Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
Gregory, I get your point. But how should Baba feel, if their decks on ebay go for hundrets and they (as the artists) sell for 20? Nobody sells under their own value, otherwise they would be crazy.

I saw one of their old special golden decks sold for app. 400, so they themselves sold that deck in this range. Would one expect to do it for less by them, one could say they had a really problem with self-worth. It's an absolutely logical decision they made.

Their LE Alice, which they sold for 120 at the first point, sold on ebay for 400 - the limit isn't reached obviously.
Their Prague 2nd ed. which they offered some time ago I think for 115 (they found 15 decks in their storage) were away the same day. How could one expect to sell it for the old prices, for 20?
ANYTHING sells for illy money if people will pay that. There's an in print paperback book I lined the other day - a very ordinary one - offered on amazon for OVER 1000 That does not mean the publisher should sell if for that, or should feel aggrieved about someone else doing so. The same applies to antiques - I have some original Woolworths plastic paper clips (!!!) which cost me 2d each back in the day. You can get 10 each on ebay now - because there are no more, nor will there ever be any more made - the UK Woolworths went bust. Sure, rare and OOP items will fetch a bundle - rarity counts. Adn I doubt if David Hockney is angry when he sees his early work sell for 100x more than he sold it for.

But you could say the same about all sorts of decks that are long out of print - say, the Greenwood (I bought mine for 12) Granny Jones - likewise. But if they came back into print, there is no reason they should be brought back into print at those prices. The reason for the high price on this reprint is that the only available editions are very fancy. And what many people had hoped for was an ordinary, affordable one - of a deck that had been that way last time around. That's all.
Top   #101
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

I suppose if David Hockney were broke, he might be irritated.

Am I the only one who thinks the scarf is not very exciting? Just curious (and clumsy with such things).

My main thing is that I passed on the whole thing the first time so .... why now? I suppose I should look at it but it seems too late. Some day I should try to make it through the cats.

As has been pointed out (and has always been the case), you may ask as much as you please for something, but it is only worth what someone will pay you.

Diana
Top   #102
Seeking wisdom, peace, and solitude

Annabelle 

Issues of cost aside, I'm over the moon that they are working on a new Tarot of Prague, and I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of the pre-orders .

I have the 1st and 2nd editions already, and love them dearly. The Tarot of Prague remains among my top-ten favorite decks of all time.

And I confess, I think the idea of a scarf is pretty cool .
Top   #103
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
Issues of cost aside, I'm over the moon that they are working on a new Tarot of Prague, and I'm eagerly awaiting the opening of the pre-orders .

I have the 1st and 2nd editions already, and love them dearly. The Tarot of Prague remains among my top-ten favorite decks of all time.

It is just me then I will have to take another look at the thing. My utter failure to love the two Baba decks I have is a little worrisome. I am going to try again before they go off though.

(I envision the cat managing to snag the scarf.)

Diana
Top   #104
Citizen

FLizarraga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Many DID miss the boat. That's the point. It used to be a "normal" priced deck. Those boat-missing people were hoping they would be able to buy one at last. Yes the old normal ones shot up in value. So they couldn't even buy used.

I don't think investing in art is in the same class. The people who want to buy decks as an investment will be happy to buy the foiled LEs. The people who simply want to read/study tarot are not looking to make money. They would just have loved to have the relatively ordinary one that came out as the second edition. I'm not gloating over the decks that I have that have appreciated in value - it never occurred to me when I bought them that they would (this place didn't even exist when I started, and the used tarot store I used in the early 80s sold all used decks cheap because who wants USED anything ? ). I will not be selling them because I use them for TAROT. That kind of person is the kind of person who is sad, here.

This "issue", this discussion, has arisen only because this deck USED to be reasonably priced and people who had longed for it hoped it still would be when they heard that MRP were reprinting. No-one was this way about Alice, as it never had been priced at that level. THAT is the difference.
As always, gregory, you're a voice of reason, sanity, and serenity.

