Reading AS the mentally ill

gregory

As an aside here - there are people here who ask about reading when under the influence of drugs or alcohol (yes alcohol is a drug too, but you know what I mean.)

I don't particularly want a reading from someone under the influence of either one, and I wouldn't myself read after more than a glass of wine at dinner. I do find it clouds the mind. But people say "Oh, but it opens us up to x y z." IF that were true (and I don't happen to buy it myself) then so does whatever passes as being mentally ill. Both are mind-altering in their way.

donnalee

Eh, I would rather have a reading from someone who has a mental condition/different viewpopint or worldview, as opposed to someone voluntarily taking booze/other drugs, even prescription (I know this is a subject in itself that I am not trying to open up here about does someone NEED it etc.--I'm just not addressing that at all right now, since who am I to judge what helps or harms others in the abstract?). YMMV, but I think the substances can cloud things unnecessarily: perhaps sometimes they can 'open' parts of the reader, but are they more wise than the parts that might otherwise be in use?

But I digress!

As an aside here - there are people here who ask about reading when under the influence of drugs or alcohol (yes alcohol is a drug too, but you know what I mean.)

I don't particularly want a reading from someone under the influence of either one, and I wouldn't myself read after more than a glass of wine at dinner. I do find it clouds the mind. But people say "Oh, but it opens us up to x y z." IF that were true (and I don't happen to buy it myself) then so does whatever passes as being mentally ill. Both are mind-altering in their way.

gregory

Eh, I would rather have a reading from someone who has a mental condition/different viewpoint or worldview, as opposed to someone voluntarily taking booze/other drugs, even prescription (I know this is a subject in itself that I am not trying to open up here about does someone NEED it etc.--I'm just not addressing that at all right now, since who am I to judge what helps or harms others in the abstract?). YMMV, but I think the substances can cloud things unnecessarily: perhaps sometimes they can 'open' parts of the reader, but are they more wise than the parts that might otherwise be in use?

But I digress!
You don't, IMHO. I agree with you 100%.

EmpressArwen

I have dealt with depression since I was a little girl. It's very cyclical. I have to be very conscious of the state of mind I am in when reading. I've had to stop reading several times during depressed period because I only see negative, horrible things...but this is just me, so not saying everyone dealing with mental health issues would be like this.

Also, the times I was on meds, I couldn't read at all (again just me) because I'm a very emotion based reader/person and when on meds, I felt nothing. I couldn't cry, laugh, be excited...nothing. I know this is not the case for most people on meds but that is how it was when I tried it.

I think its all about knowing yourself, assessing yourself and understanding when you are capable of being objective and when you aren't.

ravenest

Well, I am still in shock and re assessing after this ; it is Mental health Week here ... the announcement is - 1 in 4 people have a mental health issue ... :bugeyed:

1 in 4 !

Whatever that means :confused:

But it sure explains a LOT of what is going on.

I dont know if that is just Australia or across the board ... if so, then 1 in 4 people here

and 1 in 4 tarot readers.

[ Mixing that in with other social pressures and degradations like the massive amount of 'ice' now being moved around and consumed plus other types of 'bathtub brew' drugs ...
:( < moves further towards the back of the Hermits cave >

cSpaceDiva

Now to be fair, doing this: '>>' is hardly a threat at all. It's more of a joke, though one that may just be popular among my own friend circle. Apologies if I wasn't clear, I've been having extreme insomnia lately, so I'm not 100%.

As for me giving my opinion on things that are harmful to people like me...yeah, you're right, I see nothing wrong with that. Though it's less 'not doing what I want them to do' and more 'coming into yet another thread about mental illness and tarot and being disrespectful/beating a dead horse/ect...'
I read your "threats" of side eye and expressing your opinion as being pretty tongue in cheek.

I don't have much to add, as I lack first hand experience with mental illness and using tarot. I've ventured into depression a few times, especially after my son was born, but at those times I've never really had the energy for tarot. For me they don't mix. Now excuse me while I go off to a different thread and post something raw and honest that some (most?) people will probably read as me being mentally disturbed and needing help.

gregory

All are mad save thee and me. And even thee's a little strange.

I forget where first heard that (and I've had to change one word as it is no longer politically correct to use it in this context :D)

WHY do my posts keep going black on me :mad:

ETA @ ravenest. The statistic is actually that 1 in 4 people will at some time in their lives suffer a mental health problem. Not QUITE the same thing, but yes indeed, 25% (I used to work in public health...)

Cocobird55

I have depression and PTSD. I can still read tarot -- it takes me out of myself and puts my focus on the cards.

Mi-Shell

A lot of the patients I see (as a practising shaman) have severe mental health issues. Over the years quite a few of them – many being pagan, also read the cards – mostly Oracles but also Tarot.
These are some insights I gained about working with them:
Most people in the mids of clinical depression are so blocked , frozen, in their affect and with their emotions, so much so, that they can and will not read the cards. They may look at an image and know, they should sense, feel, intuit something – but all that comes up is hollow emptiness, which feels deeply frustrating to them. Many can at that stage not even adequately express this frustration. More than once I heard : “I feel like I am in a glass bubble filed with stale air and I can only perceive the world through its milky grey glass.....”
Drawing 1 Oracle card and looking at it through that barrier is hard.
Other people with depression struggle with the side effects of all their meds that distort feelings and intuition and struggle through readings that all too often are seen by them as sad and depressing or as fairytale world that will not become their reality any time soon.
When the depression subsides and they again look at specific readings in their notes they get quite a different answer/ sense of the reading.
Some bring in their readings and ask me to help them make sense of them......

I also have clients with problems, that the allopathic medicine describes as shizophrenia. One of them always brings his Thoth cards and endlessly describes in great detail, what his extraterrestrial “advisers” transmit for him and his family via the cards.....

Another client with severe anxiety was an obsessive “asker” laying out spread after spread asking about the outcome about the smallest things and since the MD in town could not help her, he send her to me.
We since managed to put the cards aside........ (found the reason for the Anxiety and how to balance her out.......)
another patient with bd OCD and anxieties and.......
was/ is a very accomplished Tarot reader. She knows EVERYTHING A. Crowley wrote as to how any card should be correctly read and interpreted. She is VERY smart. But she has almost no empathy, no sense of “sinking into the situation” of a sitter and relating all her book knowledge to another person.... She struggles with the very thought of not being perfect and therefore always right and that she might have a blind spot there.

Quite a few others, cards in hand, bravely strugggggle through depression,manic episodes, delusions, weeks in hospital, meds, sleeplessness – or sleeping almost all day, dark thoughts, voices, doubts, fears, loneliness, stigma and anger and put the cards aside, when times get better.
I pray for all of them!

tarotlova

I suffer from depression and when I was on medication I couldn't read at all, just didn't feel like it, I also stoped dreaming which I really missed and thought at the time that was a weird and unpleasant side effect as I love to interpret my dreams. I am also a voracious reader it is nothing to me to read a book in one day, but I stoped reading for over a year :( I haven't been on medication for over five years now, I'm ok, I still get it occasionally but nothing to the extent it was, interestingly my youngest daughter who is Bi Polar stoped reading too before she got diagnosed correctly, mental illness is a strange world, unless you have visited it personally I don't think people understand what it is that you go through. The flippant remarks its all in your head or pull your socks up, I hope that Mental Illness week here in Australia will wake some people up.