Spoonbender's Tarot

MrsOnePotato

spoonbender said:
I wanted to keep the christian angle to the Pope/Hierophant/Priest card (indicated by the crozier and the ichthus), but at the same time I wanted to show him as a kind and progressive man, as someone who would welcome women in the church, would marry gays and lesbians, and so on.

Hi Spoonbender,
I love the new additions!
And your priest card is very kind and inviting, as you had intended. Sounds like you are describing a Unitarian minister....you should consider giving him a flaming chalice instead of an ichthus....

Keep up the great work!
MrsOnePotato

spoonbender

Thanks a lot, MrsOnePotato! I don't know much about Unitarianism, to be honest, but it's nice to know that my Priest may reflect part of the its ideology. :)

I'm also pleased to be able to share the four last designs of the Major Arcana: first up is The Bateleur, and then there's The Tower, The Moon and The Sun. The Moon, as I've said before, was one of the biggest challenges, since it usually doesn't show any humans - I really wanted to keep it that way in my deck, but that meant it had to be very different from the rest of the cards. Once I had drawn this particular tree though, the rest sort of followed on its own, and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

As always, I'd really appreciate any input!

Spoon

Little Baron

Love the Sun card. Great. Why a swirly-wirly instead of a sun though? :D

Like Le Bateleur as well.

I would be very happy with a copy of the Spoony Tarot.

LB

spoonbender

Sorry for the late reply, LB, but thank you VERY much for your comments.

I like the name "Spoony Tarot" - with their big heads and slim, long bodies, the characters' silhouettes are even a bit similar to spoons, aren't they? :D Oh, and if I ever publish it, you'll be one of the first to receive a copy, of course, since you've been so kind and helpful.

Why a swirly-wirly? Because it felt more natural to me than to draw an actual circle... It's like, you can't really look directly at the sun - it's so hot and radiant and fiery, and I guess I felt a spiral would therefore be more appropriate. I imagine it'll be less evident when coloured though.

Warm regards,
Spoon

Little Baron

spoonbender said:
Oh, and if I ever publish it, you'll be one of the first to receive a copy, of course, since you've been so kind and helpful

I'll hold you to that ;)

LB

LixiPixi

I just found this thread and I'm loving your deck, Spoonbender! It has a very strong "comic strip" feel to it. The innocence, the simplisity, and the emotion you've portrayed in them are really good! I actually LOVE your Moon card the most :thumbsup:

I'm curious as to how you will color it, as I love it in B&W just the way it is. It reminds me of the Stick Tarot and the Hello Kitty right off the top of my head.

How do you feel about its readability, though? And do you have plans for a full 78-card deck in the future? I haven't read through ALL the posts, so I apologize if these things have already been answered.

Absolutely fantastic deck you've got going here! :D

LP~

truelighth

I also just found this thread and what a nice surprise! I agree with LixiPixie, the deck already looks great in black&white. And I am also curious if you are planning to do a full deck or just the Major Arcana. Your deck certainly has an innocent feeling (yes, even that Devil }) ).

MrsOnePotato

truelighth said:
And I am also curious if you are planning to do a full deck or just the Major Arcana.

Hi Spoonbender,
I am wondering the same thing...any chance you will be making the pip cards? It is such a fun deck...we would all love to see how you would interpret the pips...

MrsOnePotato

spoonbender

Oh, I'm sorry! I lost track of this thread because I've been so busy - lots of classes, a couple of assignments, and my upcoming Bachelor paper to worry about as well...

So, LixiPixi, Truelighth and MrsOnePotato: Thanks a lot for the comments!!! I'm happy to see new faces in this thread, by the way. :)

LixiPixi: Glad to hear you like the deck. The Moon actually turned out to be one of my favourites as well! How do I feel about its readability? Well, I hope it'll be the kind of deck that gives sensible, straightforward advice (kind of like the Tarot Nova), and that people will be able to get something out of it the way I know I will.

And, well, I didn't originally have plans to do a 78-card deck, because it was easier to concentrate on finishing the Major Arcana (and it's quite an achievement for me to have gotten that far), but I'm tempted to make some drawings for the Minor Arcana as well - at least for the court cards, because I've no idea how to tackle the pips yet :eek: .

Warm regards,
Spoon

snowRaven

I like the simplicity of the style - especially the simple but very expressive faces on many of the cards.

About half of them (Priest, Sun, Moon, Lovers, Death especially) I find very good and quite workable as they stand.

Most of the other half (Temperance, Papess, Hanged Man, Chariot in particular) I think will need suitable coloring in order to really 'speak' to me.