Why is Tarot "true" but other cards aren't? Or: "The Fantod Pack"

SunChariot

Wow, sorry for letting the thread drop. I went on vacation and didn't realize there were new posts, so here we go:

SunChariot, my dad is not a reader at all. I was just browsing in a used bookstore hoping to find something I thought he'd enjoy, and since I know he enjoys Gorey's work, that was a definite yes, just for entertainment value. (Aside note, he liked ut skot but ut turned out he already had it, as someone else had the same thought at some other time).

But then it made me ponder the question of why I personally would see thar deck as just like a meaningless, amusing entertainment despite all it's apparently sinister "meanings", when of course I personally do take Tarot reading as a perfectly serious means of divination, and of acquiring helpful information and advice.

Like you, I also don't feel the need to try and convince anyone who doesn't agree. It's just an interesting difference that I was curious of people thoughts on.

Oh, LOL

Well for me anyway, for what it's worth. I don't tend to see any method of divination as any better than any other. Or any deck as better than any other. What works for one is different for what works for another. The cards or whatever other tools we use are just the tools that the powers that be that answer us use to communicate. Whatever they are willing to answer us with will work.

That is my opinion on it anyway.

Babs

FLizarraga

GRRR! I had just typed a long response and it somehow vaporized, so here I go again:

FLizarraga, thank you. It seems the thoughts on why this deck should or should not be taken seriously as a divination tool are in 2 groups: either it should not, because its creator never intended it to be and was not making any attempts to codify any particular principles or archetypes with it, or it *could* be, depending on what the reader gleans from it.

But now that my dad has returned it, I'm half tempted to go back to the store and buy it if it's still there, since I found it very enjoyable whether I gained any insights in life from it or not! :)

You can use it for timing, for example, since the cards are tied to a month or a day of the week. Or you can check the meanings --some of them are not so silly, anyway. And, if you want, you can throw the booklet away and use it for intuitive readings.

And, of course, you can always use it for fun, Happy Squirrel readings! The cards are vague and mysterious, after all... :)

Tiggy-cat

You can use it for timing, for example, since the cards are tied to a month or a day of the week. Or you can check the meanings --some of them are not so silly, anyway. And, if you want, you can throw the booklet away and use it for intuitive readings.

And, of course, you can always use it for fun, Happy Squirrel readings! The cards are vague and mysterious, after all... :)

Hmm, I do like the idea of using it for timing, but not sure how to I'd interpret "Tuesday" if I have no idea *which* Tuesday! Or do they have seasons as well, I don't remember.