Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post

Even so... (not that I care that much either way) but I would NOT buy a bag; I have a zillion dollar store ones that would work fine (yes, Daemon Lover, there are dollar store ones that hold Alice, certainly, and while I have never LOOKED for larger ones as I don't need any, I have no doubt at all that my friendly local $ store will have something that will work just fine) The scarf would end up as a gift for someone else, to be honest. I don't DO that kind of scarf - not for fashion and not for tarot.

Sorry Fliz.

Not
I'm glad that they come in a box; otherwise I would bay a bag to match the deck - so it is different for everyone (in the past I bought matching Baba bags for their decks even if they came boxed - this deck is expensive enough for a reprint of a deck that I will renounce buying a bag this time- but other people might)
Top   #141
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon Lover View Post
Show me a tarot bag that would be big enough to house the large format deck? And....you can wear it! Not the bag, the scarf lol.
It is not so for me. If I want a scarf I buy a scarf; if I want a bag I buy a bag, same for a spread cloth. Each of these are more suitable for what they were originally designed. Imagine, keeping your deck in a scarf, then when you go out taking out the deck and wearing the scarf (sorry, just seems funny). It's true, it gives you a kind of choice what to use for. But ONLY if the scarf is made of very thick silk - which I doubt (otherwise it doesn't work well as a spread cloth) (but then it would not be so nice as a scarf

I guess we are talking about the scarf so much as it is an unusual combination with a tarot deck - one not desired by many I suppose)

If Baba offers extra, a spread cloth or a bag would've been much more suitable. Another advantage of it would be that we would not talk about the scarf and FLizarraga would not be bothered by it
Top   #142
Citizen

cSpaceDiva 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
This isn't about the art - I imagine it is excellent. It's about the quality of production leading to a very high price for an already loved and admired deck that is being reissued, which many would have loved to buy and won't be able to, is all.
Right. That's kind of my point. Why isn't it about the art? We are 140+ posts into a thread about 'an already loved and admired deck' which, by the way, is having every card reworked in some way, and no one has talked about a single card from this deck (correct me if I am wrong.) What cards would people like to see changed? What cards do they hope will stay the same? Why do they love this deck? What makes it special that they would love to buy it?

Aside from that, I don't really agree that the concerns about pricing are confined to this deck only, but perhaps we just see it differently.
Top   #143
Citizen

Gulliver 

Okay, Space Diva, I would be interested in how look the backs? I find that very important, don't do FB, so anyone knows?

And what are the extra cards? If I remember right here was a post saying that there would be two extra cards, right?
Top   #144
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon Lover View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, (I haven't read every post) but I kinda think the scarf is a good idea...

Show me a tarot bag that would be big enough to house the large format deck? And....you can wear it! Not the bag, the scarf lol.
I could (a) make a perfectly fine tarot bag to fit any size; (b) I have some old sandals that are in muslin drawstring bags and I could take a fabric pen and write "Tarot of Prague, Fancy Edition" on it. I only own one tarot that wouldn't fit in there.

I wouldn't wear the scarf; my daughter wouldn't wear the scarf; her partner wouldn't wear the scarf; I rather doubt DS's gf would want it either. I can't even rewrap those Tarot Triumphs or whatever they are (giant things) and they have instructions. Did I decide to put a scarf with the deck? NO!!!!

Possibly they over-produced scarves or had to take so many. If you wear scarves, that is good then. I have nothing personal against them; they don't like me.

I believe I saw the second edition sell for around what the big one and a bag would cost although I guess this is "better" in some ways.

Diana
Top   #145
Citizen

Bluefeet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
And what are the extra cards? If I remember right here was a post saying that there would be two extra cards, right?
Yes, there will be two extra cards, one has been posted so far (see attachment).

I think this is a thrilling Memento Mori allegory and suits the Prague theme very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Studio
It translates broadly as "You will be wise if you take counsel from these". Basically it means that you should learn from those who have gone before.

It's from the astonishing Mladotův dům (Mladotov House) in the Castle complex.
http://www.katedralasvatehovita.cz/...../mladotuv-dum
Attached Images

Top   #146
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpaceDiva View Post
Right. That's kind of my point. Why isn't it about the art? We are 140+ posts into a thread about 'an already loved and admired deck' which, by the way, is having every card reworked in some way, and no one has talked about a single card from this deck (correct me if I am wrong.) What cards would people like to see changed? What cards do they hope will stay the same? Why do they love this deck? What makes it special that they would love to buy it?

Aside from that, I don't really agree that the concerns about pricing are confined to this deck only, but perhaps we just see it differently.
The questions about pricing are relevant to this deck only as AFAIK it is the only deck that came out originally at a normal price, and which has shown up again only in a high-end edition.

Why isn't it about the art ? Well, mostly, I suppose, because there are a lot of people who would love to have a copy of the deck the way it came out before, and at a regular price. I haven't even looked at the new cards as I am not on facebook; I would only look if I started thinking about whether to buy it.

But what cards would I like to see changed ? I don't look at my decks that way. They were created as they were created. I don't think it's up to me to say "OK, I want you to reissue this deck I have, and I'd like this and that changed about this and that card." The ONLY time I have in any way taken that kind of line was the second BBC, when I and others were upset about a change from the first printing, and begged for the 2 swords to get her proper dress back. But that was a matter of disliking a change made. I would NOT have gone in after the first edition and said "change the dress."

If an artist puts up a picture and ASKS for input that's different.

What's special that people would like to buy it ? The images of Prague; the gentle colour palette.... The actual art work. It looks really good, IMHO. But I have it so I don't have to pontificate about that !
Top   #147
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpaceDiva View Post
Right. That's kind of my point. Why isn't it about the art? We are 140+ posts into a thread about 'an already loved and admired deck' which, by the way, is having every card reworked in some way, and no one has talked about a single card from this deck (correct me if I am wrong.)
Personally, I don't talk about the art because I have NO IDEA how the new cards look or what the changes are. How could I comment things I haven't seen? I've read that just a few cards will be changed; for most of the cards the only change is in its resolution (but I haven't seen how they look now). I haven't seen the extra cards either. Maybe other people did? Have you? Re. extra cards: once I have a full 78 cards' deck I am not very interested in the extra cards as I will not use those anyway.The original deck, for me, seems of very good quality (images, print, etc). I anticipate that this one will be too.

A 'real' talk about the art - in my view - can't be made until you actually hold the cards in your hand (too many times I've got an impression about a deck but when I actually hold it in my hands they didn't look the same - they looked better or worse as I anticipated, but not the same).
Top   #148
Citizen

ana luisa 

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (huge thread) but aside from the fact that I am not able to afford 100 dollars or more on a deck, I would not feel comfortable USING it !! I am not a collector. Everything I buy is meant to be used. A tool that will be touched, shuffled, bent. Even with the slightest of touch, decks do show wear after a while. So, no. Even if I managed to save enough for the Prague, I wouldn't have it.
Top   #149
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta 

From the Baba Studio Facebook page (my emphasis added):

There are two new extra cards in the large format deck.

ALL cards have been altered and worked on—in some cases you'll see obvious changes, in others it's been a matter of improving image resolution (it was lower back in the days...) and detail.

I think that they have been quite clear, but to be fair, lots of people don't use Facebook.
Top   #150

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.