A Symbology Study Group for Tarot

tabi

I would really like to do this but thought I would bounce this out there for other people to chime in with their thoughts and feelings about this.

What I want to do is literally pick apart a choose card. IE: If it is the Tower card, everyone will pull out the Tower card from whatever deck that they want to use. It doesn't matter if you want to pull out a couple of different Tower cards.

Then we each post a reply on the thread: ToD Tower (simply because it is one of my favorites) and Thoughts. Giving a very detailed description of the card, we include our thoughts on what certain symbols mean in general and to us personally.

Hopefully opening a dialog along the way that enables us to view a certain card in a different context. So if I come start this with the Tower; it would look like this:

Tabi's ToD Tower Card and Thoughts:

A mulity leveled Gold Tower stands in the center of the card. There is baloncies, peaks, doors, windows, and towers spiking up everywhere as the Tower raises from a wide base into a single tower. There is a ray of golden light shining from the left side about the middle of the card, and a bolt of white lightening right about it. From the ray of light up the tower is on fire. In the foreground there is some trees. In the background the sky is cloudy in a shade of red-ish tones, the upper portion of the sky is pure black.​

• Choice of Colors: Gold in the Tower~richness, luxury, going too far.
    Gold in the Ray of Light~purity, calming, spiritual.
    Red in the Sky~angery, lust, confusion
    Black in the Sky~unknown, unsure, fear, flying blindly
  • So many Layers: Doors~being opens to go through, to leave behind things or to open them to see what lays ahead.
    Windows~to look at, to dream about
    Levels of the Tower~layer upon layer of what life hands us, each representing an area of life: work, family, school, friends.
  • and etc.

You can add a image if you like but make sure that you still do the detail description because this is what is going to force you into seeing outside the box, and inside the card. Also remember that not everything in a card is meant to symbolize something, it maybe just the artist/creator feeling the need to through in a little something extra. But someone else can jump in here and add their thoughts because they may see the color black as something completely different.

So tell me what you think, if there is enough people interested we can start up a steady group that we choose one card to study the symbols in for say a two to three week period. Each card getting it's own thread that way we do, and a link to the original thread (this one or one of its own) to cut back on confusion. Again though this all depends upon what everyone else thinks about it.

Tabi

Attachments

• ToD_Tower_Modified.JPG
    ToD_Tower_Modified.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 130

teomat

I think this is an excellent idea, however when I once suggested doing something like this in the ODW thread, I was told that the '78 weeks of study' is the same sort of thing.

However the '78' threads seem a bit dry to me (no offence intended :)). Lots of monologues, no dialogues on the chosen card.

It'd be great to actually DISCUSS the similarities, differences and ideas everyone has about the Tower. Perhaps throw in some examples of 'Tower' moments in our lives or those of our querents. Ask a few questions and get some answers on the history and symbology of the card, and not just describe what the card looks like.

It'd be a great ongoing resource for all of us (especially newbies). I know we have threads like this on the Study Forum (and History section), but they're all scattered and focus on single decks. I think it would be useful to have a generic thread on each card, as you suggest tabi.

Emily

I'd be interested in something like this. I think it would make a good study stripping the cards back to their bare bones in a way. :)

tabi

I'm glad that other people are interested, like you said Teomat this is about a general view of the tarot in general. If there is a tarot card that you don't understand or a certain image you don't get get this would also help by breaking it down to the fundunmental elements that make up the card. It could be as simple as coloring and structure or it could be something completely different.

Tabi :D

almandine

I would also be interested if it was more discussion-based. I have not yet joined the 78 weeks group only because it seems like everyone just posts their own study responses and very little discussion ensues. I already do that on my own in my journal and there is no motivation for me to type out and post what I have already written. I love feedback and interaction from other participants.

mystic mal

I think that is a great idea Tabi. It really makes you LOOK at the card and dissect it when you put it like that rather than a quick glance. Other peoples opinions gives you more insight and opens up your intuition to further symbology.

tabi

I work an insanely odd schedule which is why I am making it two to three weeks at a time but this gives everyone plenty of time to be able to do this and deal with the day to day things. Everyone that is interested should I start the Symbol Study Group thread for us to begin with?

Before we start is there a certain card that someone would like to begin with because they have a difficult time relating or understanding it?

Keep in mind that anyone can start a thread but make sure that it falls between that two to three week period to give enough time for everyone to chime in. I also believe that we need to inform Moonbow and/or Sulis if we are going to start this.

I however I'm going to go to bed for a few hours, I have to work this evening. If someone does start the thread for this make sure to link it in here, and inform the mods.

tabi

Roewyn

Awesome idea Tabi!!

Im in. :)

I like the idea of tearing apart the symbology in that even if one of the little added "extras" you mentioned that the artist may have placed in the card itself can present meaning to its reader in different aspects or different times. Sometimes a bird in the sky may mean nothing, whereas another time it may mean everything.

KUDOS!!!

rebecca-smiles

I am just atarting the 78 weeks but would love to be a part of this.....

....i can see us all leaning over the cyber table and pouring over a card together! :)

tarot4fun

Tabi, I would love to be a part of the Symbol Study Group. :)
I, like you, want to be a part of a discussion, as opposed to a monologue thread -there's enough of that in my head already! :D
I have been studied the Golden Tarot Tower a lot lately and think that would be a good start!
Watching this thread with hope and anticipation! :heart:
Blessings~