The Jean Dodal deck: High resolution scans

Rafaël

shadows or not...

Hello All,

Let me say first that the more restaurated cards I see comming from Argentina, the more I like them! Especially the variation in the thickness of the lines. That makes the images much more alive and interesting!! Bravo!

Last week I was talking Tarot with a friend who didn't know the Dodal yet. One of the first things she noticed was the kind of 3D effect one can see in the minors:

DusserreDodalXsmall.jpg

For me these shades really add a lot to the cards. Without the shades the images are very 'flat', less 'real', less alive...
When inclinating the card, like above, one can see a perspective drawing. From a technical point of view it's clear they have been added on purpose.

'Cleaning up' the old images is of course very usefull. I'm 100% pro. But it would be a mistake to clean them up too much...

This been said I'm fully aware making choices like this is a tough job.

Rafaël

Moonbow

Great post Rafaël! I can see the 3D effect both in your image and the cards themselves.

To me, the Ten Batons card shows the yellows to be closer than the reds, I wonder if that is more because of the colours used than the shading, an artist would probably know this. I imagine the age of the original cards would give some shading to the colours, and the design of the batons particularly lends to the 3D effect. I always like to see something new in these cards and this is enlightening!

Yves Le Marseillais

3D effect and Paper quality

Hello Rafael and ElTarot,

I appreciate Rafael remarks and also appreciate any 3 D effect on cards.

Rather on shadows, I would suggest to obtain some 3 D effect and more textured effect (relief effect I don't remenber this word in english sorry: Relief = ???), to play with paper quality:

A Textured heavy weight paper such as Canon Museum Etching (a mat paper really textured of 380 g/M2). Made in Germany by Hannehmulle company for Canon (but they also sell to other Printer Marks).

This paper is no a two printing sides paper so, for backs it need to glue on it another paper.

I know that some papers are two printing sides dedicated but not of such a quality as far as I know.

Of course I talk about a process that means use of computer, printing machine (ink jet technology for exemple or pigmented inks) and not Offset system.

But professionnal printers knows much more than me about this technoicals matters.

As I said before on another thread I think, a restored deck must be made with very good paper and process.

Or, it's a lack of energy and creativity for a poor result.

Would you appreciate a Mona Lisa Portrait in Plastic Poster ? Of course not.

Take courage anyway

Yves

Bernice

Thank you for posting that image Rafael. Good to see an example of why thick & thin lines may have been in the originals. 3D!

Bee :)

eltarot78

Hello everyone, I'm red with shame, I am humble and modest and I can not describe my joy at his words, this project fills me with pride, was a very nice morning for me.

I tell them that since I set off to the editing aside "a little, just a little" the minors so excited and love that I have.

So far had proved in laser printing "cheaper" for testing color calibration and polishing lines, and I'm testing with different inkjet prints up to find the really want.

About the 3D, if the TDM Dodal especially characterized by this peculiarity.

See Le Batelevr wand as the tip is of a different thickness, giving perspective and the desired effect.

I leave this picture to use as an eyewash, just 2 drops in each eye, no more, besides the doubling would hate letters to understand what really Dodal stamped.

I believe that openness is necessary on our part to get closer and see that dimensionality in these prints in 2d to 3d.

And let this image so they can print at home, so the colors are calibrated, gave them a textured effect, seeing that I can hardly give a textured paper and so I approach the desired effect.
do not touch anything, just download and printing, colors and size and are calibrated

Now, these days I am warning you when this first special issue list for all eagers.

Sorry if my english loses meaning, perhaps something is lost when using the google translat.

Greetings

Pablo

SolSionnach

eltarot78 said:
Now, these days I am warning you when this first special issue list for all eagers.
Hi eltarot,
This sentence doesn't make that much sense to me, but are you saying that you're almost ready to take pre-orders?

If so, sign me up! :D

re: rafael - wow wow wow. The 3D effect is so strong! I'll have to get out my Dodal and have a look at it more closely. Thanks for pointing that out.

SolSionnach

Moonbow* said:
Great post Rafaël! I can see the 3D effect both in your image and the cards themselves.

To me, the Ten Batons card shows the yellows to be closer than the reds
Which is crazy, of course - because red "advances"... unless yellow "advances" more. How did they do that? Amazing.

eltarot78

Hello SolSionnach, you fortunate that despite my ugly English could understand me.
Already included in the list ;

Yves Le Marseillais

Put Me On Your List Amigo !!

eltarot78 said:
Hello SolSionnach, you fortunate that despite my ugly English could understand me.
Already included in the list ;

Ola ElTarot,

I hope you listed me too.

Of course...

yves LM

Bernice

ElTarot! I do hope you've got me on your list. If not, please add my name :)

Bee :)