work with the cards for a while due to a very, very busy work schedule, and now that I have returned to them I am not as enthusiastic as I once was. I feel like I've lost my momentum. Are there any suggestions on how I could go about getting it back?

rwcarter

2_J,

Try working with them in a different way. Arrange them by immediate reaction to the image (like vs dislike). Play War (? - kid's game where the stack is dealt into two or more piles and the top card from each pile is turned over and the higher card wins). Shuffle the cards upside down so you see the images as they move and merge together with one another. Try playing Concentration (although I'm not quite sure how you're going to incorporate the Majors). Maybe even play a few games of 78 card pickup....

Rodney

SistaSpirit

Rodney thanks for welcoming me into this group. I would like to change my signature to reflect that I am an IDSer. What do i need to add to my siggie?

Chiska

Well, so far so good with the Pythagorean Tarot. I was reminiscing over some reviews, comments I read concerning this deck and I am wondering if the frustration comes from the fact that there is just so much going on in this deck. There is alchemy, Pythagorean Numerology, Ancient Greece/Hellenic type "stuff" (for want of a better word), and much! much!! more.

So far, I am concentrating on what I am comfortable with; with what I understand (more or less). Numerology isn't really "my thing," but I am into math. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am comfortable with that. I seem to understand things when put into a mathematical context. The Greek mythology doesn't bother me at all.

Pythagoras has an interesting history - I have been trying to read more about him and his philosophy. Very interesting stuff.

What I do like, so far, is the references to the Cosmological Stage that is made for each of the pip cards. I find that the use of the colors and the images (once I understand the images that I don't know) makes more intuitive sense than I thought they would. I love the Mythic tarot pips - each suit tells a definite story and they are easy to get lost in.

I ramble, but just letting y'all know I haven't gone stark raving mad yet. I am finding that my initial frustration with the cards came from trying to read them just like any other deck. Ain't happening. These are their own thing and demand to be treated as such.

2_Journey

rwcarter said:
Try working with them in a different way. Arrange them by immediate reaction to the image (like vs dislike). Play War (? - kid's game where the stack is dealt into two or more piles and the top card from each pile is turned over and the higher card wins). Shuffle the cards upside down so you see the images as they move and merge together with one another. Try playing Concentration (although I'm not quite sure how you're going to incorporate the Majors). Maybe even play a few games of 78 card pickup....

Those are good suggestions! I may also try focussing on the majors for a little while and writing a sort of "hero's journey" prose piece to get in touch with the cards again. I may also take out the Triple Goddess Tarot that I had put away about a month ago, and compare the two decks majors. (I'm now envisioning writing some form of conversation comparing the Hero's Journey with the Heroine's Journey, although I'm not sure this idea has fully formed yet.)

I like the idea of just shuffling. Whenever I take out my cards I feel like I need to do something with them, rather than just enjoying the tactile feeling of shuffling.

Thanks for your suggestions!

rwcarter

SistaSpirit said:
Rodney thanks for welcoming me into this group. I would like to change my signature to reflect that I am an IDSer. What do i need to add to my siggie?
Sista,

You can put whatever you want:
IDS - Rider Waite
IDSing RWS til 13 Mar 09
etc.

Rodney

nicky

rwcarter said:
Sista,

You can put whatever you want:
IDS - Rider Waite
IDSing RWS til 13 Mar 09
etc.

Rodney

I think what SistaSpirit was asking is where to add it in automatically ... you can go to your control panel and edit signature option..

if I am wrong and that wasn't what you are asking sorry !

Nicky

nicky

Chiska said:
Well, so far so good with the Pythagorean Tarot. I was reminiscing over some reviews, comments I read concerning this deck and I am wondering if the frustration comes from the fact that there is just so much going on in this deck. There is alchemy, Pythagorean Numerology, Ancient Greece/Hellenic type "stuff" (for want of a better word), and much! much!! more.

So far, I am concentrating on what I am comfortable with; with what I understand (more or less). Numerology isn't really "my thing," but I am into math. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am comfortable with that. I seem to understand things when put into a mathematical context. The Greek mythology doesn't bother me at all.

Pythagoras has an interesting history - I have been trying to read more about him and his philosophy. Very interesting stuff.

What I do like, so far, is the references to the Cosmological Stage that is made for each of the pip cards. I find that the use of the colors and the images (once I understand the images that I don't know) makes more intuitive sense than I thought they would. I love the Mythic tarot pips - each suit tells a definite story and they are easy to get lost in.

I ramble, but just letting y'all know I haven't gone stark raving mad yet. I am finding that my initial frustration with the cards came from trying to read them just like any other deck. Ain't happening. These are their own thing and demand to be treated as such.

I really liked the elemental information in that deck ...the hot wet cold dry stuff... of course I would need to study the hell out of that deck to be anywhere comfy with it...but it looks like such a valuable deck to study :)

SistaSpirit

Thanks Rodney and Nicky, I needed a suggestion on what I should put in my siggie.

nicky

ah then nevermind...Rodney had you the first time ...

personally I am thinking of changing mine to Thoth is killing me LOL!

Nicky :)