I've fallen for this deck...

noby

For a while, I'd been thinking that my next deck would be the International Icon Tarot. But out of the blue, I've just fallen in love with the Fey Tarot. I'm not usually one for "cute," and I've never been into fairies (or fey, or gnomes, etc), but in these cards I see profound angles on and insights into tarot concepts, as well of lots of beauty and charm.

And I think that these cards have a lot in common with the International Icon, and my favorite deck, Navigators of the Mystic Sea. They use rich color to express emotion, as well as evocative postures to communicate the qualities of each card. They transcend the limits of a specific time and culture to get at something more subtle and universal.

I love how the fey show the influences of the elements so simply and directly. The cards express themselves so clearly, simply, and directly. There is humor and playfulness, but not a shying away from the more difficult aspects of the cards.

For example, the Tower is less gloom and doom than in other decks, but I think it just as skillfully depicts what I see as the main point of the Tower, the crumbling of the patterns of thought, behavior, and belief with which we define our world. I actually think it makes more sense - and is even more frightening, in a way - for it to be the base of the tower that crumbles, not its top. Because when we lose touch with the comforting beliefs that guide us, it is as if the ground beneath our feet is taken away.

The Hermit shows that the work of turning inward involves confronting a lot of confusion, a lot of hidden doors, and a lot of strange and sometimes frightening creatures of the subconscious. The Magician shows how magic is related to perception. The Four of Swords powerfully communicates steeling oneself in preparation of something for which one needs to be aggressive. The Three of Wands shows the excitement and power of a sense of possibility.

I think it is wonderful that a deck can be so playful, and yet also so direct and profound. I love all three of my other decks, but this will be the first deck I've researched this much online before buying it, and I have a feeling I will really enjoy and work well with it... and when I get it, I'm sure I'll enjoy sharing my thoughts on it here!

lunalafey

You have certainally captured the essence of the Fey!
They appear one way- the book's cover, but once you get to know them they are just so profound....that's the word everyone seems to use when talking about this deck. The inside of the book is nothing like it's cover.
These Fey are nothing like the fairies of Earth. The Fey live in a parallel world.
They face all the same challenges that humans do- yet thier point of view and approach is so....peaceful, yet direct.

Laelyan

I think you have summed up how all of us feel about this deck, Noby. I was also one of those people that was not into fairies. What I love about about this deck is the colour of the world that the Fey inhabit - how magical it seems to pick up a card and be transported into such a different universe than our own.

I can't wait to hear about your experiences with this deck.

noby

My Fey Tarot kit just arrived in the mail today. When I first took the cellophane off the cards and looked at the first card in the deck, The Fool, I gasped. The color and detail are so much richer than even what I'd seen online! I felt my heart swell as I looked through the deck. The art is gorgeous, and the card's lessons profound but apparent, so much so many reveal part of their wisdom just at a first glance. I found myself saying "Wow" out loud at least a couple of times as I thumbed through the deck. I'm really looking forward to working with and sharing my thoughts about this deck!

fluffy

I am new to the tarot forum and joined after reading the study group about the fey. I got this set for christmas (without the book) and just fell in love with it, the more I look at the cards the more they speak to me. Is the study group continuing or am I too late?

Fluff

September Pixie

The study group is always open :) feel free to even post on old threads to share your insights!

I am reminded yet again that this deck is truly both playful and useful.. I dont know why I dont use these little guys more often!

Laelyan

Noby - I am glad that the deck lived up to your expectations! I can't wait to hear about you experiences with it. I have found myself pulling a card out of this deck everyday and writing down my initial reflections on it in a small notebook that I carry around with me - even during the day, I might think of a question I have about the card or about the deck in general and can write it down and look into it later.

Fluffy - I also hope that the study group is going to continue soon. I have a lot of enthusiasm contained over here, and am waiting to be able to vent and rave and explore this deck with everyone.

From
Laelyan

Moongold

I got this deck on Friday night and am enchanted with it. There is a new take on just about everything.

Just looking at 6 Swords for example. This is simply the journey through life or through a particular situation. The boat in which the Fey sits seems almost to be floating above the water. I am not sure what the Swords mean in this deck but she is looking at this Sword as though it does not bother her at all. It is like a sign post more than anything else.

fluffy

Moongold i know what you mean about the 6 swords and also what is the rope there for? Is she still anchored and hasn't made her mind up yet whether or not to make the journey or is she just waiting and saying her goodbyes to the bad times (the sword) as she is ready to move on now.

I am having a little bit of trouble with the devil in this pack (i am not sure whether or not this is the right thread to mention it on), but has anyone got any thoughts that could help. All I can see when i look is an ogre on fire eating a tree, it doesn't really mean anything to me. Fluff

Moongold

Fluff ~

I think this is the most frigntening Devil card I have ever seen.

This Devil has lost his intrinsic feyness through "corruption". The corruption may have commenced as obsession but it could be anything. It has enveloped the Fey and transformed him into something instinctive and unrecognizable. In this case he is devouring the trees but he could be devouring food, alcohol or drugs, a city, books or ideas, a relationship - anything in which he is obsessed. The flames indicate the burning nature of the compulsion. The more he has the more voracious he becomes and the less "fey", the less "human". The eyes are frightening indeed. The tremendous loss of self and identity is reflected there.

The pink, flower-like flame in the front of the picture - I wondered if this is part of the creature's body - his tail perhaps - but it also seems to be alight. It perhaps symbolizes the lure of obsession, which at first may appear attractive but which ultimately becomes devouring. It creeps up on one, unexpected and then takes hold before the individual is aware.

This image is quite specific yet all encompassing and therefore terribly effective. Traditional devils are almost comic now but this image is real in terms of our understanding and experience. It could happen to us. We have probably seen it happen in others.