Reading AS the mentally ill

gregory

These are interesting questions.

Overall, I think the "mentally ill" should be able to do anything any person who does not suffer from mental illness is able to do. That's the point, anything less would be discrimination. Actually, I think if someone is actively psychotic, that can hurt their intuition more than if not. They might say things out of pure excitement than truth. As for hallucinations, I'm a bit skeptical to say that people who have them are not psychotic or on substances... at least on my side of the world.
To return to the TOPIC, it was about whether being mentally ill can make it any harder - or even impossible - to read. Just as my one legged son in law can't climb stairs without a stick, kind of thing. Not whether it should be allowed (he can try if he likes) but whether it can be done, or whether it can be done as effectively.

re-pete-a

These are interesting questions.

As for hallucinations, I'm a bit skeptical to say that people who have them are not psychotic or on substances... at least on my side of the world.

If all the head shrinks were around in the days of the holy books constructions then all the past greats would be on medications...

All are OFF somehow...

Except Nisaba...Naturally...

Reverie

To return to the TOPIC, it was about whether being mentally ill can make it any harder - or even impossible - to read. Just as my one legged son in law can't climb stairs without a stick, kind of thing. Not whether it should be allowed (he can try if he likes) but whether it can be done, or whether it can be done as effectively.

Of course they can and do so well if not more than the masses. I know some of them. I was on topic, but thanks anyways for the not so polite reminder...

Reverie

If all the head shrinks were around in the days of the holy books constructions then all the past greats would be on medications...

All are OFF somehow...

Except Nisaba...Naturally...

I think it's nice that mental illness gives some people more facility to create and be intuitive, but I think a lot of those people's lives could have been longer had meds been around.

re-pete-a

Some that read Tarot use that OFF window to peek through to gain insights...without it there would be no show...

Tools of the trade...

re-pete-a

I think it's nice that mental illness gives some people more facility to create and be intuitive, but I think a lot of those people's lives could have been longer had meds been around.

Meds for the killers of the ones with the creative minds...So who's really the ones that are OFF...

Michael Sternbach

It's more that the same mental sensitivity, imagination etc. that make one susceptible to mental illness can be used positively for creative and intuitive endeavors including Tarot reading. Thus taking away from their rather negative modes of expression.

re-pete-a

Let's not forget the sitter in this equation...

They're usually the one doing the judging...or allowing the reader to judge the situation via the sitter...

acidrica

I am so sorry for abandoning this thread for so long. I was going through a med change, and I have schiz...you know how it goes.

One of the things I do is that, if possible, I turn my computer off the MOMENT I think I'm going into a delusional or psychotic place. That way, you all never even hear a peep from me unless I'm a-okay to be around tarot.

One of the things about my mental illness that always hinders me, though, is my lack of motivation to do ANYTHING. Even things I enjoy. Even things like eating. They are called negative symptoms of schizophrenia, and they are truly harsh. How does this effect my readings? Simple. I often just don't have the motivation to teach myself the card meanings beyond the most shallow of keywords. As such, I need a lot of references when I read.