Richard Pickman Tarot

214red

i just posted in the part of the forum, but since your creating a new deck i thought i would raise the question here.

will your deck be ethnically diverse?

Nik

HOLMES

hmm

I think the vampire chick, or the guardian is the colouring type I would like to see on your tarot cards.

the opener of the way looks cools, that would be the threshold guardian that one in certain beliefs must beat to be able to leave their body astrally in the effort to control it and do it at will ?

personally it is hard to find an ethinically diverse tarot,, that is why you see theme tarot like the new orleans tarot, the native american tarot.

the closest i saw for the ethnically diverse tarot who wants it all in one tarot is the ancestral path tarot.

The 78th Fool

Richard,

These sketches are fantastic and judging by the standard of your other artwork, the finished deck will be something very special. Having illustrated five tarot decks to date, the only thing I would say is just aim to create the kind of deck you would most like to read with yourself. Feedback and constructive criticism from others are important but ultimately, the most powerful tarot images are the ones created with love and enthusiasm by an artist who totally believes in what they are painting.
I'll look forward to watching these take shape!

Chris. xx

rassillonn

Looks good so far! I love the facial expressions on all of the cards.
Personally, I would have had the woman's eyes closed in the 2 of Swords - I'm so used to her being sightless that it looks a little odd to me. That isn't meant as a criticism, however - it's purely me!
The Hanged Man looks great, and I'm intrigued by the echo/reference to the Magician in the way that his arms are held.

Good luck, and I wish you well on your journey of creation!

Richard Pickman

New card

I just posted a new sketch, for the Two of Cups. If you would like to see it, here is a link:

Two of Cups

HOLMES

i just have to say

god damn that is good, :).

and it is just a sketch,, can you describe to me what it would take to finish ,, like how much work in general so i can get a mental idea of how much it could improve ?

Seafra

Your 2 of Cups seems to ease out the idea of friendship into a more physical emot. oooo Beautiful, but misses the mark for me. Those two are working with some connection! oooo

Richard Pickman

HOLMES said:
god damn that is good, :).

and it is just a sketch,, can you describe to me what it would take to finish ,, like how much work in general so i can get a mental idea of how much it could improve ?

Firstly, thank you! Regarding how long it would take to produce finished art would depend a great deal on the style, technique, and materials used. One would hope that the finished art would be an improvement over the sketches! LOL!! Seriously, I would guess that it could take anywhere between ten and thirty hours per card; again, depending on a number of factors yet to be determined.

I really don't yet know how I would produce the finished art. I'm not really worried about it yet. Right now, I'm just looking to keep drawing, and am really just taking the cards as they present themselves to me. In other words, I don't have much of a plan. I'm just doing whatever I feel like at the moment.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

RP

rwcarter

I can see so many different things in that 2C!

My first thought was "Who's going to poison whom?"

Then I thought about enemies who become lovers. My absolute favorite quote on this subject comes from Palmer Courtland from All My Children back in the 80's when it was discovered that he was having an affair with his ex-wife who he supposedly couldn't stand - "Love and hate are similar (with the wave of the hand) emotions...."

Then with the mood of the card, I thought of a clandestine meeting between lovers (assignation - that's one of my favorite words in the English language). But is it more of a Romeo and Juliet type of assignation or is one (or both!) of them married and cheating on their spouse(s)?

Is she reaching up to caress his chin or is she about to slap the snot out of him?

I love multi-layered cards like this that I can pull multiple meanings out of without even needing the context of a question or a spread.

So, you plan on having these done, printed and available for purchase by the end of the year, right? :laugh:

Rodney

HOLMES

Richard Pickman said:

eheh just wanted to share i did a double take for i thought it said rip eheh.
yeah you are welcome i am a big fan of your sketches , and really want to see a finished product :)