The Alchemical Tarot: Renewed Four

Lee

I received my deck/book today. The book looks great and I'm looking forward to reading it. The deck is lovely, but I have to say that my personal preference is for the earlier editions. The Fourth Edition is much more monochrome, very beige-y. I like the earlier decks' brighter colors, I find them more pleasing to the eye and it helps the designs to stand out. Unfortunately the earlier editions don't seem to be available anymore. Fortunately I have a Renewed first edition.

Le Fanu

Phew! thanks for that, Lee. I have all the earlier editions (and two copies of the 2nd as it's the one I use the most). I couldn't be bothered getting round to buying this one - I adore all his stuff but it felt like one edition too many. And I too like the piercing brightness and the sharpness of his line drawings, so haven't felt the urge for a faded version. Now it's easier to justify!

Nemia

I have the book already - is there an updated edition? is it necessary to purchase a new edition for the new deck?

The book is great and I wait until my finances have recovered a bit... then I want to treat myself to the Alchemical and Sevenfold. I just can't decide which I want ;-)

Lee

Phew! thanks for that, Lee. I have all the earlier editions (and two copies of the 2nd as it's the one I use the most). I couldn't be bothered getting round to buying this one - I adore all his stuff but it felt like one edition too many. And I too like the piercing brightness and the sharpness of his line drawings, so haven't felt the urge for a faded version. Now it's easier to justify!
I agree! I think it makes for a nice alternative for collectors or for those who prefer that color scheme, but I don't view it as an essential version that replaces the earlier editions in importance.
I have the book already - is there an updated edition? is it necessary to purchase a new edition for the new deck?
Hi Nemia, as far as I can tell from the copyright page, it's the same edition from 2011, so I don't think it's been updated.

agviz

...The deck is lovely, but I have to say that my personal preference is for the earlier editions. The Fourth Edition is much more monochrome, very beige-y. I like the earlier decks' brighter colors, I find them more pleasing to the eye and it helps the designs to stand out...

Lee, how do you feel about the white border? Does it feel natural considering the artwork has an aged look?

Rhinemaiden

The Alchemical 3rd edition has been my goto daily use deck since its publication... the white borders aren't a problem (possibly because I'm used to them) and seem to open up the illustrations rather than confining them. I see no difference in that respect with borders on the newest (4th) edition.

I've refrained from buying the 4th edition because I like the vibrant colors in the 3rd edition and am not a fan of the washed out look and/or artificial aging.

However, I applaud Robert Place for making this popular deck once again available in a revised editon for a new legion of fans who may have missed it in the past.

swedishfish612

Mine is here! Here are my very, very initial impressions. I've looked through the deck twice, haven't ever owned any other copy/version of it, and I haven't even taken the plastic wrap off of the book yet.

- It's gorgeous. I think the antique/aging effect is lovely. The combination of the antiquing and the white borders doesn't bother me.

- That said, I think I really want another, non-antiqued version as well. As lovely as this is, I feel like seeing the deck in full, vivid color would be even better. However, had I gotten a different version first, I probably would've still wanted this one as well. I do think, though, that I will like a more colorful version more than this one.

- I love the backs. I mean, I really love the backs. They're fantastic.

- I'm just thrilled to own this deck, in any edition.

Is anyone still really wanting to see a few snapshots? I'll try to take one tonight but I'm rushing around trying to get my kids fed and ready to go off to my folks' place because I have book club tonight!

agviz

...Is anyone still really wanting to see a few snapshots? I'll try to take one tonight but I'm rushing around trying to get my kids fed and ready to go off to my folks' place because I have book club tonight!

I'd still like to see a shot or two, but please don't rush it if you're busy. Actually I'd rather wait until you have the chance to get them with good lighting so it'll help me evaluate those borders I'm wondering about. Thanks in advance!

swedishfish612

I'd still like to see a shot or two, but please don't rush it if you're busy. Actually I'd rather wait until you have the chance to get them with good lighting so it'll help me evaluate those borders I'm wondering about. Thanks in advance!

Okay, I'll take them tomorrow in daylight then. We're about to have some storms here...it's been ominous all day long!

agviz

Okay, I'll take them tomorrow in daylight then. We're about to have some storms here...it's been ominous all day long!

Thanks for that!

I wonder if that's some of the same storm we just had up here? Sorry to pass it along. :(