"Excuse me...but...are those Tarot cards?"

.::Cerridwen::.

That is such a great story... I am gonna have to give taking my cards out in public a try :)

inanna_tarot

hurry up annabelle and post back with your reading stories!
Reading your story Terri has made me want to do it, but i havent done many face to face readings and so i'm nervous about it lol At least reading for strangers is better in that they wont see me again lol
Maybe I'll be brave enough soon :) Definately something to keep in mind.

Blessings,
Sezo
x

PlatinumDove

Oh Terri that's awesome, I wish that would happen for me, I just get strange looks when I break out my Tarot cards. Yup. I'm the freak of the lab.

Reed

Congrats Terri!

So far, I've only read online and for myself, but reading for others is uncharted territory for me.

I've told a few friends that I read, and they've shown some interest. We'll see what happens...

R

tmgrl2

rainwolf said:
I feel like it I bring out my cards in hopes of showing them off to get a reading, that I am disrespecting them. I know others will disagree, but I feel like they should either come to you or that conversation should lead up to it, etc.

I perhaps didn't state what happened clearly.....Although bringing a deck to a public place and setting out cards and taking notes.... is certainly a way to "attract" people to the Tarot, rather than "solicit" readings, today's happening was ...well...just what happened.

I brought the deck in with me because I had just picked it up from the post office...and because I felt the need to do a reading for myself...and had a spot to sit with room for the cards.

What happened....happened. I do respect and encourage those, however, who take their cards with them to places with the hope of "attracting" readings. It is a wonderful way of opening the doors in a non-threatening way to people who are curious about the Tarot...and many of them are.

One of my personal goals with the Tarot is to foster an understanding of what the Tarot is. I joined the Association for Tarot Studies because the statement of its purposes harmonizes fully with my own beliefs.

Rather than paraphrase...here is the membership page:

http://association.tarotstudies.org/membership.html

Some people use the Tarot exclusively for themselves and/or for friends and family. Others study the Tarot. Some people collect decks. Others read professionally part or full-time.

I don't need to read the Tarot for income. I read Tarot because...

(oops...that's another thread....)

because....that which I keep for myself is lost forever....

That which I give to others is forever mine....it's about giving back, giving to others and about how our own cups are never empty when we do.

So...my event today....simply happened because a deck arrived at the post office. I had to opportunity to talk about Tarot with people who were interested. They asked questions...good questions. They shared their own understandings and misunderstandings about Tarot. They talked about readings done for them.

A little more knowledge and love for the Tarot was spread around today...

I hope.

terri

tmgrl2

Good to see so many of you encouraged to take the next step.

Even if you choose NOT to read live, carrying cards, setting some out, taking notes...what a wonderful way to bring knowledge about our love for Tarot to others.

That is what happened today. Sometimes, I am glad when I have a period where I don't do live readings....but then I get the itch and somehow, more people contact me. I am limiting my readings now....I promised myself that when I retired, my husband's health and our relationship would take priority...

So...I do a few readings a month. I have turned down a couple of parties, although I do have a brunch thing coming up after September with 3-4 women.

Sharing our stories about HOW we use Tarot in our lives is always an encouragement, hopefully, for people new to Tarot to find the place that Tarot holds in their lives. For some it is a passing interest. For others, a personal tool. For some, a source of income and a spiritual path...

For me it is a passion. I love it when people ask me questions about the Tarot.

I would say. Start there. You are never forced to give readings just because people ask for them. A simple "no" will suffice.

Or...as I did today...give them your phone number. If they are more than curious and want a reading, they will make the effort to call and set up an appointment.

terri

calligirl

Well, I think that's great that things would work out like that.

However, in this part of the universe, I have to be careful who's around when I pull out a Harry Potter book! It's evil, you know, full of witchcraft...heard one lady standing in line at Walmart, saying she'd die before she'd let her child sleep on Harry Potter sheets because they're evil and it would just be inviting the devil into your house.

