The Faeries' Oracle (Froud) - Least Favorite Card

Bellaluna06

I hope no one minds my bumping this thread up. I just got my Faery deck today for my birthday and I'm doing the exercises.

My least favorite card is G. Hobyah. The green eyes staring back at you and the long spikes coming from his wrists, it looks like he could really hurt you. Not someone you'd want to run into.

Jewel

Bellaluna06 said:
I hope no one minds my bumping this thread up. I just got my Faery deck today for my birthday and I'm doing the exercises.

My least favorite card is G. Hobyah. The green eyes staring back at you and the long spikes coming from his wrists, it looks like he could really hurt you. Not someone you'd want to run into.

Welcome to the study group!!!! Great to have you join us!. Have you done the whole "Least Favorite Card" exercise from the book yet? if not, you might want to try it with this card to get further insights into why you like him the least. It is a great exercise, and a great way to get to know him better.

Bellaluna06

Jewel said:
Welcome to the study group!!!! Great to have you join us!. Have you done the whole "Least Favorite Card" exercise from the book yet? if not, you might want to try it with this card to get further insights into why you like him the least. It is a great exercise, and a great way to get to know him better.

I'm working my way through the book right now. I have done the most favorite and least favorite exercise. I was impressed when I opened the box, a nice hardcover book and the cards are much more beautiful than the scans I saw!

Jewel

Bellaluna06 said:
I'm working my way through the book right now. I have done the most favorite and least favorite exercise. I was impressed when I opened the box, a nice hardcover book and the cards are much more beautiful than the scans I saw!
The more you work with this deck the more surprises await you ;)

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

.traveller.

Part of my New Year's Resolution

I promised myself I would begin posting my experiences with the Faeries with the beginning of this new year, so here goes:

Most Uncomfortable Card: Solus #13
1. Emotional atmosphere?
Pain, rawness, angry, abusive.
2. Physical manifestations?
Burns, cuts, scrapes, house fire.
3. Mental characteristics:
Simple
4. Spiritual:
Teaching, healing.
5. What do you find most uncomfortable about this card?
His blue eyes, they initially struck me as very cold. The gold mask-like face, superficially appealing, seems to cover up less desirable qualities of man. The red in the card reminded me of wounds.
6. Anything appealing or attractive about this card?
The spark of light at the base of the card, I find it comforting.
7. Other ideas/impressions?
I had a very strong emotional response to this card and found this a difficult exercise. After writing all of this down in my journal, I noticed that Solus appeared to be crying. The impression I received was that he felt my pain and shared it. Because of that, I also associate Empathy with this card.

This journal entry was recorded on October 23, 2006. Since then, Solus and I have worked together to change my perception of him. He has since become my positive father figure card and proud parent. And he's smiling now...

Jewel

.traveller. said:
Most Uncomfortable Card: Solus #13

7. Other ideas/impressions?
I had a very strong emotional response to this card and found this a difficult exercise. After writing all of this down in my journal, I noticed that Solus appeared to be crying. The impression I received was that he felt my pain and shared it. Because of that, I also associate Empathy with this card.

This journal entry was recorded on October 23, 2006. Since then, Solus and I have worked together to change my perception of him. He has since become my positive father figure card and proud parent. And he's smiling now...

I am glad to hear that you have gotten to know Souls better. I certainly feel empathy in this card, but I also see his penetrating gaze as one that counsels accountability and honesty with self. I believe there is an old thread about this card around somewhere in this forum, if you have not read it you might enjoy it.

Every year or so I re-do these exercises and it is really interesting how the results sometimes change.

Enlightenment1

Imagemaker said:
I've been playing (emphasis on that) for about 3 weeks, watching my reactions shift among the less friendly faeries. Though the Bodach, Shrinker challenged me, I could find something to compliment them on.

Hobjah has great fingernails for distant itches, Shrinker carries the load of human meanness.

