Cat's Eye Tarot VS. Mystical Cats Tarot?

Madrigal

I've got several feline-themed decks but CE isn't one I was drawn to. MC is great as is Pagan Cats, love that one. I like to pair them up and read from both. They do talk to each other!

Citrin

Phew the Pagan Cats one IS nice, but I cannot stand multi-language borders so that one doesn't go on the ever growing wishlist. :D

Yelell

Just seeing the scans and reading the reviews, the mystical cats looks to be borderless with reversible backs, and the cat's eye does not .... if those are things you prefer.

Lareia

Just seeing the scans and reading the reviews, the mystical cats looks to be borderless with reversible backs, and the cat's eye does not .... if those are things you prefer.

Yeah, MC is borderless and reversible.

WolfSpirit

I have both decks :)
Why do you only want one cat deck? If you don't want too many decks, you can always get rid of a human deck ;)

I love the Cat's Eye Tarot because the artwork is so beautiful; because I followed the creation of the deck, and feared it would never be finished when the artist left a long time between the creation of two cards.
So, I was happy when it was finished, bought the deck, admired it...but have not used it much for readings. It almost looks like it is too natural for me, it is like looking outside and watch the cats do their cat-things.
But - for someone else, that may be a reason why this deck reads easily.

I got the Mystical Cats Tarot for my birthday and I love it, I love the companion book and the sense of humor the deck has. I use this deck for readings but it is not my main deck.

Lunaea

You need both!

Okay, I'm a bit biased, so of course I want you to get Mystical Cats. But here's why you need both! As others have said, Cat's Eye is very real-world, with the cats in a human environment, sometimes interacting with people. It's cats as we see them, and it's a beautiful deck, made by someone who knows and loves cats.

When I set out to make a new cat tarot, I steered in a different direction ... sort of. The Mystical Cats Tarot shows you the cat's inner world, a world as imagined by cats. It's their own world, and there are no people in the deck, just cats (and a few other creatures). The book is in first "purrson" -- narrated by the cat. The cats are in four clans (Earth, Sea, Sky, Fire), each with their own culture and temperament, and the majors are the Cat Mysteries, the essence of what it means to be feline.

The settings for the cards are a magical place that Mickie Mueller (the artist) and I called the Cat Planet as we were working on it. BUT ... for all the mystical and magical in this deck, all of the cats are real cats, doing only things that real cats can actually do. (With one exception -- the levitating Floating Cat, and for all we know cats levitate all the time when we aren't looking.) That was really important to me and to Mickie. Both of us have cats and understand and love them, which I hope comes through -- our own cats (past and present) and friends' cats served as models for some of the cards.

So! You need both decks -- one for the outer life of the everyday cat, and one for the mystical world of the cat's imagination!

(And yes, the box is awful, though pretty. Go to Etsy and look for Mystical Cats Tarot. Mickie offers gorgeous bags with images from the cards, alone or as a set with the deck.)

Citrin

Okay okay, WolfSpirit and Lunaea, you've sold me! ;) I'm getting them both, both going on that eeever growing wishlist lol!

Lunaea thank you so much for explaining the differences. :) I can totally see what you mean by the cats' outer world and their inner world, it makes a lot of sense. I am SOO in love with the Temperance card from the Cat's Eye, but I am at the same time really loving that Mystical Cats have a couple of more tortoise/calico cats which I am obsessed with... ;) Hehe.

I can imagine doing daily draws with both of these (with my cat by my side of course!). :) Not sure I'd use them in bigger spreads or reading for others, but a daily dose of cat tarot seems to make a lot of sense for this crazy cat lady.

Thanks again, really appreciated the comments, folks :)

Lunaea

I can imagine doing daily draws with both of these (with my cat by my side of course!). :) Not sure I'd use them in bigger spreads or reading for others, but a daily dose of cat tarot seems to make a lot of sense for this crazy cat lady.

There are some original spreads in the MCT book that you may enjoy. And be sure to check out Mickie's sketchbook in the back! :)

Achlys

For me, the best cat deck I've ever used was the Black Cats Tarot. Truthfully I like it much more than either deck.
But if you have to choose between the two, I'd get the mystical cats