Mythic Tarot - Ten of Swords

Tryton38

Hi everyone!

My main deck that I work with is a very old Mythic tarot that I inherited from my stepfather.

I've been trying to connect more deeply with the images, and in this deck the images vary a lot from other decks, so I'm wondering if the interpretations I'm making make sense.

For example - I pulled the "Ten of Swords" as how someone feels about me. In most cases, the visual is negative, but in this deck, it shows Athena holding off the Graeae in protection as the sun rises in the background. So for me, this is a positive card, indicating safety or protective feelings.

What do you think?

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Tryton38!

The Mythic was my first deck. And when I realized there wasn't a completed Study Group on it, I posted on all 78 cards to make sure the Mythic Tarot Study Group was completed and got its own sub-forum.

Look a little closer at the image. You left someone out - Orestes. All is not sunshine and light for him. Athene may be stopping the Furies from finishing him off, but he's beaten and battered. A difficult situation has come to a resolution with some divine intervention. And a new day may be dawning. But there is pain and suffering present in the card.

As how someone feels about you, you have three main characters to look at in the card. Which one caught your eye first? The Furies would suggest that the person feels angry/vengeful towards you. Athene would suggest that the person feels like they need to put a stop to their feelings for you. And Orestes would suggest that they feel overcome or overwhelmed by their feelings for you. None of those are positive interpretations.

Now if you has asked what a person's intentions were towards you and Athene caught your eye, then I'd say that was positive in that they felt like they needed to protect you. But that's not what you asked.

Now if you really see safety and protection in that card, then your interpretation is more accurate than mine because you got the card you needed to see to give you the answer you needed to arrive at. But if you're trying to spin the card so you get a positive message from it because that's what you want to believe, then you're falling into a trap that many people who read for themselves fall into - lack of objectivity and seeing what they want to see in that card. If your best friend asked you to do a reading for them and one of the positions was what B felt for them and that card came up, would you give them the same answer you're giving yourself? What about if you read for a total stranger and got the same card in the same position?

Rodney

rwcarter

Since Tryton38 isn't a Subscriber and can't add attachments, here's the card in question for those not familiar with the deck.

Rodney

Attachments

• 10 Swords web sm.jpg
    10 Swords web sm.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 646

EvaSegovia

To me, Athene looks like she's saying "BACK OFF!!"

Padma

To me, Athene looks like she's saying "BACK OFF!!"

Have to agree with Eva...!

But she (Athene) is saying, to me, back off, and leave this person alone! They are feeling vulnerable!

So, to me, that 10 of Swords as how someone feels about you - they feel you may be getting uncomfortably close, perhaps demanding too much. They may feel overwhelmed by your demands. So ask less, give space, and see what happens. The more you push, I feel, the more "back off" you will get!

ETA Rodney, thanks for posting the picture of the card! So helpful.

Tryton38

Thank you thank you!!!

I did notice Athene first - but yes, it's hard to tell when you pull for yourself definitely!! For me the card feels like an end to suffering after a long bout of difficulty, but that could just be me. šŸ˜Š

I love this tarot deck, btw! The images are truly unique.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Hi Tryton38,

Please take a moment to read the UTC Posting Rules. Posting a general "Thank you" is not feedback, which is what you need to provide to each person who has posted trying to help you.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

page of ghosts

The mythic is very cool and I'm glad to own it too. In German since that's still available, but it helped to get the English book 2nd hand so I could read about the cards.

Not looking at my book just at the card I feel like the swords in the ground enact as some kind of barrier too. The furies are to the left of the swords and maybe Athene is the one who put them down, saying "this is how far you get, but no closer", echoing the "back off"-vibe the others are getting.