LOTR in the Mayor Arcana

Eowyn

thx Kirali. I gave it a quick look at the site, and He is working with the Silmarillion. That's hard too. Some I agree, others not... well. Thx again.

The sun is joy then. Involves two, and its a raising sun. I remember some tarot readers (and my self) interpretate Sun sometimes as the perfect soulmatch. How about when Eowyn and Faramir (in minas tirith) are holding each other in the moment the One Ring is destroyed, and a great force is released and the sky opens??

XXX

Alissa

Oooo neat sites Kirali! And thanks for your kind words as well!

I agree, the Sun is hard. Jackson caught the mood with the birthday party, like you said, but it is a insignificant event and doesn't seem to match up to the magnitude of the Sun card to me.

Any other ideas? Let's keep this thread going :)

Eowyn

I think we have a lot of posibilities, and some need a deeper argument, I mean, to develop better the reason why we are choosing them as a trump.

We could continue with the court cards... what do you think? from the page to the king... Ive remember that there are very few female characters in the LOTR.

Kirali

I like the Eowyn and Faramir idea for the sun where they're holding each other and the sky opens up like you said. Sounds like it would be a very pretty scene.

The court cards, ack! hehe They sometimes confuse me but I don't really remember that many females. Perhaps, in the back of the 3rd book, there'd be a big selection. Like Rosie, but then she's not an integral part of the story. Hmmm maybe we could have repeats of people!

I'd say Boromir would be a Knight or Page of... hmmm.. Wands? He seems a bit fiery.

Eowyn

We have the hobbits Sam, merry and Pippin as important chacacters. Also, Faramir, Boromir and Denethor of Gondor; eowyn's brother of Rohan, dont remember his name very well, their uncle, but this one still attached in the trumps, and this king that came from the coast to help, Imrahil or somethig like that. Also, Gimli and Legolas separated. There is plenty of material to think. But females... we still have Arwen left. ok. its a problem.

Alissa

I see Boromir as the Knight of Swords, always rushing into things, ready to make any little thing a fight. Someone who is fiery alright, but also fool hearty because of it at times.

He has tremendous courage, but sometimes to a fault. And, as I see Swords as a suit that speaks to matters of the ego, I think Boromir is ideal as a Knight to that suit.

The knight seems like a teenager at times in his ability to throw himself from one emotional extreme to another. Boromir does this by pledging his loyalty to Frodo at the Council of Rivendell, but then goes 180* the opposite direction when he confronts Frodo and attempts to take the Ring (by verbal persuasion, then force) at Fellowship's end. At each moment, you sense that he is genuine with what he feels at that moment but that he lacks the emotional control to balance his actions and temper his extremes.

The suit of Swords, being ego related, also seems appropriate since it is Boromir's ego that believes HE can control the Ring if only Frodo would "see sense" and give it to him. This is purely his own ego believing this lie, in my opinion.

I'm also one of *those* readers who reads swords as "fire" and wands as "air", which I know is directly backwards to some others' ways ;). But, since Boromir is a "hot head," again I feel that the Knight of Swords would really fit him.

Lastly, he is also a significant enough character to warrant a court card placement (imho :D).

Eowyn

Who knows which Queens does the LOTR tarot deck use?

Also, just for us: I'm learning to write with elvish characters, the Tengwar, in quenya mode and other modes. So, give me your name iand as soon as I can get a scanner ill send you a version (hand written. I KNOW there are several true types fonts available in the web)

I'll have to push my self to studie moe the court cards. So I can give my opinion in this part.

lupo138

i am afraid that if you want to have court cards as well you will either have to end up having Shelob as the Queen of Swords or counting some Hobbits as female... ;)

Alissa

LOTR deck Queens ...

Some quotes from the LOTR deck's big white book :D

Queen of Swords -- "Lady Eowyn symbolically subjugates the With-king's steed before decapitating it."

Queen of Wands -- "Theodwyn, beloved sister of Theoden..."

Queen of Cups -- "Goldberry, wife of Tom Bombadil ... and water spirit"

Queen of Coins -- "Luthien Tinuviel, the Elf princess who was the most beautiful ofa ll the children of Iluvatar (God), and the ancestor of Aragorn and Arwen."

Alissa

Oh! And Eowyn! I taught myself the One Ring quote in Tengwar Quenya over this past summer! I was doing a henna (temporary tattoo) design of this quote, and found some neat Tengwar Quenya sites while researching it.

In the version I did, I did *not* use the cursive script that is associated with the Ring itself, but instead the basic script.

Can you do my name ... Alissa?