Planet Series: The SUN & Mercury

prudence

** Mercury is behind the Sun in its zodiac position.
**** Speaking directly and plainly, a sense of self-honesty is heard.
**** Ability to assimilate one’s experiences and draw upon them.
**** Travels to/thru known areas and regions, follows well traveled paths.
**** Does well “representing” others as a spokesperson, writer, secondary leader.

** Mercury is ahead of the Sun in its zodiac position.
**** Asks lots of questions, speaks without thought at times. Can be sly in how one gathers information that one wants.
**** Looks for new experiences and opportunities, has great curiosity at times.
**** Explores new thing and regions on a whim.
**** Will talk for “effect” – just to see what an idea or a statement does relative to others.

** Mercury retrograde and within 10 to 11 degrees of the Sun.
**** Seeks to teach and share knowledge.
**** Helps to provide a basis of knowledge or a resource for others to use.
**** Points the way for others to explore, shows how to communicate effectively.

Ok, so my merc is behind my sun, (Sun-0 PIS; Merc-8 AQU), but imo, I seem to fit the description of the ahead of the sun types.(i.e. speaking without thought etc...)Perhaps this is due to other happenings in my chart.

huredriel

dadsnook2000 said:
When Mercury is AHEAD (ZODIAC POSITION) of the Sun, Mercury functions more on its own, exercising curiosity and gathering information, speaking spontaneously, imagining what “might be” rather than “what was/is.” The Sun’s purpose and direction does not influence strongly what Mercury does and the manner in which it functions. This Mercury at its most imaginative and perceptive functioning.
This is spot on for me ........ usually open mouth before engaging brain, lots of curiousity ....... especially about others ........ and brain always on the *might be's* rather than placed solidly in the present moment.

dadsnook2000 said:
**** Asks lots of questions, speaks without thought at times. Can be sly in how one gathers information that one wants.
**** Will talk for “effect” – just to see what an idea or a statement does relative to others.
Have to say that I do ALL of these things ...... although the talking for *effect* is usually when I've needed to find something out ....... so I would tie that into the first bit you put.

Not had a chance yet to concentrate on what aspects I may share with the people you listed in the chart ..... hoping to get round to that shortly!

Thanks for posting all this info Dave, much appreciated.

dadsnook2000

For Astrid O

Well you do have Mercury square Jupiter and Saturn, both of which are in opposition to each other, plus Mercury has a wide opposition to the Moon (this would make a grand cross). Lets break this down in general terms.

Jupiter opposite Saturn suggests the development of perserverance, patience, straight-forwardness, honesty (Gee, these are the same as I had noted for Mercury behind the Sun, zodiac-wise -- a repeating pattern) OR this pattern can suggest emotional tensions over compliance or social rules, or stop-go tensions relative to conflicting experiences in the past.

Throw Mercury into this mix, via a square aspect, and you have variability and uncertainty as to how to reconcile conflicting experiences or as to when to apply patience and moderation when you feel otherwise. Feelings? That brings in the Moon. Past happenings may have created associations that are in conflict with perceptions. You may be in a long-term process of re-ordering your experiences in earlier phases of life so as to suit the more mature-you of today. Is speaking out a means of testing the waters or is it due to the use of past practices that are being carried forward when they need to be changed? Are old habits getting in the way of a new you?

Its quite possible that other factors are in contrast to your Sun-Mercury predispostion and that you are in the process of making deep changes within yourself. Dave.

WhiteRaven

dadsnook2000 said:
**** Does well “representing” others as a spokesperson, writer, secondary leader.

This pretty much fits the bill except the last part. Although my Mercury is Retro at birth.

** Mercury retrograde and within 10 to 11 degrees of the Sun.
**** Seeks to teach and share knowledge.
**** Helps to provide a basis of knowledge or a resource for others to use.
**** Points the way for others to explore, shows how to communicate effectively.

Although my Mercury is a tad further in distance, this also fits the bill quite snuggly.....and also blends into the Moon Phase that I find myself in.

prudence

Thanks Dave

dadsnook2000 said:
Well you do have Mercury square Jupiter and Saturn, both of which are in opposition to each other, plus Mercury has a wide opposition to the Moon (this would make a grand cross). Lets break this down in general terms.

Jupiter opposite Saturn suggests the development of perserverance, patience, straight-forwardness, honesty (Gee, these are the same as I had noted for Mercury behind the Sun, zodiac-wise -- a repeating pattern) OR this pattern can suggest emotional tensions over compliance or social rules, or stop-go tensions relative to conflicting experiences in the past.

Throw Mercury into this mix, via a square aspect, and you have variability and uncertainty as to how to reconcile conflicting experiences or as to when to apply patience and moderation when you feel otherwise. Feelings? That brings in the Moon. Past happenings may have created associations that are in conflict with perceptions. You may be in a long-term process of re-ordering your experiences in earlier phases of life so as to suit the more mature-you of today. Is speaking out a means of testing the waters or is it due to the use of past practices that are being carried forward when they need to be changed? Are old habits getting in the way of a new you?

Its quite possible that other factors are in contrast to your Sun-Mercury predispostion and that you are in the process of making deep changes within yourself. Dave.

