Sabian Symbols

Azarial

I have the sabian symbols for my birth chart. Now my question is, how do I interpret the meanings of the sabian symbols?

Sabian Symbol for the Sun:
A BRIDGE BEING BUILT ACROSS A GORGE. (6º Taurus)

Sabian Symbol for the Moon:
A CHILD AND A DOG WEARING BORROWED EYEGLASSES. (21º Sagittarius)

Sabian Symbol for Mercury:
AN INDIAN WEAVING A BLANKET. (15º Aries)

Sabian Symbol for Venus:
TWO COBBLERS WORKING AT A TABLE. (29º Taurus)

Sabian Symbol for Mars:
THE CONSTELLATIONS OF STARS IN THE SKY. (7º Leo)

Sabian Symbol for Jupiter:
AN ARCTIC EXPLORER LEADS A REINDEER THROUGH ICY CANYONS. (3º Cancer)

Sabian Symbol for Saturn:
TOTALLY CONCENTRATED UPON INNER SPIRITUAL ATTAINMENT, A MAN IS SITTING IN A STATE OF COMPLETE NEGLECT OF HIS BODY. (24º Leo)

Sabian Symbol for Uranus:
CHILDREN PLAYING AROUND FIVE MOUNDS OF SAND. (15º Scorpio)

Sabian Symbol for Neptune:
TINY CHILDREN IN SUNBONNETS. (18º Sagittarius)

Sabian Symbol for Pluto:
CIRCULAR PATHS. (15º Libra)

Sabian Symbol for the North Node:
A MAN WATCHES HIS IDEALS TAKING A CONCRETE FORM BEFORE HIS INNER VISION. (6º Libra)

Sabian Symbol for the South Node:
A SQUARE BRIGHTLY LIGHTED ON ONE SIDE. (6º Aries)

Sabian Symbol for the Ascendant:
A CLEAR MOUNTAIN STREAM. (1º Taurus)

Sabian Symbol for the Midheaven:
IN A HOSPITAL, THE CHILDREN'S WARD IS FILLED WITH TOYS. (15º Capricorn)

purple_scorp

Hi Azarial,

I assume you got this information from here? These are Lynda Hill's interpretations of the sabian symbols and she has written a book that explains each one of the degrees in detail. Actually, there's a study group here in the Oracle section too.

She also has a website where you can do a single reading. By doing these single readings, maybe you might be lucky enough to stumble across some of the interpretations for your natal chart....which may take some time, as there are 360 symbols in all. Oh, and the book has much more information than what the single reading displays. It is a very interesting book, you should look into buying a copy. I bought mine for AU$15 off ebay.

with love
purple_scorp

Indigo Rose

purple_scorp said:
She also has a website where you can do a single reading. By doing these single readings, maybe you might be lucky enough to stumble across some of the interpretations for your natal chart....which may take some time, as there are 360 symbols in all.

I just started studying these Sabian Symbols; prompted by Dadsnook current Astro thread and Sophie's description of her symbols. In my search, I found this thread. I decided to follow purple scorps weblink and here is what I got:

ARIES 27
THROUGH IMAGINATION, A LOST OPPORTUNITY IS REGAINED

Use your inner creative energy to revitalize an idea or opportunity that seems lost. You need to believe that it is possible and create a new image in your mind, then you will succeed. Take heart, there is the energy to recapture something that seemed to be lost.

Creative imagination and visualization. Hope renewed. Second chances.

The Caution: Relying on self pity which denies using the imagination to recover the situation. Not noticing the solutions to problems. Going over and over lost opportunities.

An Affirmation for this degree:

There are no lost opportunities in Divine Mind, as one door shuts another door is opened.

Florence Scovel Shinn

I then went to Astro.com to look at my Progressed Chart. Wow!! I am currently Sun Progressed to Aries 27 degrees! :bugeyed: WOW!!! That is amazing accuracy! Thanks for the link Purple Scorp.

~:heart:~

MCsea

HI Azarial,

This is a rough idea of how I start when I am looking at sabian symbols I first plot out the planet and what it means in regard to the sabian symbol - a very rough guide is -

YOUR NORTH NODE - YOUR SOUTH NODE = LIFE PATH SYMBOLS
SUN YOUR POWERHOUSE AND LUCKY SYMBOL
KARMIC CONDITION OF YOUR SUN HINTS TO EMPOWER YOURSELF
THE MOON THE MOON SYMBOL
MERCURY YOUR COMMUNICATION SYMBOL
VENUS THE SYMBOL THAT EXPRESSES HOW WE LOVE AND ACCEPT LOVE
MARS HOW WE USE ENERGY AND MOTIVATION
JUPITER OUR PERSONAL LUCK AND ABUNDANCE TOOL OFTEN HINTS AT YOUR CAREER PATH TOO
SATURN A SYMBOL TO UNDERSTAND KARMIC LESSONS IN THIS LIFE
URANUS THE UNEXPECTED GIFTS AND TALENTS
NEPTUNE SPECIFIC PSYCHIC - SPIRITUAL TALENTS AND DREAMS FOR THIS LIFE
PLUTO HOW TRANSFORMATION AFFECTS YOU
CHIRON HOW TO HEAL YOUR LIFE AND HELP OTHERS HEAL

