Golden Dawn Hebrew before c. 1900

kwaw

The punic/scarlet worm in Hebrew is also used synonymously for a person, mankind (through the association of blood (red) DM and person (ADAM):

תולעת = אדום / אדם

Tola (son) of Issichar was described as 'worm-like'

'The Tolaites' is a homonym of 'worm-like' (HTVLOY)

הַתֹּולָעִ֑י
(vermiculus - crimson, worm).

(Stretch I know, 'worm-like' is the only thing related to worm that I can find beginning with He).

Ross G Caldwell

The punic/scarlet worm in Hebrew is also used synonymously for a person, mankind (through the association of blood (red) DM and person (ADAM):

תולעת = אדום / אדם

Tola (son) of Issichar was described as 'worm-like'

'The Tolaites' is a homonym of 'worm-like' (HTVLOY)

הַתֹּולָעִ֑י
(vermiculus - crimson, worm).

(Stretch I know, 'worm-like' is the only thing related to worm that I can find beginning with He).

Yep, that's all I could ever find too. I'm not satisfied with that. I wish Canini had explained his etymologies. You'd think he would have done that. Maybe somewhere else, in a dictionary or someplace.

At the moment I'm not up to checking Syriac, Coptic, Arabic, or Ethiopic, all of which were in his brain. I imagine it has to be simple though.

Ross G Caldwell

A new interpretation of old Hebrew writing, somewhat relevant to our discussion of the meaning of the letters -

http://asorblog.org/?p=6692

Brian Colless thinks that the west-semitic proto-alphabet was adapted as a syllabary in Israel around 1200 b.c.e.

I am not sure how his colleagues have received his theory yet. For my part, his language seems to be that of a believer in the Biblical narrative (not an inerrantist or creationist, but in things like the settlement of the "holy land", the Exodus, the narratives in Judges, Samuel and Kings, etc.), so I am extremely cautious of his reading of the ostracon as mentioning David and Goliath.