Well, I am straightforward, and honest, which is sort of what I meant about the speaking without a lot of thought...I have gotten into many awkward situations by being way too honest. As you mentioned, I am trying to change certain aspects of this, within myself.

I am trying to relate this behavior to past experiences, as you had mentioned, but so far am only coming up with having been the youngest of 4 daughters, in a very verbal household. Lots of verbal sparring.

I think sometimes the speaking out is "testing the waters", but sometimes, it is like a reflex to certain stimuli (a question being raised, or a comment made, after which, in knee jerk fashion, I will make a silly remark or answer the question before the teacher has chosen a student to answer it, but, invariably after this I feel like "whoops, didn't mean to say that *out loud*." Can be embarrassing at times) It's usually because I am excited about the subject being discussed.

Thanks very much for this explanation.

dadsnook2000

Well done, everyone !

We have discussed, explored and shared a lot in this Sun-relating-with-Mercury thread. We have looked at the nature of Mercury's relationship to the Sun, its orbital and astronomical differences with other planets, we have compared some of those astronomical differences that othr people share with us, we have looked at some given meanings of Mercury, and we have shared.

I'm sure that all who have followed this thread have learned things about themselves and others. This thread has allowed me to explore and solidify some thoughts about Mercury, and I have learned from this discussion. So much so that I will print it out and keep it. We may have uncovered a few things that the books don't address, so this thread is valuable to us all.

I want to thank all of those who have responed, and those who may yet choose to share and comment here. In a day or two I'll start a thread exploring the Sun and Venus relationship -- we won't discuss specific aspects or houses or signs but will focus (as we did with Mercury) on how Sun and Venus might work together. Much later, after we fully cover the Sun, we'll look at Mercury (and later Venus) in terms of aspects and workings with the planets. So, again thank. I'll continue to monitor this thread even after the next is started -- of course, if someone comes up with more to explore, then we'll continue here. Dave.

stardancer

Mercury in Libra is conjunct the ascendant, direct, 15 degrees behind the Sun, traveling about average speed, maybe a bit over.

I think I act like both ahead and behind the sun, as if I were dual in nature and am made to adapt to everything. Adapt to everything: that's me sometimes. So much so that I need to go away for long periods of time to assimilate all my collections. I have alternately tripped over my too big mouth, spoke so eloquently that I am in shock afterwards, (lol) and then have been at a total loss for words.

dadsnook2000

For WhiteRaven -- A QUESTION, AN ANSWER.

WhiteRaven had posted a question which I overlooked in terms of answering it. The question related to whether ADD or ADHD or Attention Defecit Syndrome/Disorder (many similar terms and child-hood afflictions) could be related to a Sun-Mercury pattern. I had sent him a PM and it was suggested that this question and answer be posted IN THE HOPE THAT OTHERS MIGHT BE ABLE TO COMMENT UPON THIS AND PERHAPS OFFER SOME HELP.

I overlooked your question about ADD or ADHD problems and whether they related to specific Mercury conditions. I don't think its that simple.

I would think that attention and focus problems, typical of pre-adult age groups, is more a result of other things that affect their ability and experience of organizing what they perceive, forming associative patterns between memeory and thought segments, retrieving and associating and then re-constructing feeling, memory and processing functions.

The pre-natal effects upon them due to smoking, drinking, drugs, health, stress, eating, sleeping, etc. by the mother, plus their own living experineces in dealing with stress, family, health and environmental conditions can all affect this mind-building process that is so important in young people and which continues through ones life time.

So, all that being said, I don't think we can see this in terms of a simple Mercury speed/position/relationship factor. The whole chart may point to this to some degree, and we can certainly see clues that might contribute to this (angular Moon, a stress Mercury in hard aspect to the Moon or Pluto, Mars-Saturn conflicts, etc.) Thats about the best I can do right now. Maybe something will come to the top of my mind later on this.

stardancer

To add to that, I think certain tones set in a birth chart can act either in a more positive or negative manner, depending on the environment a person grows up in.

For instance, a person with a strong Mars or Jupiter to Mercury aspect may feel a more challenging home environment cause to rise above and become better, or argue against the environment and for themselves, whereas a more reactionary person with a Saturn Mercury or Moon Mercury square might become bitter or too reactionary under the challange. Some personalities types seem better suited to certain situations.

WhiteRaven

In regards to the chart I was referring to and ADHD.....it belongs to my son.
The only aspects that he carries with Mercury are:

Opposition Mercury-Saturn, orb = 04°45'
Trine Mercury-Uranus, orb = 02°15'
Trine Mercury-Neptune, orb = 03°25'
Sextile Mercury-Pluto, orb = 03°03'

Conjunction Mercury-Nth Node, orb = 09°35'
Opposition Mercury-Sth Node, orb = 09°35'

Generally, I would say these are all good aspects.....(I think..)

This is why I thought that perhaps the speed would have something to do with it. But, I am in agreement with Dave in regards to environment and upbringing etc...that do have effects. When in a structured environment, the ADHD can be somewhat contained.....although the medication plays a very important role as well. Without medication, these children are basically spinning.....and I have to think when I'm Hyper....what I feel inside...which isn't "good".

Anyways, Thank you Dave for addressing my question. :)