Then I physically look in my life where and how these symbols pop up and I make a note of them - if usually they are positive experiences or not, or if I woudl like these 'images' in my life or not

I also look at the aspects and houses to see if the symbols sit harmonously or not (also if they are retrograde)

I also look at my family as many people as I can to see what family sabian symbols come up and how they fit in to real life - and or my spiritual life (arctypes/beleif systems etc).

I sort of formulate a paragraph or table for each symbol then have a look at how relevant it is - or what it may be mirroring for me.

I hope you find more details of potential interpretations on the oracle section..

MARINA

Indigo Rose

MCsea said:
I also look at the aspects and houses to see if the symbols sit harmonously or not (also if they are retrograde)

Marina,
Would it be appropriate to look at house rulers for corresponding Sabian Symbols, and compare/contrast those to the symbols for specific planetary placements?

huredriel

Azarial, have you round the degrees up that you posted? If your Merc is at 15 Aries, then your actual sabian symbol will be the one after? If it's 14 something, then it's Aries 15. Perhaps have a look at the study group and see if anything that's been posted strikes a chord intuitively with that particular planet's meaning?

Indigo Rose

huredriel said:
Azarial, have you round the degrees up that you posted? If your Merc is at 15 Aries, then your actual sabian symbol will be the one after? If it's 14 something, then it's Aries 15. Perhaps have a look at the study group and see if anything that's been posted strikes a chord intuitively with that particular planet's meaning?

:confused: I don't understand how this works. My natal Mercury is Aries 4.19 degrees. Would this mean I read the Aries 4 or Aries 5?

I tried looking it up in the Oracle Section, but it wasn't clear to me which one to look at.

Sophie

don't forget the karmic and quest symbols

I also find it very useful to look at the Karmic and Quest symbols for each of my natal planets, asteroids and points, which give me some perspective and movement.

So for example, take my natal Venus, which is at Aries 9°11', in the 11th House.

- The Sabian Symbol is Aries 10: A teacher gives new symbolic forms to traditional meanings.

- The Karmic symbol is Aries 9: A seer gazes intently into a crystal ball before him.

- And the Quest Symbol is Aries 11: The president of the republic, or the ruler of ones country.

This makes me think that what I bring to my love relationships from "before" (karmic symbol) is a need to understand its spiritual and inner meaning, to divine love - but that results in a distancing and a failure fully to experience love. I see certain traces of that in myself.

The actual Symbol shows that my relationships tend to be both traditional (female-male, monogamous), but lived out in novel ways. I certainly have seen that played out in my life.

The Quest symbol, what I am tending towards and what my soul desires in the realm of relationships in this life shows that I am learning to be more self-sufficient, less dependent or depended on, within relationships (this, btw, ties in very much with my exploration of my nodes, as discussed with Indigo Rose, who has the same nodes as me, on the nodal axis thread).

And since Venus is in the 11th House, it also means that my relationships will play out in relation to a group - either within or without a group - and that I will meet my partner(s) within a group (this has generally been the case). It also means that my love relationships are tinted with a great deal of idealism, and that I get on best romantically with men who share my ideals. That is definitely the case.

Sophie

Indigo Rose said:
:confused: I don't understand how this works. My natal Mercury is Aries 4.19 degrees. Would this mean I read the Aries 4 or Aries 5?

I tried looking it up in the Oracle Section, but it wasn't clear to me which one to look at.
Aries 5: A white triangle is seen; it has golden wings. This suggests that your natural way of expressing yourself tends towards the spiritual and elevated, and that you seek to understand things from a spiritual and elevated perspective.

But you would also look at Aries 4, which gives you the Karmic Symbol for your Aries placement, and Aries 6, which gives you the Quest Symbol. For the full explanation of what Karmic and Quest symbols mean in relation to the main symbol, see the Sabian Symbols section.

Indigo Rose

Fudugazi said:
Aries 5: A white triangle is seen; it has golden wings.

But you would also look at Aries 4, which gives you the Karmic Symbol for your Aries placement, and Aries 6, which gives you the Quest Symbol. For the full explanation of what Karmic and Quest symbols mean in relation to the main symbol, see the Sabian Symbols section.

Thanks Sophie. :) I am going to check that section out.