Cosmic Tribe - Emperor

kayne

Ok - it is time to tackle (oops... fruidian slip...) the Emperor... in all his glory!

The Emperor sits, static, controlled and comfortable on a solid chair. He looks to his right, holds a wand of power in his right hand as a silver ball hovers above his left hand. A subtle streak of light shows it has travelled around the sun above. He crosses his legs in a very masculan way... (One of my earliest memories of my father is him sitting this way... although he was clothed!)

I think the nudity is quite confronting in this card, mainly because it seems he is displaying himself for all his followers to see... and the sun light seems to fall across his chest, highlighting his masculinity... I suppose this is suitable for this archtype.

A solid stone border surrounds the card and yellow, sun bleached grass is at his feet. A hand radiating sunlight with an eye in the centre is under the chair.

I am interested in your thoughts about The Emperor... And what do you think the poll in the background represents? (Another phallic symbol?)

Kiama

I think the pole in this card shows the structure he possesses, the ability to form a well-organised group, and lead it.

The orb floating above is hand is very symbolic to me. It seems to represent his calm, cool control of a situation: Y'know, the way he is effortlessly keeping the orb where it is, not letting it fall, and keeping it still. Also could be a symbol of his high standards.

I still wanna know why his face is to the left. I think the RW deck did this for a particular reason: The Hermit and Emperor both look to the left... Fogotten why now!

Kiama

kayne

I think he is looking back at the Empress. If you sit them side by side she is feeling the warmth of the sun on her face and he is looking back at her... Just a theory...

kayne

> Cosmic Bump <

Scorpion

Hi all!

As Kayne says, this is a very masculine and assertive pose - and considered by some to be aggressive, which I suppose could tie in with the negative side of the Emperor. However, in its positive aspect, it shows how comfortable and in control he feels.

However, I can't help feeling that this Emperor looks a little bemused or irritated as he looks back at the Empress - obviously saying something like "I only did the garden yesterday - can't you slow down on the creative front"! I think there's some impatience in his hands - he could almost be tapping the sphere with the sceptre while flicking his toes back and forth. I think he's seated because for the card he has to strike the traditional "4 pose" but he seems to be bursting to get out of his throne and be doing something. I can almost see the reflection of his massed troops awaiting his orders in the sphere! He's an active man - his arms and legs are quite muscular and there's no flab on him. He knows he has to sit on his throne when the occasion demands, but I don't think it's his favourite part of the role.

Jenny-Li

This card was a little tricky to figure out, but when I picked it up yesterday to think some more about the images, I guess my fever delirium must have helped, because although I still can't figure all of it out, a lot of things cleared up! I think this might have been because this is one of the cards that I have never really related to, on a personal level, never really clicked. With the Cosmic Tribe I seem to be clicking with a lot of cards that haven't made very strong impacts on me before.

The Image:
The image has a frame made of stone or grey metal, it is very straight and very strict and it borders the picture very distinctly, emphasizing its rectangularity. The Emperor is sitting with a very laid-back, almost nonchalant manner, but his face shows a harsh, grim mimic, casting a long, penetrating look to his right. He holds an emperial staff in his hand, juggles a shiny bright sphere of metal in his left. The sphere is so shiny, it reflects the environment on its rounded surface.

His throne is decorated by ram's heads, and it is made from dark, heavy wood. It is robustly made, seems very stable, heavy and solid. Beneath the throne's seat, there is a hand, a Cosmic eye and a sun, at the center of a number of concentric circles, symbolising a solar system just like our own.

The wall behind the emperor is a warm, if not glowing hot, red colour. In the upper edge of the image, there is a flaming sun, paited on the wall. There is also a stick painted on the wall, behind and to the left of the Emperor's throne. The ground where the throne stands is covered by yellow, dry grass.

The symbols:
The red wall -
The red colour felt strange to me from the beginning, because I've never connected the Emperor with the element Fire, but rather with Air (but the truth is I've not given it much thought at all, so I guess I've just been 'wrong'). This card, though, has so many connections to Fire, there's not much to argue about. This Emperor is flaming with energy, power - and fire! The red colour in this card to me relates to that fiery energy and power, but also to warmth and fatherly love. Thus he is actually the most sympathetic Emperor I have met so far, not at all as cold and hard as the usual image. He builds his order on love - love of his familly, his land, his house. He fathers his world, structures it with love. I also connect this fiery red with feelings like pride, patriotism and courage.

The painted sun on the wall - The sun is another symbol of the Emperors fiery power, it shows how he provides structure and light. Structure as in order, rules and fair justice. The light stands for clarity, wisdom and truth, which is the notions by which he rules his world.

