Eclectic World Deck

Sophie

I think it is appropriate, Tauriosiris - the Tower is a raw card, which should not be watered down. What's particularly appropriate is that New York is THE epitome of the multi-multural city and dozens of races and nationalities died in those towers: and that's what shock and breakdown does - we are all equal in such a moment.

Mythos - I like your Empress! And indeed the two other cards, particularly the thoughful modern young women of the three of Earth.

Alex: I think your choice of early figures of Islam for the suit of Swords is fantastic - Islam being so associated with law, with "revealed truth" - and with swords. I'm like you, I find Rachel Pollack's variation on the courts refreshing.

Cerulean, a lovely maiden - I'd like to see her in bigger size :)

Noby - I'm like Mythos, I love Andre 3000 as a Magician - it fits so well. Good rappers are magicians...Which one of these images would you choose? Or would you make a collage/composite?

Simone - your Japanese drummer rocks! I can feel the energy lifting up from the card!

Oh this is fun!!Thanks Ankou for getting it started :) I find your Fool very moving.

Ankou

Whoa...

Tauriosiris: While I agree in a sence with Helvetica, being from DC, that hurt a little to look at first thing in the morning. The tower is about truth and lies, which corporate american symbols definately embody, and NY is definately as mixed a bag of peoples as you can get. But I think that card should have it's own thread, because it's definately gonna create some controversy. There were real people jumping out of that tower, and a lot of us barely missed or lost some one there. Um... yeah I think that one might need it's own thread, it's worthy of the discution it will certainly start.

Cerilean: I love her, she's very soft and iconic, but I too would love a bigger image ;)

Mythos: I didn't say so before, but all three of you cards are awsome. And I loved seeing your work here. I'll have to dig through the search function and see if you've been hiding here all a long...})

Love and Light,

Ankou

Arcana

This deck is coming along wonderfully! Tauriosis - I agree with your choice for the Tower. But I also agree with Ankou that it is controversial, it may be a too painful image for a lot of people.

I wasn't actually going to at first, but I would love to participate in this wonderful project. I have an idea for The Hanged Man, but I'm not sure how people will react. Would there be any objections to Jesus' crusifixion for this card? (Not terribly original, I'm afraid...) I am not a christian, but it is a very powerful symbol in western civilization. I have been looking for a painting that portrays Jesus on the cross - not suffering, but serene.

http://www.storyboardtoys.com/gallery/crucifixion.jpg

Like it says on this site, the picture shows Jesus "triumphing over pain, despair, and humiliation". According to this site, the painting is untitled and uncredited in The Illustrated History of World Religions.

Ankou

You know Arcana, I was saying to myself, no I just don't think so, but then I looked at the piture link. The image you've picked is astounding! So much more about enlightenment than suffering. Truely representitive of the card, and beautiful to boot. I love the flowers drapped on the cross, it's like the image is about his death and ressurection all at the same time. And the light of enlightenment radiating from him... cool...

So glad you decided to play!

Love and Light,

Ankou

Tauriosiris

Arcana, thankyou for your comment. Ankou, I agree that my choice is a rather controversial one. I just hope that people can look past the image and see the meaning, that it does symbolise the breakdown of structure and lies, and enables us to look forward to something better... however painful that may be.

Arcana, I don't personally have a problem with using Jesus as The Hanged Man. Afterall, we're creating a deck to symbolise the whole of the people of Earth... a reference to Christian and Western civilisation should be included too. And the Hanged Man does represent sacrifice and selflessness (as well as enlightenment attained when you do so), isn't that what Jesus was supposed to have done for us?

Ankou

I'm gonna be late for work if I don't leave already, but I wanted to get an image in :D This is the raw photo for a montage Strength card. I took the pic of two friends who were hanging out last night...

Love and Light,

Ankou

Attachments

• strength sm.JPG
    strength sm.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 94

Arcana

Ankou, I'm so glad you like the picture! I wouldn't have chosen one that showed Jesus as he is so often portrayed... Where it's all about suffering and the essence of his teachings seems so completely lost. Tauriosis - thank you for your comment. Your words reflect my ideas perfectly!

mythos

TauriosirisThe Tower - confronting - yes, painful - yes ... appropriate - yes. Yes real people suffered and died ... real people continue to suffer ... the world has changed in ways that are so great that pre 9/11 thinking is inconceivable, and thus this card is truly a Tower experience.

Arcana Jesus as the Hanged Man - I am not a Christian either ..... but I was deeply moved by the choice of this image. It does indeed carry the image of archetypal sacrifice and surrender which was one of choice, and was presumably intended for the greater good, regardless of how that has been interpreted since by the Chruch, by cultic groups and so on. It reminds us of the implicit purity of His act.

Cerulean, Having terrible eyesight makes your damsel difficult to see. She seems to have a very dreamy moonlight quality too her ... is it possible to enlarge her, without loosing detail?

Great idea Ankou.

mythos:)

AlexTM

Nice cards so far. I wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the tower: While I do agree it is a great image for the idea of the card, I think it could hurt people who were there or were directly connected too much like this. However, what about modifying the image? So that it is still clear what is shown, but less likely to immediately trigger memories.
Unfortunately, I am not exactly an artist, so I don't know whether I am expressing myself clearly, or whether that can be done, but I think it is an idea.

Greetings from Cologne,
Alex

P.S. Toyed a bit around with my PaintShop - nothing grand, but that is what I had in mind, approximately:
url]