How is the Moon card related to romance?

Grizabella

cosmoline said:
When I first started this thread I had thought I remembered seeing in Thirteens list of Tarot Meanings, a mention of the word "romance" along side of illusion, dreams, things like that.
Cosmoline

Being honest, isn't a lot of romance just illusion and dreams? Say a man sets the scene for a woman for a night:

Candles, flowers, dinner for two, soft music.

The woman walks in and she thinks "Oh gosh, he's such a romantic. He wants to bond more deeply and maybe even pop the question. Or maybe he wants to bring up getting pregnant." You choose what she might be thinking.

The man, however, has set the scene because he knows it will push certain buttons with her and get her into a mushy, gushy mood where she'll not be mad that he just bought a new sports car. And of course, may get a nice evening of sex out of the effort, too. Especially if he goes along with one of the illusions she's got about why he might have set the romantic mood. If he doesn't pop the question or say "let's make a baby", he can sidestep it with enough finesse to let her think they're on the brink of a breakthrough toward her goals.

That's a really pragmatic example, but it makes the point that romance isn't always face forward, two people on the same train going to the same destination. So that would fall under the category of the Moon card, I think.

Wonderwoman

Luck in Romance....

Actually, from first hand experience I've seen the moon as a harbinger of romantic news. I was once told of the Moon card as Luck in Romance and sure enough, within one month of this card showing up on my readings I was captivated by the love bug. I believe in some circumstances this card announces romance coming to the querent within one month or if you look at lunar cycles, the next full moon, the next new moon on the calendar. I believe just like Thirteen so eloquently put, when people experience love they become lunatics...Luna = Moon.

I'm never scared of this card and actually consider myself lucky when it shows up on any readings!

Ww

Keirquen

I got the impression from various books that the Moon card in a romance question would be one of worry/warning--you're not seeing all you should---you're blinded by love....

But it sounds like the posters here are saying that it can have a very positive meaning in romance--that of being lucky, or of falling in love by the light of the moon..

How do you tell the difference between the positive meaning and the negative/warning meaning?

Thirteen

Keirquen said:
How do you tell the difference between the positive meaning and the negative/warning meaning?
Well, one can use reversals--I don't think I'd ever read a reversed moon as positive. Either that, or just look to other cards in the spread, if they're not so positive, then I'd say that Moon signifies being blinded by love in a way that's not so good--i.e., that this person you've fallen for has personality quirks that, if you were in your right mind and seeing him/her in the light of day, would have you running for your life.

clbzkl

It is a hackneyed view of the moon being the mysterious, the darkness, and the absence of "light"(unable to become epitomized). Your pretenses of Romance and its ties to the moon is something almost indescribable; The Moon is the carnal desire that is ebbed inside of each human soul. It is the animal instinct and drives without the mores and norms of society. When this is related to Romance it would denote a devilishly strong "human" craving for a partner. This having nothing wrong with it on the surface but then from a societal viewpoint it seems immoral. It is up to the seeker to interpret how far they will let their desire go.

caridwen

I think this card really sums up some of the thoughts here on the Moon card in romance.

kisou

Surprisingly, this card came up in a romance reading for myself last night!

Anyway, the reading was in general a summary of what had gone on in the relationship, and I ended up interpreting it as me having been blinded by the strong pull of the Moon on my emotions, which in turn ended up leaving me vulnerable to something that wasn't really there. There were things about my romantic interest I didn't know, and that mystery held a level of allure, but at the same time confusion and worrisome emotions.

A few people have mentioned lunar cycles maybe playing a role here; I'll definitely pay attention what happens during the next Waning Moon.

SaintOfScreams

Traditionally, the Moon represented illusions, but my first thoughts to this thread were some examples from some decks I own...

One would be a secret romance between two people meeting somewhere hidden, or at night in secret to see each other... not necessarily a harmful relationship, but perhaps a romance between two people who are not ready to come out about their romance? Or perhaps two people who are linked to each, but their family or close ones won't approve or understand? So perhaps they sneak out at night to meet each other?

Another thought is a Woman's moon cycle, feminine issues, such as their feminine cycle, pregnancy, menopause... perhaps one of the lovers' is going through one of these issues? Or perhaps the lovers are both female, or feminine- like? Small chance I know.. but possible...

Or as Solitaire has said about her late Husband being a romantic.. it's culturally interesting.... as many cultures have believed in a Goddess as well as a God. The Goddess is usually considered Patroness of Romantic issues, domesticality, etc... and is associated with The Moon, as The God is associated with The Sun, and Protection, Wisdom, etc... so perhaps they are getting in touch with "their Feminine side?" It is also said we have Both Goddess and God in us, I guess testosterone and estrogen if you wanted to out it in scientific terms.

The Moon is also significant in Gypsy Lore about romance. For an example, it is said that a couple who sat together under a Full Moon would stay together Forever.

Perhaps the querent is feeling nostalgic about a situation or memory.. and is wondering/pondering about it? Perhaps lying to themselves about an issue? Or being lied to?

I know people believe various things, and some beliefs are not superior to others, but these are some ideals.

Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors.

Abrac

Love and lunacy - both cut from the same cloth. The lunatic ends up in one institution and those in love in another!

SunChariot

cosmoline said:
Has anymore here experience romance in relation to the Moon card?

The Moon xard as I understand it is about emotions and superstition. Emotions is connected to romance I understand - but I take this as kind of emotion in regards to the moon as a a kind of an scarey intense feeling.

If someone has had an experience or has read for someone that the moon card come up in romance - could you share it with me please.

Thanks
Cosmoline

Romance has always been the main meaning of the Moon card for me. I think the idea stems from the full moon (featured on most Moon cards) being a romantic symbol. It brings to mind for me images of couples sitting in their convertable cars looking up at the full moon, hearts full of love, and hugging...

The last time the Moon card came up for me symbolizing romance, was the one time I did not see it as romance and it still meant that in my reading.

It was just over a year ago and I was thinking of quitting my job but was unsure. I did a reading and asked two questions: "What will happen if I quit my job?" AND "What will happen if I do not quit my job?" I figured I would go with the one that had the most postive answer.

For if I did quit, the cards said I would be missing out on a major opportunity in my life and something that would be important to me...

And for if I did not quit, the Universe card came up with the Moon card. And I was thinking for the Moon card what the heck does romance have to do with my job. So I dismissed my usual meaning for it of romance and went with something unknown will happen.

So what do you think? I do not quit and less than two weeks later a new man started (and stayed only 10 days) that I fell madly in love with and yes we have a lot of romantic feelings for each other now, a bit over a year later, that started almost immediately after I met him. :heart:

For me that Moon will always be romance now. LOL

Bar