"Don't make a major life decision...

moderndayruth

Grizabella said:
Maybe there will eventually come a time when I do base some decisions just on the cards but right now I don't foresee that.

Hmm, now if i had nearby a reader i trust, i think i would; the things is that i mostly read for myself and these readings to some extent are influenced by my current mood - not too often, but often enough for me to notice, the cards reflect how i feel and what i think anyway.

(Of course, it opens all another discourse about law of attraction and the influence of our thoughts on the objective reality, but i wouldn't go into that here.)

Certainly, there are cases when i feel totally depressed about some situation and the cards show me the positive side of it, and viceversa; i mostly noticed that in the relationship readings (not necessarily romantic ones) - as i live in a culture which is foreign to me, the cards do help me understand people's motives - where my commons sense fails.
What i can say with certainty - many friendships i would 't have invested so much into haven't the cards indicated it was the right thing to do; also, in some relationships (again , not romantic) i would have invested far more, haven't the cards been saying that its meaningless; in that domain i trust both the cards and my own interpretation of their message.

turtlebite

I have never made a major life decision based on tarot, which is not to say that I never would. I think that's one of those things you can't really know until you actually face the situation. A lot of people think they know how they would react in certain situations but when they get there find their reaction is different than expected.

Right now I don't think I would base a major life decision entirely on a tarot reading, but I would certainly take it seriously and tread cautiously. The only big decision I've ever consulted the tarot for is going back to school and it did have a lot of influence on the major I chose but I already had some idea before asking and wasn't surprised by what it told me.

Elena

I have made a major decision life based on tarot readin before 8 years and even after so many years I know I was do god.At that time I was't even dream to read tarot my self but I had a good tarot reader in my country.When I was plan to emigrate in Belgium she was say that I will be in danger but only for a short time and after everithing will be ok.I was take her reading and advice to and...after more or less one week hier I begon a really new and better life.
P.S: Sorry for my english...

214red

why would you not make a major life decision using tarot as one of your decision making tools...

Aerin

214red said:
why would you not make a major life decision using tarot as one of your decision making tools...

The only one though?

I've used it to finally decide on leaving a job, but it wasn't a case of being quite OK and then someone saying "Leave your job - it's in the cards". It was something I looked to extend my thinking. Before making a final decision I even went and got a paid reading, something I haven't done before or since (in addition to the reading I'd done myself).

So "one" of my tools, not "the" tool.

214red

Aerin said:
The only one though?

I've used it to finally decide on leaving a job, but it wasn't a case of being quite OK and then someone saying "Leave your job - it's in the cards". It was something I looked to extend my thinking. Before making a final decision I even went and got a paid reading, something I haven't done before or since (in addition to the reading I'd done myself).

So "one" of my tools, not "the" tool.
I go with my heart, if it feels right there i dont need anything else to support it, so if the cards reflect that, and feel right, then i go for it.

Why do tarot if your not going to beleive in it?

I trust the messages i get.

WalesWoman

Yeesh... it's hard to say. I think I've made some major decisions based on card readings, but since it was major, based my decision on the outcome of several readings, other people's advice and what I felt deep inside.

I had a hard choice, to not give up on a broken relationship or become involved with someone else. Getting involved with someone else seemed to be a happier sure bet solution, since it was their idea in the first place. The cards even said so, that we'd be happy, but only for a short while... but ultimately what didn't work in the broken relationship had to go in order for it to work. Maybe it confirmed what I wanted to hear or maybe it was exactly what I needed to know...
needless to say, I decided to fight for the relationship. The sad thing was less than two years later, that other guy died of cancer. I hadn't thought of death as the probably ending, I assumed it would be due to the fact he just wanted someone to fool around and laugh with and not a serious commitment.

Kissa

I think it is about honesty to myself: did I choose to ignore the warning signs I have gotten in real life?

I'm terribly skeptical. I have trouble accepting that tarot can bring to light something that still lies completely in the darkness.

Dunno.
Maybe this is why I have trouble with tarot sometimes, because it is way too honest and not politically correct enough. Cannot pretend with tarot cards, can I? they blow the truth to my face anyway. Then I choose to *not understand it* and get frustrated with those stupid cards that deliver cryptic messages I can't understand or I choose to discard them when I know I am doing BS and acting against my own good, my values etc.

Altogether, in my very limited experience as a tarot reader for myself and others, I don't think tarot cards give messages from out of space, they bring to my attention something I saw but haven't noticed enough or something I chose to ignore. Then after a tarot reading, I connect the dots. And the tarot cards tell me the same as what my guts tell if I listen. So no really, I don't base my decision only on a tarot reading.

euripides

214red said:
Why do tarot if your not going to beleive in it?

It depends on -how- you 'believe' in it - or rather, how you feel tarot works. There are many different views on that. Some believe a deity has an influence, some believe there's some kind of universal connection, some think we subconsciously 'choose' the cards in some way, and some think that they are entirely random but the meaning is generated by the way we read.

And there's probably some other ideas I haven't thought about.

And then of course, there's the possibility of human error. If you go with the God or Universe view, then maybe you were supposed to draw a different card or choose a different layer of meaning... maybe your intuition is off....

Oh one other thing. It's a quite common view that the cards give a snapshot of things (or the future) AS THEY ARE at this moment. IE, if you continue walking on the path in this direction, you're going to bump into THIS. However as we know in life (butterfly effect) sometimes only a very small shift is required to change the future quite dramatically. Sometimes we might need to really deliberately step onto another path, and sometimes things just change.