"Can you give me some numbers...

Debra

nisaba said:
It is my feeling that any numbers you draw would be *less* likely to come out than before you draw them, because they have already come out once ...

I'm not following, Nisaba, and I'd like to, because I am intrigued by Nevada's suggestion.

Straining my brain to remember statistics: First time through, each card has a 1/78 chance of being drawn; subsequent draws would be 1/77, 1/76, 1/75 etc. It's 1/n; 1/n-1 etc.

(Whew. I must lie down for a moment.)

Ok, I'm recovered.

To give each card an equal chance of being drawn in a series requires replacing each drawn card into the deck each time.

So one might draw #34, for example, more than once in a series of draws.

Since I don't know a thing about how the lotteries here work, I don't know how many numbers one would even want if one wanted them, which I don't but yesterday's client did. I assume if there are, say, six numbers in the lotto, she could specify 34, 34, 34, 34, 34, 34; or any combination of any 6. But I don't know.

(Shall I bet on #34?)

Nevada

magpie9 said:
Lighting a candle to focus intention works better than me and anything involving numbers. People believe what people believe. Baroli apparently believes that using a device -- such as a candle-- as a focus doesn't work, and is a rip off. OK. She can believe that.
I think the idea of focus is what's important. I believe in the candle notion. I'd use them myself if I weren't afraid my cat would burn the house down. For me prayer beads work. But I think that's the key, for someone to find what works for them, helps them feel empowered and centered instead of lost in chaos. The candle might help the customer, it might not. But it gets her to think about focusing her energy, on taking positive action instead of worrying and feeling desperate -- which solves nothing and feeds a downward spiral of hopelessness and apathy. She'll still have to find what works for her.

Rosanne

Interesting thread....
Firstly the candles.
When I am focussing on someone- I make a little origami paper boat place a tea light (lit) and send it off down the river. It is an outward action to highlight an inward intention. I personally feel one must do something to make the intent concrete. Ritual. Wearing a wedding ring is ritual and it is the outward sign of the commitment. Lighting candles, for me, is ritual and quite important. It kind of formalises things. Try and recall how many little rituals we do daily, it will most likely surprise you. Nothing wrong with selling your host's goods either. They are selling yours by alllowing readings.

Now to lottery numbers.
Two things on sitters minds are love- who is doing what to who and not paying and luck.
I have bought a lottery ticket weekly for 22 years with the same numbers. I have had some lucky money. I am probally just slightly ahead of the costs right now. I enjoy this weekly binge of $8. I rationalise the cost by the community funds it contributes. Win win situation.
Can Tarot fortell numbers- you would have to have a numbered deck and I do- it is a little Italian Tarot- but I guess I would get it out if someone directly asked for numbers; with the proviso of course that the odds of the cards been right in this case are slim. People who are desperately short of money look to lady luck- what have they got to lose? I perhaps would take a different tack now, and ask the cards to suggest concrete avenues of financial help. Looking for a little lateral thinking, I would explain. I think the key is to recognise that someone is telling you sideways that money has become an issue and if there were not any cards about money- I would bet there would be heaps of cups/wands.
Anyway from an historic point of view I was discussing elsewhere the ancient Italian tradition of smorfia- Lottery cards- go google smorfia. It was started earlier than Tarot in Venice by a smart street wise carpet salesman, and later the cards were used for dream casting. There are fools, and queens, traitors and monkeys, beans and barrels with numbers. Card 13 is a jinx would not land you Lottery.
~Rosanne

Aerin

Lotteries.

The UK one. 49 numbers, choose 6 in any order.
Odds of winning the jackpot: 1 in 13,983,816 (which I think is (49*48*47*46*45*44)/ (6*5*4*3*2) see http://www.webmath.com/lottery.html for a lottery calculator)
1,2,3,4,5,6 just as likely to come up as any other combination but a lot of people choose it so you would have to share. Also a lot of people use birthdays apparently so 1-31 more likely to be chosen than 32-49.

So you would have to buy all those combinations to be sure. On the other hand, you can look at it as someone, somewhere will win the money eventually.

