Secret Forest - 2 Wands

tabbycat

It isn't a Snowy Owl, it's a Barn Owl. Here's a very similar photo -
http://www.barnowl.co.uk/
I've seen Barn Owls flying in twilight and although they're brown on their backs, they're very pale underneath and look almost ghostly in dim light.

Jilly

firemaiden

Interestingly, I don't see the figure on the black and white side.

Deidrui

2 Wands

Yes, there are white owls, they are called snow owls. Seems to me we all need to brush up on Ted Andrews, Animal Speaks/Animal Wise. I love the way you all see this card but to me it seems on the colored side of the card that knowledge is coming to you. Swiftly. I don't know why but that is just what I get. Owls are known to be wise and they are also known to be messengers. However the b/w side of this cards tells me that knowledge escapes a person. One who really doesn't get it.

Here is a link to a snowy owl:
http://www.answers.com/topic/snowy-owl

Here is a link to learn about what this wonderful creature means:
http://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/OwlTotem.html

What it means in the Celt path: Owl (Cailleach, Oidhche, Comachag): These birds were most often associated with the Crone aspect of the Goddess. The word "cailleach" in the Scottish-Gaelic means "owl". The owl is often a guide to and through the Underworld, a creature of keen sight in darkness, and a silent and swift hunter. It can help unmask those who would deceive you or take advantage of you.

Indian Spirituality - Owl people:
http://www.amberwood.org/indian3.htm#owl

Taken from Pathwalkers.Net: The Owl is the animal for the second Spirit Path position of the East. It symbolizes many things to many different peoples. To some the owl represents all that is wise and good; to others, all that is dark and bad. Owls have been thought to be wise messengers, sometimes the bringer of news of death, frequently the transmitter of old wisdom and knowledge. Owl medicine is thought to be so strong that it should not be mixed with other energies, or worked with lightly or irresponsible. Although much of owl medicine is secret, it is said to relate to ancient knowledge of the feminine. If you are looking for answers, ask owl who is all wise. But don't ask unless you're willing to get an answer that may lead you on journeys to unknown territories whether on the spiritual, mental, emotional or physical plane.

From sayahda.com: There are approximately 135 species of Owl, seventeen which are found in North America.** Their secretive habits, quiet flight and various calls from whistles, screeches and hoots,* have made them objects of superstition and even fear in some parts of the world.
Some native tribes see the owl as a symbol of death while other tribes believe they embody the mysteries of shamanism and sorcery.** Individuals with this totem are private complex people and don't like others to know what they are really thinking. This can sometimes lead to misunderstandings especially in the area of personal relationships.

Owls have many abilities which set them apart from all other birds. Their wings which are extremely soft and thick, allow them to fly silently as they can swoop down on unsuspecting prey.* They are able to slip in and out of places unnoticed and can* teach us how to do the same.

Their eyes are large and forward facing giving them a wise appearance.* They have a greater range of motion in their necks than any other animal with a spinal column. Owls turn their heads rather than their eyes, which are stationary.* Their night vision is so powerful that they can see prey when the light is the equivalent of a candle burning 2500 feet away!

Their powers of vision are matched by their almost otherworldly hearing abilities.* In studies done with owls that were placed in totally light free rooms, the owls were able to locate a mouse by sound alone. Those with this medicine are usually gifted with clairvoyant and clairaudient abilities.* Souls who are born with this totem have chosen a path which suggests a need to refine and perfect these gifts for the aid of others. They make excellent therapists, psychologists and counselors.

Active at dawn and dusk owls are sometimes referred to as the night eagle, a messenger from the darkness and a guide through all the mysteries that it contains. It teaches us how to embrace our personal darkness without fear.* Owls are sometimes thought to come to those that are about to die.* This does not mean a physical death as much as it means the letting go of some part of yourself that is not serving you.* Owls with their spectral senses help guide us through the dark tunnels of fear, change and uncertainty to the brilliant* light shining at the other end.* If the owl appears in your life thank it for its willingness to guide you through its shadowy realm to the other side of promise and joy.

My own side note here: You will find that these White Owls are a protected species.

Jewel-ry

Hi Deidrui,

I forgot about Ted Andrews! Thanks for pointing it out :).

I do actually have the Animal Wise Tarot and although I dont use it for readings I do often refer to the book for the wealth of information on animals. I can see that it will come in really useful when discussing this deck.

Thanks for joining the discussion group.