Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA - Hermit

NightWing

I probably have far more questions than (possible) answers when it comes to any card in this deck. Also, I don't currently have access to the Turk book, so I'm working with the cards alone. I offer a few observations, which I hope others may expand upon.

The blue-skinned man depicted here is roughly ancient mesopotamian in his facial features, which I take to refer to the great antiquity of both wisdom and the search for it. The Sumerian culture is the oldest one we call an historical "civilization", based on cultural remains that include writing. The cultures that succeeded one another in that part of the world included astrologers and "mages", who had definite religious functions. This man is dressed as neither a king nor a warrior, and does not appear to be a merchant of any kind. He is apparently one of the dedicated "spiritual" caste of his society, and his bare feet, unwigged head, plain wooden staff, and lack of ornament reinforce a sense of his social solitude, even if his surroundings did not.

Directly behind the blue man is a small altar with live flames upon it, rather like a Zoroastrian altar from the mesopotamian part of the world, but common enough in various religious traditions to be a general symbol. There is also the outline of a seated Buddha-like figure behind and above the altar. Here we have symbols of two paths; one of sacrifice and the other of meditation. Further, for Zoroastrians, the flame is the presence of the God. Our Hermit has immediate "access" then to three paths, plus a fourth one in terms of a very ancient, relatively rare, and yet ubiquitous discipline. Both the keyhole in his skimpy undergarment, and the abyss separating him from the tempting lady opposite, speak to celibacy as part of his spiritual path as the knowledge-seeking hermit.

Does the lady represent more? Her odd headgear, with what seems to be three points, may make her a representative of what is traditional, doctrinal, and conventional, as in trinitarian Hinduism or Christianity. There she calmly waits, a gulf between them, ignored now by the Hermit.

On the plains far below the blue Hermit is a ziggurat, that huge structure that included temple functions for the mesopotamian ancients. It is perhaps telling that he is now high above it, with its sacrifices and rituals. Beyond the building, closer to what may be a distant (primordial) sea, is a tiny group, circled around a smokey fire, hearkening back to even more ancient times and practices(?)

In the mid-range, a poised leopard prepares to launch itself upon three hapless herbivores, playing out the predator-victim scenario that has been part of life since its beginning. This hard reality observed constitutes a hard lesson that must be learned: life includes suffering. Nearby, almost in the center of the card image, is a distant tree, green with life, and perhaps laden with...but it is too far to make out. There it stands, like a reminder of mythical ancient Eden...and the goods and evils that flowed from it.

The Hermit's attention is elsewhere however. He looks up and away, to the eagle coming from far above, and about to land on his arm. Does the bird bring word of things much higher and beyond anything yet known to the Hermit? Does it represent his final pathway, that he must leave the world he has known and soar away? Like some Zen Master's finger, the Hermit's staff points directly at the moon; does it pose the same zen question?

Far in the background, in the upper third of the image, are piled up steep mountains or clouds, each representing mysteries or imagination yet unexplored. In either case, there are many more possibilities far off.

The Hermit has moved up and away from an ancient past, and looks yet further toward an unknown future, only temporarily standing within his present situation. He is in motion and is open, ever seeking. Directly above his head is a rock formation that has slowly trickled down, taking ages upon ages to form and solidify; if nothing else, a reminder of the limits of human endeavour, and mortality. Each of us only has so long to search.

rainwolf

No one has replied to this post?

I have a good memory of this card. Although the book helps tremendously with her symbolism (she has a lot of research going into her symbols), I did a reading that was surprisingly accurate by the unique placement of the characters:

My friend was getting a 'cold reading', about a relationship I did not know about at the time. Her boyfriend was going to college in Seattle (us in California) and she wanted some insight into the question. Her mom was in the room (she reads also) and my back was to her. I said something that ended with "but don't let the distance affect you", completely unaware her boyfriend was hundreds of miles away. She told me later that her eyes opened wide and her mom looked at me while I just kept looking at the card and talking.

I personally really like this card because the landscape is really attractive. I like the myan temple far down in a little desert, and the people up high around caves with the meditating figure. I'll look at this card a little later and comment more.

jema

Wonderful post there NightWing

First thing I see when looking at this card was the snowdrops by the hermits feet.
They are so frail looking but first to sprout in the snow and really sturdy against both cold and winds.
They are also a symbol of the hermits purity.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/135/7/2/snowdrop.jpg

I think there might be bluebells there too?
Those are more fragile indoors, when picked, but very resilient when left alone.
I just read that they are a symbol of humility which makes sense!
I am very glad I bought this deck, I can see that it will keep me busy a long time to come :-D

Le Fanu

I enclose a scan of the card. It's not very clear on this reproduction but I have always been intrigued by the fact that he has a keyhole over his genitalia. Like a chastity belt, which is not an abnormal hermetic vow I suppose. But it's a nice twist on the card; introspection and abstention. Not being distracted by sex in the focus upon oneself.

I love how his staff rests upon the centre of the sun, as if drawing down the energies for inner growth. There is much of this in the Navigators Tarot, drawing down of energies (see the King & Queen of Wands).

It's a shame it has taken us 6 years to respond to Nightwing's eloquent post! :)

Attachments

• Card11.jpg
    Card11.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 180

jema

Well, it took me 10 years to get the deck :p

So many cards that stand out, this is one of them. And they are so detailed that while the book would be neat I don't think I will actually need it (can always ask here too)
I hope NightWing will come back and post on more of the cards :-D
I usually don't do study groups but this deck is so different and any added insight from others is worth a lot.

Le Fanu

I'm afraid I'll have to contradict you here :). Book is packed with fascinating information which really, really makes a difference. Sending you a lead :)