Mary-el borders

Tippyjane

I was enabled through the forum to finally get the Mary-El. It arrived, I was enthralled...but then as I studied each card, noticed that the borders on most of the cards were quite uneven. Received a new set through Amazon and was so glad - but alas, the same damn problem. Studied the forums and noted that print quality has been an issue. Decided to contact Schiffer directly and they asked me to send the set back and they would send a replacement. Okay, done, although I would have thought they would reimburse the shipping. I received my 3rd deck today, eagerly removed the shrink wrap, lifted the lid and....Noooooooo! Same thing. Completely asymmetrical borders on most cards. So my question is - do I keep trying to get a properly published deck or accept its beautiful and somewhat frustrating imperfection?

Astraea

Tippyjane, I think the uneven border issue is one aspect of the printing problems associated with this deck. Many people here have mentioned it, and it seems to have been more pronounced on some of the decks than others. My borders were uneven, also, so I looked at the reviews on YouTube and noted that all of the review decks had uneven borders; I think it's likely that you'll run into that issue, no matter how many replacement decks you get. I just ignore the borders and focus on the beauty of the images. Some people who are bothered by the color and/or unevenness of the borders have trimmed their decks, with stunning results - I'd love it if Schiffer would reprint the deck in a borderless edition.

rwcarter

Marie White trimmed the borders off her Schiffer deck. Take that for what you will.

SixDegrees

The same thing happened to me. I purchased the set with the intention of trimming off those bulky black borders, but I soon realized that it would be impossible to do so in any uniform fashion. Either the image on the card backs would be wonky or I'd have to leave border space on the front side of some cards. I'm not sure how Marie accomplished such a feat.

I kept the set, but I find that the size makes it hard to use, so it remains a collector's piece for me.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time a card back halted me from trimming a deck, I'd have at least 30 cents by now. :) Sometimes I wish cards just came printed with a uniform color on the back; it would make trimming so much easier...

Tippyjane

Trimming

Marie White trimmed the borders off her Schiffer deck. Take that for what you will.

Maybe Schiffer should consult with the artist :). I'm severely lacking trimming skills and patience so I will keep hoping for a borderless edition. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Tippyjane

Ha?

I had to update because it's kind of comical.

I wrote Schiffer customer service, explaining that even though I tabbed cards with bad borders on the deck I sent back, the replacement deck they sent was no better. I also said it could get very expensive, sending decks back and forth. They kindly asked me to send a list of them cards I needed and they would send them. I sent them a list, apologized for its length, and suggested they consider printing the deck in the future without borders.

I received replacement cards today and guess what! Come on, guess, it'll be fun ��

Yep-uneven borders. Bless Schiffer for trying. The deck is imperfect and lovely still. Just like life.

FLizarraga

Wow. I guess that's a whole print run that went bad.

Personally I have trimmed three of those suckers and never run into any trouble, but perhaps I was lucky.