As for the Alice, I took it as a foreshadowing, a shadow of things to come. Sadly, it seems I was right. By not offering a regular edition at all for the first time, they showed that they are starting to focus exclusively on the higher end of the market. Oh, well. It was good while it lasted.
Top   #105
Citizen

FLizarraga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintlyMacabre View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the scarf is not very exciting? Just curious (and clumsy with such things).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
The stuff about getting a scarf, I can understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
And no, rylla, I don't think the scarf has anything to do with the price of the new large Prague edition. if factored in, it would make it considerably higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylla View Post
ETA I have beautiful silk scarves - with patterns well suited to tarot - they don't work (for me) for reading. The silk (if it's not underlined) is slippery and it moves all around (I tried). I can't use a silk scarf as a spread cloth. I use spread cloth specially made as such as spread cloth.
Quote:
thanks, if I buy it I'll buy the larger size (I am actually upset at myself, because - scarf or no scarf - I most probably I am going to buy it anyway - I have the standard deck and is not just beautiful, actually it works well for reading - I really love this deck)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
And I'm fine with a scarf - it'll make a great spreadcoth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
rylla, the standard IS without the scarf.... You have to pay extra for one, if you want it wit the standard deck.
Quote:
Ah! Good. I wish they would sell without the scarf. Than they could reduce the price by at least 20 Euro (= the cost of shipping) and ship it for free Or give you the option to by it with the scarf or without it (anyway you can add a scarf to your order any time). Wondering how many people care if a scarf is limited edition or not and that is going to go OOP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
To be fair, that's the large format, shorter run deck, so the price of the scarf is not really added to it. (Their silk scarves are not cheap, and I don't see a reason why they should be.)
Quote:
Why do you have to buy a scarf too when you just want a deck?!?
Please stop talking about that SCAAAAAAAAAARF!!!!!!

Sorry, it's just that I always wanted to say that.... http://haplesstigger.blogspot.com/20...e-routine.html
Top   #106
Star clad

Padma 

that was *awesome!* I love Lily Tomlin....

Oops! Now I am OT!

I wonder if they will just be updating the old Prague book, or writing a whole new one...?
Top   #107
Citizen

Bluefeet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padma View Post

Oops! Now I am OT!

I wonder if they will just be updating the old Prague book, or writing a whole new one...?
According to Karen's facebook post, it will be reprint with some update: "It will of course have the updated pictures, but we have refined rather than changed most pictures (for instance, many of the backgrounds are different). I think if you have the first edition companion book it would still mostly work fine."

Just an FYI - Folks, the Baba facebook page is PUBLIC, which means everyone has full access to all their announcements even if you don't have an account.

https://www.facebook.com/BabaStudios
Top   #108
Star clad

Padma 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedShadow View Post
According to Karen's facebook post, it will be reprint with some update: "It will of course have the updated pictures, but we have refined rather than changed most pictures (for instance, many of the backgrounds are different). I think if you have the first edition companion book it would still mostly work fine."

Just an FYI - Folks, the Baba facebook page is PUBLIC, which means everyone has full access to all their announcements even if you don't have an account.

Thanks for the info, EnchantedShadow! Sadly, when I go to that link (I am not a member of FB) after a few moments, this white opaque wall starts inching up the page until it is covered, saying "not a member? Join Facebook today!" and one does not have enough time to read the posts...or see through the white opaque weirdness wall!
Top   #109
Citizen

FLizarraga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedShadow View Post

Quote:
Thanks for the info, EnchantedShadow! Sadly, when I go to that link (I am not a member of FB) after a few moments, this white opaque wall starts inching up the page until it is covered, saying "not a member? Join Facebook today!" and one does not have enough time to read the posts...or see through the white opaque weirdness wall!
Thanks for the info, EnchantedShadow. FWIW, I am a Facebook member, and a "friend" of Baba Studio, and couldn't find that info when I was trying to dig it up for Padma. I guess it's not a recent post. They have been posting a lot about the Prague, between 'before and after' pictures of the cards and answers to people's questions.

Also, stuff that's 'public' on Facebook is only public for Facebook members, AFAIK.

Quote:
*nasal voice* Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?
Top   #110

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.