For Tarot Deck Creators - What is tarot?

Gypsyspell

Tarot creation

Hi, I received a very unusual reading , the reader had created her own cards from magazine cut outs and collages. Her method was to have me collect 10
cards she then placed in a spread.
The reading was really directed as questions to me eg -"what does this card mean to you" etc.
This lady also worked as a counselor/psychologist. and we worked together to create the reading . It was an interesting trip! worth the journey,really helping me consider my own situation. This experience changed my perception to me believing more in the benefits of reading as a tool for self discovery, and a bit less in the nature of divination.
Since then i have considered workshops for making cards ,for those who are less adept at Art ,less able to buy cards ,and also for children, young adults wishing to personalise their learning experience.
What do you think anyone???
Gypsyspell

Pamela

The Tarot: journey of evolutionary consciousness

The tarot is a roadmap to the evolutionary journey of consciousness. Of course the map is not the territory so everyone's journey will be different but the path is well traveled and those before us left the Tarot as a means of guiding us inwards to understand ourselves and the divine better. Because only by going inward can we understand the purpose and meaning of our lives. Another way to describe the Tarot: is it is a mirror of us through the eyes of the Divine.

shiresun

What Is Tarot?

I am new here; new to Tarot from the POV of someone who has more than not been on the outside looking in. I am not new to my awareness of actively being on a journey, however. So at this point, to answer the question, 'What is Tarot?' I would say it is one path at a fork in the road which I have chosen to travel. It is an adventure. It is a tool, no doubt about that, which I feel will provide me with a great deal of inspiration, but also will be a catalyst for re-awakening my creativity. Perhaps the most important, as with all things with which we come into contact, it is a companion, a well from which to drink, with hopes it can become a full feast upon which to sup.

As I begin this leg of my journey, I know that, as I change, and grow, so too will my idea of what Tarot is change.

Peace,

Shire

Major Tom

Thanks for reviving this discussion shiresun. :)

shiresun said:
'What is Tarot?' I would say it is one path at a fork in the road which I have chosen to travel. It is an adventure. It is a tool, no doubt about that, which I feel will provide me with a great deal of inspiration, but also will be a catalyst for re-awakening my creativity. Perhaps the most important, as with all things with which we come into contact, it is a companion, a well from which to drink, with hopes it can become a full feast upon which to sup.

Thanks for this I really like your description.

Maybe we can convince others to add their thoughts.

shiresun

You're welcome Major Tom. :)

I think that the question is relevant not only to those contemplating creating their own decks, but to anyone who is involved from any position, whether simply a querient or to one who uses Tarot daily either for a spiritual journey, or to help guide others from a professional pov.

I think it is also one of those questions whose answer changes as our experience with Tarot evolves. It's always good to reassess aspects of our lives as the journey continues.

Shire

FaireMaiden

For me, tarot is the map of the self ascending. As well, it is the road whereby the Self descends to assist us on our way. It accomplishes this task thru the use of symbols. As such, every card is an 'X marks the spot'... for it reveals the transmission from the Self to the self, and requires the self to everlastingly engage its apparatus to receive. In short, the tarot is a tuning fork constantly eliciting from us a response to virtue.