The Emperor's posture and mimic - He looks relaxed, like he is very much at home with his role as the Leader and Provider-of-structure-and-order, but his face turned sharply to his right gives me an image of a man who sees all and hears all that goes on. The tiniest sound that breaks the order he has created will make him turn his full focus in that direction. Yet, he doesn't jump up to grab his weapons, he knows his own power in his house and knows that what or whoever caused him to turn his head will likely straighten up just by receiving his grim look. His power is undisputed.

(The book states that he is actually casting that look towards the Empress, and that the Emperor's work is really to create order in the abundant (but perhaps a little messy/unstructured...!) beauty that she creates. The grim look might be a sign of the down side of this card - when the Emperor takes his ordering and structuring too far, and actually becomes dictatorial. He might forget that the Empress fully matches his powers with her own, and that he cannot rule over her, or change the way she uses her power.

The book also drew a picture of the Emperor being a gardener in the Empress's garden, and I sooo love that image! She creates an abundance of beauty and live in no particular order at all, and he brings structure and order, so that we can actually access and make sense of that beauty with our limited senses. I love the way even the Emperor is given a touch of artistery, because making order IS an art in itself, but one often forgotten about.)

The staff - a symbol of his power, power to direct elements of the world around him and make them dance by his will. He is also a male archetype, symbolised by the phallic staff.

The sphere - Shows his connection with the Earth and the Physical world. This is his turf, this is where he can perform his magic, his art. The sphere symbolising the world in his hand, he juggles, rules and shapes it from his will.

The solar-system underneath the throne - I have some diffuse thought about this having to do with the different levels of the world around us. Body, mind and spirit. But I can't really give words to what I'm thinking. Perhaps that will crystalize when I work some more with this deck, after all the deck as a whole speaks a very special language, perhaps I need to delve deeper into my lingo studies to break this knot...! Part from that though, what could serve as a better symbol of universal order and structure than an image of a solar system...?

The yellow grass - Symbol of the Fire element's potential for turning negative. If not watched carefully the Fire can burn you - AND your environment, making it dry and arid and dead.

Light and love,
Jenny :)

Jewel

Jenny-Li,

I did some work with this card in relation to Rachel Pollacks 78 Degrees of Wisdom, I think you will find it intreresting to compare some of your observations to the image of the Emperor in the RWS. I learned a lot from it. Also put this card side by side with the CT Empress. Together they do give the since of order to what they rule.

tarotbear

It always amazes me - the uproar over nudity.

I mean, female nudity was quite prevalent even in the stern, uptight Victorian Era; naked female statuary was everywhere in public places and art. But 'It's Art' and all manner and shapes of breasts and vulvas have been on display, acceptably, ever since.

BUT

Let one male appendange show and OOOOOOOOOEEEEEEE! All hell breaks loose! Slap a fig leaf over that weenie!

Anyway -

I bought the Cosmic Tribe tarot about a week ago (early Yule gift for me) because I am working on a second book (no- first one still in limbo) dealing with Tarot and Men- leaning towards gay men. I was told to take a gander at the CTT. My question - just becasue it shows a lot of dick - does that make it gay? Having only done one reading with this deck so far - I would say no - but I think that gay men would be comfortable with it. In truth, there are not enough boobs for staright men and too much dick for straight women in this deck - so the jury is still out.

I want to call to mind one thing- the focal point of the card- the King (or Emperor) is always called 'Sire', and the king's throne was always raised - one- to remind you the King was above you, and two- to put his genitals at eye level - another reminder of 'who is in charge here.'

kayne

Good point about the postioning of the King TB. I would not call this deck a 'Gay Deck' as such, but like you said, gay friendly for sure. The alternate Lovers are the best suggestion towards that...

Hopefully you will enjoy the Cosmic Tribe, more so when you get over the nudity and enjoy it for the detail and complexity that is there. :)

Jewel

Hi Tarotbear ... I am a straight woman and the nudity in this deck ceased to phase me within less than a week of getting the deck. In working with the deck what I discovered was the use of nudity as a design element, not as a sexual overtone. To me the main point of the deck is that we are all part of the human tribe (represented in this deck as the Cosmic Tribe) regardless of gender, size or race. The nudity is often used (IMO) as a symbol of openess, innocence, truth, and nothing to hide. I believe it was when I pulled all the cards with clothing or covering that I came to that conclusion.

Anyhow ... I do not consider the deck gay specific, but I would say it is gay friendly. As for the models, perhaps they worked with those they had at hand and were as diversified as their subjects allowed them to be.

Glad to have you with us here in the study group! Thanks for sharing the info on the focal point of the Emperor. This deck certainly supports that.