The Jean Dodal deck: High resolution scans

eltarot78

I keep hearing, working and leaving more prolix.

I read them carefully and I appreciate all your opinions.

uwe

I also prefer the 'shadowed' card. It gives the illusion of antiquity, something i am very fond of.

eltarot78

Hi Greg, thanks to your observation La Force regain its strength and looks better in the group of 22.

About the shadows, and discarded that idea, observed over a looooong time with a good friend, came to the conclusion that look as if we were in a tavern in Lyon in 1701, at night and the candlelight, the matrix had not hurt anything with the cards neat and clean as it should have been the TRUE first edition.

Yves Le Marseillais

Light me a candle...

eltarot78 said:
Hi Greg, thanks to your observation La Force regain its strength and looks better in the group of 22.

About the shadows, and discarded that idea, observed over a looooong time with a good friend, came to the conclusion that look as if we were in a tavern in Lyon in 1701, at night and the candlelight, the matrix had not hurt anything with the cards neat and clean as it should have been the TRUE first edition.

Ola ElTarot,

So, if I understood you well it means that you finaly have decided to NOT add shadows ?

If it's yes, so...:

You know what happy taxers ? : I am Happy :)

Droopy Yves

Moonbow

Although I'm late, the decision seems to have been made, I would like to say that I'm a 'no shadows' voter. It doesn't seem necessary, the card is fine without adding extra implications to it, and I don't believe the original card makers were accurate enough to have chosen the shadows. So good decision eltarot78.

conversus

Also late to this particular discussion, I prefer fewer shadows. I'm not convinced that the original stencils were designed to convey shadows, i think that they were, more often than not, simply poorly cut or misapplied to the card sheet.

I am not interested in an antique image, especially a shoddy down-market image. I would like to be able to handle (and afford) a clear rendering of what the image might have been, to see what they may have seen.

On a side note I would hope that the pances stole might be revisited. Another example of where the stenciling may have been shoddy. . .

CED

eltarot78

Droopy Yves, I am glad that the election put him happy.

Conversus not have to pay for a stencil, here I put the images of Dodal Flornoy (I hope Jean-Claude do not mind), the BNF, British Museum and mine.

The letters in the last 3 cases, observed that the typeface is rather ugly, but not receiving such complaints, would Juanito Dodal with whom you should complain, hehe.

It was always the doubt whether La Pances has a mole or was just a stain, as seen in BnF and BM, the mole is.

Moonbow

eltarot, this is a really good rendition of the Dodal that you are doing, and its great to see all the versions of one card together like that. They can be made larger by clicking on the image too.

I like the letter type, and the mole!

eltarot78

The mole (mole=lunar/luna=moon) accentuate the significance of this image, at least in spanish.

Yves Le Marseillais

Mole and other stuffs

Hello ElTarot,

I do like also your sense of details.

The mole is a possibility and of course it is very difficult to clarify this matter plus other details such as 2 cross on his belly and so on.
Even a magnifing glass in hand and seeing an ORIGINAL (what made Jean Claude Flornoy in BnF original) still question about this specific points.

Not everybody is able to see Originals (Paris Argentina is not a cheap price ticket) but an Artist with good insights and passion can achieve the job and propose a new version.

I do appreciate your work and your spirit and keep on crossing fingers about paper quality and reproduction problems that only could block and or give limits to this huge task.

Hurry on Amigo !!

Yves Lo Marseillos