If you can use Tarot to predict it then you would be very rich, and a one-off win wouldn't convince me: you would need a week-after-week hit rate to do that.

debra, I think you dealt with it well.

Aerin x

gregory

debra said:
nisaba said:
It is my feeling that any numbers you draw would be *less* likely to come out than before you draw them, because they have already come out once ...

This is why I object to those little toys with the round beads that you shake into the holes.
I'm not following, Nisaba, and I'd like to, because I am intrigued by Nevada's suggestion.
I THINK what nisaba means is that you have sort of karmically used up the numbers you have drawn in relation to that specific lottery.... if you get me.... It made perfect sense until I saw that you didn't get it !

I love Rosanne's floating candles thing.... I shall go float some later today (have excess of tealights and need some space ;))

nisaba

gregory said:
I THINK what nisaba means is that you have sort of karmically used up the numbers you have drawn in relation to that specific lottery.... if you get me.... It made perfect sense until I saw that you didn't get it !
Or even mathematically.

If you look at the mathematical concept of probabilities, the probabilities that a given sequence of numbers chosen for an event will some out a second time in that event are way-way-way astronomical, far more remote than just choosing the right numbers randomly.

And what happens if you dowse the numbers, then get the numbers from the week-before-last? <mischief-grin>

Debra

Ok, I got it.

But the odds of getting "set A" of numbers from tarot and having the lottery produce "set A" also are no worse than the odds of IMAGINING "set A" and having them come up.

Either way, in your typical "anyone can play and lots do" lottery, the odds are dreadful.

Tharivol

The problem with the using up numbers claim is that isn't how chance works. The numbers drawn right now have no bearing on the numbers drawn yesterday, no matter what medium was used. Take a coin as a simple example. It doesn't know what was flipped last, each flip is its own instance.

If we can accept that, then it follows that the system used to draw lotteries is also 100% affected by chance, not prior events. The often quoted "law of averages" only says what is EXPECTED to happen over a sufficiently large number of trials. Playing the lottery every day for the rest of your life won't be large enough.

With those two, using the tarot, or any tool, to predict numbers is as accurate as any other method. Short of manipulating the system, it's impossible to tell what's going to come up with any given draw.

That said, it never hurts to try. =^_^=

Debra

Thanks, Tharivol. This is vaguely familiar.

Do I have this right?

Nisaba is pointing to the joint probability of any two sets of numbers (mine, and the lottery winning numbers) being the same.

Those odds are the published lottery odds of winning.

My decision of what numbers to play on the lottery, however I make it, is independent of the lottery itself.

I looked up our state lottery and there are lots of different games and different ways to put your money into the state education fund, which is where the profit goes. I can't figure it out and I'm not heavily motivated to try: http://www.tnlottery.com/

I am hopeful this client can find her own strengths and start using them more to make herself and others happy.

When I asked what she liked to do, where her talents lie (8 of pents) she said "nothing, nothing." She thought some more, and it turns out that she likes to fix people's hair, but her granddaughter won't let her. I suggested she keep her eyes open for opportunities, like people who might appreciate it, maybe old people in her neighborhood who are feeling lonely and would be happy for a nice hairdo. She said she wants to see me next month and if she does, I'll let you all know how she's doing. If she asks me for numbers again...well thanks to you all, I have some more options and lots to think about.

tartanwolf

I have never actually been asked! In a book i have somewhere there is a lottery spread! I might give it a go myself, never even won a tenner before :O

Edit found it:

Cards A: is this a good day to buy a ticket
Card B: What obstacles must be overcome
Card C: What is my mental attitude toward winning.
Cards 1-6 : will be the numbers

------A------
----C---B----
-6-5-4-3-2-1-

TO DO:

Just use major arcana, separate from deck and shuffle. Place cards in a b and c. If cards are negative, not a good day to buy a ticket. End reading.

If positive, place three cards in each position, so three for position 1, three for position 2, etc. Pick up the three cards for position one, and add numebrs of the cards together. Do for positions 2-6 also. If any of the totals are MORE than can be chosen in the lottery, stop reading, its not a good day. If totals of numbers are within the lottery number range and positive ABC cards, go buy a ticket!

Sounds like fun :D