The High Priestess R

Andissm

Hi. How do you see the High Priestess in a reversed position?

To me the High Priestess in this position signifies some kind of revelation. As the High Priestess in upright position means some hidden secret/knowledge or something you are unaware of, it makes sense to me to think that when the High Priestess is reversed that which has been unknown to one is revealed. But also, doesn't the High Priestess in upright position mean that you should listen to your intuition and inner wisdom because it will lead you in the right direction? Could this card being reversed mean that you should not rely on your intuition at that time?

contradiction

i do agree with your interpertation of this card. but, i ususally see the card referring to "balance". balancing, the known, and unknown, intuition, and non-intuition, fact and fiction, love and hate, any and all other opposities, as determined by the particiular reading. (its too early for spelling),
this is probably the only card i pay attention to symbols, you have two colums, one black, one white, representing good and bad, imo, the sun, and moon, a christian cross, a scroll of the tora, i do not remember at this moment what the B & J stand for, but again opposites, the HP, is sitting between, bringing all together, this can only be done by balance. therefore reversed would be out of balance, maybe something being worked on, or tore down, again depending on the other cards.

fluffy

Pillars

Hi,

I think the two pillars B & J stand for Boaz and Jachin (or something like that i can't really remember) anyhooo they were the two pillars at the entrance of King Solomons temple (i think at the entrance to the "holy of holys" which was where the Ark of the Covenant was kept). Not sure how this helps other than they were maybe kind of guarding the knowledge of the ark or the way to knowledge or maybe something like that.

Love Fluffy
x

hopena

In the Lo Scarabeo Tarot - the deck based on the RWS, the Thoth, and the Marseilles - the keyword given as the shadow aspect of this card, is "assumption". (I found this thread, whilst looking up the High Priestess, in all three forums. :) )

Amazon

Boaz represents passivity & mystery in the dark pillar.

Jachin represents action & consciousness in the light pillar.

I feel the reversed position says you are not listening to your intuition or are afraid to delve into the unconscious/your pain.

Amazon

Nineveh

I asked the question, "Does he have children?" of another tarot reader. She responded by telling me that the he has two.

He doesn't have any children hidden or otherwise.

I asked the cards why would she tell me this when it's not true. I pulled the high priestess reversed.

The high priestess can represent a psychic, intuition, and the ability to see what the average person does not. I interpreted the reversed h.p. as her not using her abilities to potential. Another interpretation I looked up was ignorance. That would be befitting since it wasn't true.

Ana's Song

The High Priestess to me represents something intellectual, a card of calm, measured thinking, and at the same time including intuition and almost like womanly instinct. Almost like a combination of Swords with a wee bit of focused Cups energy! Therefore to me, reversed the card represents either trickery (sort of like the negative aspects of the Magician) or manipulativeness, or manifestation of sexuality and physicality i.e. non-intellectual thoughts and actions.

I think Rachel Pollack mentions this possibility as well in 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

Also check out Thirteen's High Priestess-specific reversals thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57386