Tarot Legality

Grizabella

There's also that thing where you can get ordained as a minister online if you have religious freedom in Canada, which I think you do. Right? That might be an answer for you. Spiritual practice using the cards is something that a lot of people do.

There are always laws on the books that are so obscure but nobody enforces them. In some states here in America, it's illegal to have sex in any position but missionary position. Do some research and you'll find a lot of laws nobody enforces and some of them are really hilarious.

As long as you're honest and not scamming people, you should be okay. Of course, though, there are always those who get disgruntled over a reading who might want to retaliate but I'm sure those are "scarce as hen's teeth" as my Granny used to say. :)

Mark Lewis

I'd like to read that ....

Your wish is my command. Here you are:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Any advice or counsel received fits into the parameters of Self-Help and Personal or Spiritual Growth. Consequently, the payment made to the consultant during this time is for services rendered in this context only.

It is accepted that the individual free will can influence the course of events that will occur in life as these events are not unchangable. Knowing this gives the ability, to a certain degree, to control the future. Time is a continuum and the past/present/future is no more than a perception of a perpetual movement. There is no future as such in the usual meaning in the consultant's discourse; there are only probabilities, trends, projections based on the past and present.

Consequently, the consultant makes no public claim to foretell, foresee or predict the future. In forecasting events, readings may be interpreted for fun and entertainment purposes only.

tarotbear

Oooooo! I like that! And the statements in the 'Skeptics' Thread; may I copy them down?

Thank you, Mark, for typing that all out!

Mi-Shell

I do read professional in Ontario and never had any problems.
It is a little tradition here, that some of the candidates for Mayor prior to the election come and get a VERY public reading from me - At times even someone from the press was filming and it appeared on local TV....
Some christians do not like it, but they also do not like it, when I give candidates - or our elected officials a shamanic Blessing or smudge them....

Mark Lewis

Oooooo! I like that! And the statements in the 'Skeptics' Thread; may I copy them down?

Thank you, Mark, for typing that all out!

By all means. I hope you find it useful.

spinnachie

I haven't ventured off into the world of reading professionally for one of the same reasons...however I have been to a few different psychics and I noticed that they all have a little framed bullitin that states their "reader name" along with a sort of stipulation that states all readings are for entertainment purposes only...so I think that as long as you have that visible to your clients, whether it's on your reading table or on your website...you should be ok...i could be wrong but thats just my 2 cents...well..5 cents cuz we no longer have pennies ;)

practical magic

WOW. Somehow i missed this post getting popular! I'm in Nova Scotia. We had two new age shops, now we're down to one that has about 5 readers, and one of the readers at the shop that closed reads out of a dance studio. When I asked HER if there was anything special she did she was mysterious about it like I might nose in on her crowd (like I say, I'm only interested in doing it publicly for charity). But I may open up shop on my website... something cute for halloween. 3 card freebie reading, if you like it consider making a $2.95 donation to one of the following charities. For entertainment purposes only, of course. Something like that. Why $2.95? Because that's the price Gillian Owens in Practical Magic charged for her readings, and I love that book. :) We have an annual psychic fair here too, but personally I have no interest, even though it seems reputable and is held in a nice venue and everything. I don't know what it is about it.

Thanks for all your awesome answers. :)

nisaba

Hi, I've spent a portion of my day reading old threads here pertaining to the legality of tarot, "fortune telling" and other forms of divination in the US, Canada, and elsewhere, and to put it mildly I'm really confused.

Take, for example, Section 365 of the Canadian Criminal code which makes reference to fortune telling, which says:
Every one who fraudulently
(a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration,
(b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or
(c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

We used to have a similar statute before we became a civilised nation. It was successfully defended. The key word is "fraudulently".

Have you been charged? If not, don't worry. When you are charged, instruct your defence lawyer to plead innocent on the basis that while others may argue that you might have been stupid and deluded, you were never fraudulent and had no intent to commit fraud. They have to prove deliberate fraud.

Simple.