Pet Decisions - Finding the right pet

Yineth

A few years ago, my dog was diagnosed with a curable illness, but due to financial reasons I opted for her to be put down instead [Please don't comment about this. It was a difficult decision overall.] After the death of my dog, Barkley, my mother swore to me that we would never have another pet. While the loss of my dog was a heartbreaking event, I still can't help but want a new pet to replace the strange void she left in my life. Having a dog was a difficult task though, so there was often a question of whether a dog was the right pet for me.

Time fast-forward to now, I've somewhat gotten over the loss of my dog, but now I'm constantly bothered by the thought of having a new pet. But what pet would be the most 'right' for me? I decided to create a spread with the assistance of my Tarot deck(s) in order to find out what type of pet would most suit me and their reasons of 'why' and 'why not'.

This spread can be used for anyone considering to get a pet, but aren't sure of what type of pet would be best for them, or if having a pet is the right decision for them.

***[2]***[3]***
[1]*********[4]
***[6]***[5]***

1. Am I ready for a pet?
2. What type of a pet am I best suited for?
3. Why would this pet be suited for me?
4. Why would this pet be not suited for me?
5. What would my relationship with this pet be like?
6. Where would I find this pet/this type of pet?

This spread is still in its testing phase and I will add my reading to it later.

Espirito

Thanks for this spread.

I give you a few ideas...

--1--
2---3
4---5
--6--

1. My qualities to be the owner
2. The main characteristic of the animal that is fine with me
3. The main reason I want a pet
4. The feature I like most in an animal
5. The feature I like least in an animal
6. Where will I find this animal?

Yineth

Thanks for your input, Espirito

Bhavana

I think that to this spread the question "Am I financially ready to care for a pet should it become ill" is important. No one should have to make the decision to put a pet down because they can't afford the care. I don't have any money, yet I have 2 dogs and a cat and a parrot (- and exotics will break the bank every time when it comes to vet care.) I guess I figure if something goes seriously wrong with them, I can get the money from my parents to pay for their care - but many don't have that option. Even so, at times when I was broke, over the years there have been times when I have neglected preventative care, such as dental care, because it is easy to ignore such things - but they are still VERY important.

So yes, i think being financially capable of providing vet care (including preventative care) is a very important consideration when considering pet ownership!

Yineth

I think that to this spread the question "Am I financially ready to care for a pet should it become ill" is important. No one should have to make the decision to put a pet down because they can't afford the care. I don't have any money, yet I have 2 dogs and a cat and a parrot (- and exotics will break the bank every time when it comes to vet care.) I guess I figure if something goes seriously wrong with them, I can get the money from my parents to pay for their care - but many don't have that option. Even so, at times when I was broke, over the years there have been times when I have neglected preventative care, such as dental care, because it is easy to ignore such things - but they are still VERY important.

So yes, i think being financially capable of providing vet care (including preventative care) is a very important consideration when considering pet ownership!

Thanks for your input, B. When I was first tweaking around with the idea of this spread I was wondering whether to add a 7 or 8th position. I decided to leave it more in an open-ended statement by putting the "Am I ready for a pet?" question as the starter for whether the person is financially, physically, spiritually, etc- ready for a pet. But making it a little more specific wouldn't hurt :)

Bhavana

Thanks for your input, B. When I was first tweaking around with the idea of this spread I was wondering whether to add a 7 or 8th position. I decided to leave it more in an open-ended statement by putting the "Am I ready for a pet?" question as the starter for whether the person is financially, physically, spiritually, etc- ready for a pet. But making it a little more specific wouldn't hurt :)

yeah, I figured that is what you meant with "am I ready..." but it should be more specific, as you say, because lots of people don't consider the vet costs of the average pet when they are deciding on getting one. Then, when the pet becomes sick, they are amazed at what the costs can be. Lots of pets are euthanized, handed over to shelters, or even abandoned because of the high costs of vet care. It's a major reason for surrender. And I can understand how it happens. My vet is VERY expensive, but I have been using her for years and so does everyone in my family - so I think if I could not pay for something, she'd allow me to get on a payment plan. But not every vet can or will do that.

It's a tough situation, and can put people in a hard place, as you know. But finances are definitely an important part of pet ownership. Even when it comes to quality pet food. The cheap stuff is CRAP, and very unhealthy. Good pet food is pricey.