Tarot in Movies

tarotbear

"Live and Let Die" slip-up ~~

In one scene Geoffrey Holder burns a card from the Tarot of the Witches, but several scenes later when David Hedeson shows the burnt cards to someone - it's the Rider. :smoker:

The 78th Fool

tarotbear said:
"Live and Let Die" slip-up ~~

In one scene Geoffrey Holder burns a card from the Tarot of the Witches, but several scenes later when David Hedeson shows the burnt cards to someone - it's the Rider. :smoker:

I never noticed that!!!

tarotbear

Fraudian slip-up?

It's a little more silly than that. The Fergus Hall deck used in the movie had a special 'James Bond' edition (I own one) that had blue backs with "007' in them. In the movie, Jane Seymour uses a red version of the same design. Don't you think it's odd that Solitaire uses a deck that says "007" on the Backs?

Although the Rider appears in several places - mostly signs- in the movie, Solitaire uses the Fergus Hall deck. After she loses her powers (guess how? DUH!) she is ushered out and Geofferey Holder comes in, picks up the deck and starts to burn a card. Although it has the red 007 Fergus Hall back, it's actually the RWS High Priestess card if you look quickly.

Several scenes later, David Hedeson has the HP, Moon, and Death - all burned, but still the RWS. I guess the producers thought no one would notice.

I want a reading room with a built-in cape and headdress like Solitaire has!

Sechat

Latest Tarot sighting

Just saw the Bruce Willis movie "Hostage". The teenage daughter has used various tarot cards (classic RWS) to decorate her room. There is a deliberate close up shot of the Tower card at one point.

peace,sechat

rainwolf

Oh ya, i remember that merc! She draws the tower death and devil, reshuffles them, adn draws the same cards i think....and she doesnt really give it any thought--the character was such a ditz!

Ulfdis

I think it was one of the Warlock movies that I channel-surfed onto a few nights ago (3-15?-05) late at night on the Sci-Fi Channel. All I could stand to watch was a scene where a blonde girl sat down on a bare floor, unwrapped a Universal Waite deck (I'd recognize those card backs anywhere... lovely!) and laid out a Celtic Cross spread. The final card was (cue the creepy music) the Devil Rx.

psychic sue

Dont know if you got it in US but in UK there used to be a programme on years ago called Tales of the Unexpected. They were short dramas with a twist at the end - like the Monkey's Paw type thing.

Anyway, at the beginning, they showed tarot cards revolving in a circle with a woman's silhouette dancing in fire in the middle. One of the cards was the death card - used to scare the wits out of me when I was a kid! I used to hide my face! But the stories weren't really scary, just had a twist you weren't expecting.

I never thought I'd be reading them one day! But maybe that's where my fascination for the cards began? Who knows.

Sue x

The 78th Fool

I remember that!!
Those were Swiss 1JJ cards and they used to go round on a ferris wheel to hurdy gurdy music - totally creepy when you're only eleven!! All I can remember about the show was an episode about a Landlady into taxidermy who used to murder then stuff her tenants - needless to say, a very strange show indeed!

Chris. xx

psychic sue

The 78th Fool said:
needless to say, a very strange show indeed!

Chris. xx

That's probably why I liked it - I'm a very strange person!

;)

Sue

Etteilla

Hostage Tarot sighting...

The RW Tower card was definitely showcased as were other cards in a spread on the teenager's wall. Wasn't it interesting that the Castle-like home was burning... just like the RW card with the people trying to get out? It had to be by design... Very cool.