The two I still have trouble with are Bodach and Dark Lady--because of the mean intent I see in their eyes. The handbook says he's a meddler and she helps us through our grief and sorrow. I can deal with mean meddlers, but I don't get any feeling of "help" from Dark Lady. It says, she "understands how to surrender to divine power" and "helps us move forward to the place beyond grief.

Huh? This spirit?! Is her method to push me off a cliff to move me forward?

I get no feeling of surrender in her, either. With her head down, she looks sly and intimidating. With her head up, she looks arrogant and uncaring.

I think I have to go have a dialogue with her, or else she completely fooled Brian Froud and is gleefully plotting her next attack.

*shivers*

I totally agree with everything you've said here. I feel exactly the same about The Dark Lady. I just can't seem to comprehend how she "helps us move forward to the place beyond grief" with such a cold hearted, mean, scary, dark look on her face (especially in those eyes).

Also, The Soul Shrinker *shudders* and the name worries me more!

These are my two least favourite.

Jewel

Enlightenment1 said:
I feel exactly the same about The Dark Lady. I just can't seem to comprehend how she "helps us move forward to the place beyond grief" with such a cold hearted, mean, scary, dark look on her face (especially in those eyes).

Also, The Soul Shrinker *shudders* and the name worries me more!

These are my two least favourite.
Enlightnment1, put the book down ~smiles gently~. Do not get cought up in the idea that the cards mean exactly what their description is in the book. I have found, as have many here in the study group, that the faeries have a lot of dimensions to them. Funny enough, just as I had the same Favorite card you do (Indi), these two were my least favorites as well. I think I finallly settled in on Soul Shrinker.

Then I started spending time with him. I learned a lot. He is the projection of human cruelty, but is actually very sweet. What makes him ugly is ugly acts (ugly is as ugly does). If you give him a chance he might show you a much softer side of himself. We have a really good thread on him that you might want to read. He is now (5 years later) one of my best faerie buddies. If given the chance, and not put on the defensive, he can be quite sweet.

As for the Dark Lady, I have to tell you that she has never shown me the way through grief. She sure has sexual, sensual energy though and my husband thinks she rocks! *LOL*. I find her kind of dark. Sort of like a shadow self of the tarot high priestess. She is complex, but not mean. I think she can see to your core and show you the truths you may hide inside and deny. In that way, once you see them you can face and act on them, which in some cases can help you reach the other side of grief. Having great sex is also another way of moving to the other side of grief, and some people do do that (particularly when someone has died). I am not trying to be lude or crude here, but think about it ... It lieterally took me years to become comfortable with her. There was a time I would get her as a daily draw several times a week. She made me deal with her.

Just remember, the book is a guide ... get to know your faeries as they express themselves to you. Don't stereotype them.

Kenny

I like The Dark Lady, I picked her up today as the card of the day and she was so peaceful and calm. When I read about her I did not see the negative aspects of her too much, only those of the light.

Without the dark there would be no light, no beauty. Saying that the dark has a beauty of its own. In a dark forest, the moon shining through the trees; an owl calling out, the wisper of wind, the silence of the night.

PeterS

62 -- The Glanconer

Some one earlier mentioned this one and quickly made the top of the list but there were a few contenders, Dark Lady and Luathas the Wild were in contention. The Glanconer is truly an enemy but if feel it may be a bit of projection on my part, as he shows us a bit of ourselves.

1. The emotional state of the card is an angry, leering smile. Dark eyes, not pupils unsure what he see. I feel probed by the inky darkness. There seem to be a second dormant, infant-like head between his eyes where his brain should be. The infant eyes blocked by an impure gleam.

2. The physical manifestation is solitary and unhealthy. A purity perverted my corruption. Being aware of the pollution of self.

3. A mental state is of a mind that allows the eyes to lead the body will only find itself depraved by glitter, deprived of value and angry at the world for the loss.

4. Spiritual depravity in anger and torment. The leer and a snarl show a loathing and a perverse hunger at the same time.

5. I am most uncomfortable with the image of the snarl on his face.

This Fae can be a little beast.