Shuffling- how do you get reversals....

214red

Thanks to all of you, its something i wondered and all your feedback was welcomed. i might try the spinning one, but being a clutz this might mean they all end up on the floor.

Nik

Aladdin

If any cards fall out whilst shuffling and land face down you can replace them in the pack probably not knowing if they are reversed or not - until they appear in your next spread. Most decks have symetrical back images so it's impossible to tell what goes back reversed, unless patterns of wear etc. give you a clue.

EmpressRenee

I would first put all the cards the right way up - then randomly turn some upside down to get reversals - then shuffle the deck again so that the reversed cards are well mixed in the deck.

Empress

214red said:
Hi,
not sure if it has been posted before, searched but couldn't find anything to answer this question.

i keep my cards ordered before readings, by that i mean that i like my cards before shuffling to be the right way up. before readings i shuffle my cards the way you would normally shuffle playing cards.

Now if i do this i will rarely if ever get reversals (am not opening the reversals debate), should you encourage reversals by a different method of shuffling?

Does anyone have this same issue? advice welcome, even if its point me in the direction of a similar post.
Cheers
Nik

Kenny

I take a few cards from the middle of the deck and add them to the end and keep doing that until the cards are shuffled when I then draw the cards.

Normally I do not do reversals however if I was I would take a pile of cards from the middle and turn them before carrying on shuffling, sometimes I would keep on doing this for a short while.

The best way would be to follow the advice in this thread and keep some cards reversed... :)

Kenny :)

thorhammer

My favourite way of getting reversals is the "swooshing" method of shuffling . . . not overly dignified, but somewhat . . . liberating, really!

\m/ Kat

Ligator

I turn a portion of the cards around every time I shuffle and I never put the cards back correct.

According to statistics I sould therefore have about half of my stack reversed.

/T

Demon Goddess

I simply shuffle the cards as if they were playing cards. Might as well be prepping for a poker game. I never reorder my cards and every know and again, when I get the urge, I simply flip a section of cards in the middle of the deck.

janee

shuffling and reversals

I put the deck on the table and mix them around with both hands until I feel ready and then put them back into a deck and shuffle, that way I figure that the ones that are reversed should be.

214red

Thanks to all of you, am trying different ways at the moment, my fave so far is the spreading them and messing them about...reminds me of being a child!

zachlost

thorhammer said:
My favourite way of getting reversals is the "swooshing" method of shuffling . . . not overly dignified, but somewhat . . . liberating, really!
\m/ Kat

I'm Chinese - it's like Mah-Jong! ... we call it "washing" the cards.
I usually have my deck down on a large silk cloth, so it doesn't scratch the glossy finish on the deck. I find this method harder to concentrate on question - compared to when I'm shuffling ...

When I do a two-handed shuffle:
- it's cut the deck in half
- turn one half upside down
- riffle shuffle the two halves together
- then I do the Hindu shuffle
- rinse/repeat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffling