Reading the Whip

Aster Breo

Of all the Lenormand cards, the Whip is the one that I have the most trouble with. I think that's because, unlike other cards, the Whip's various meanings don't seem related. It can indicate such a diverse range of meanings, including:

* things that are related to repetitive physical action -- positive, like sex, exercise, even dance; and negative, like abuse and physical punishment
* it can indicate arguments
* it can indicate discipline, including self discipline
* it can indicate clearing out -- of emotions, of habits, of accumulated things

I'm sure there are other meanings I'm not thinking of right now.

I'm curious about how other people determine which meaning(s) are relevant in a reading. Obviously, the context of the question and the surrounding cards figures in.

But what do you do when more than one meaning could fit, but they result in radically different readings? How do you decide which interpretation to use?

MissNine

Ooo good question. From my small experience, I think GTs are helpful this way. In a GT, I can look to neighboring cards and the house it's in to tell me the context.

By the way, I've seen Whip refer to an excercise routine with the Anchor. It's repetitive and competitive nature goes with the everyday routine of the Anchor.

Hope that helps!