So, nope, don't think I'm be carrying my deck around with me in case they accidently fall out and I'm burned at the stake!

But more power to you for bringing Tarot into the real world.

tmgrl2

calligirl said:
Well, I think that's great that things would work out like that.

However, in this part of the universe, I have to be careful who's around when I pull out a Harry Potter book! It's evil, you know, full of witchcraft...heard one lady standing in line at Walmart, saying she'd die before she'd let her child sleep on Harry Potter sheets because they're evil and it would just be inviting the devil into your house.

So, nope, don't think I'm be carrying my deck around with me in case they accidently fall out and I'm burned at the stake!

But more power to you for bringing Tarot into the real world.

Well...see...I know THOSE people are there when I bring out my deck....some of them walk away...some of them say "hmphh"...some have even laughed.

Once at work, during a lunch break, I brought out a deck...and when a few of us starting talking and I said " I read Tarot," one of the young men on our committee, said "Are you for real?" (I was a chairperson of the Committee...)
This was lunch and "down time." Some people were paying bills, some were doing school work. I took out a deck and "engaged" a few more listeners.

At first, it took a bit of courage, since I have not let this side of me show in my career world....but as I got older, and discovered the Tarot, and as my intuitive roots in using tools to read for and to read others began to re-emerge...I figured...Who cares about people who don't believe???

Many of them will lurk and then say..."Actually, it kind of scares me...I'm afraid of what I will hear." Now how telling is that???

But...

I'm not there for the doubters or criticizers. I talk about Tarot to those who step forward with genuine interest in learning more about the Tarot.

It's pretty easy to get away from the OTHER ones. Most of them walk away, or don't participate in the discussion ....in fact, after a while, you don't even see or hear them any more. They cease to exist. I don't give them any power or energy...I direct it to the ones who want to know more.

The naysayers know I am no longer acknowledging them.

I love it when one of THEM has made a "challenging" statement, and I

completely ignore them and go on to answer a question from someone who wants to know more, who isn't there with a critical attitude, but with an open mind.

terri

tmgrl2

inanna_tarot said:
i havent done many face to face readings and so i'm nervous about it lol At least reading for strangers is better in that they wont see me again lol
Maybe I'll be brave enough soon :) Definately something to keep in mind.

Blessings,
Sezo
x

I'm still nervous when I do a reading...less so for people I know. More so for people that have been referred to me that I don't know. But I do them and put my all into the reading.

So far, I haven't been disappointed. I don't think we ever know what ripples have been sent forth from a reading...so I really don't need feedback...but
people are sending other people for readings....so...I keep on doing them.

I wish I could say the first ones are the hardest....I still feel a bit nervous when someone new comes to my home. A certain amount of this anticipatory anxiety is ok, even helpful. Once we start to talk to each other and build up a rapport, things go along just fine.

Start with one....and go from there.

terri

Elven

terri Hi, :)

great story and sooo true. This happened to me the day before yesterday! :) It really DOES work!!:) I picked up my new Magdalene Oracle deck from the bookshop and went to sit in the cafe across the way. I always try to sit in the same spot in the corner. This is how I ritually open my new decks now! :)The waitress came to take my order - a young girl - and asked me exactly that - 'Are they Tarot Cards?'. But I said No - these are oracle cards. Then we had a 5 minute discussion on the different types of cards available. When she came out the second time - for my second coffee - she asked 'Do you read for yourself?'. This started another conversation with her. She was fascinated.
I looked at the cards after she had left and smiled as I thought of Umraes post. :) - It does work!!! :)

calligirl said:

LOL!!! Im lucky I live in the town that I do. People are so open here. Its a community of writers, artists, goths and readers. No one bats an eyelid. It wouldn't suprise me if they pulled out their own deck from their pocket to join in!! :)

Great thread terri, thankyou! :)

Many blessings
Elven x