Seasoning a deck

WalesWoman

Hmmm... does jelly, ketchup or macaroni & cheese count as seasonings, condiments or dietary staples? I'm not sure if Druidcraft is seasoned or stapled.

I haven't stuck to one particular deck in the past little while, I've got a couple salty ones and the others are simply house broken and content to have their own individual flavor without extra seasoning.

6 Haunted Days

I've very much enjoyed reading everyone's stories about their beloved decks!

I have recently become very fascinated, attatched and in love with the Pearls of Wisdom deck....while I love quite a few decks and have an amazing connection with them, there is something different about this one and my feelings/reaction for it. It's a combination of many things, that obviously speak to me on a very deep level. And I am thinking (and hoping) it will become my companion through my days, and with me through the many ups and downs of life.

I'd love to hear more stories from others about their well-loved and used decks!

firefrost

I have my RWS that is very seasoned, so I bought another a couple of years ago, just in case.

My VRG is well now well used and well on the way to being seasoned. I'm just giving it a well-earned rest.

FlyingWitch

I agree, the more you live with a deck, the more it becomes part of you. But I like collecting new decks even if it's only because I'm bored or because I like the artwork or because my fantasy needs some practising with new brand cards. Bad for me, I spend A LOT of money this way. But the decks I really use are 4 or 5 max. These are "mine"

Master_Margarita

What a lovely thread. I usually have a "briefcase deck" rather than a "handback deck" but the concept is the same.

M_M~

bryghtrose

I loved reading this thread.

I haven't seasoned my deck with lots of spices. I'm more of a home-style cooker. While I can make curries and fancy wine bases sauces,I prefer to cook hearty meals of roast chicken and potatoes, or filling soups. The analogy has carried over to my tarot deck.

I've taken my Robin Wood with me from college to graduate school, and it went through Canadian customs with me, while I got my student visa. I've slept with it under my pillow, and placed it on my altar. It comforted me during times of stress and sorrow and celebrated with me at times of hope and joy.

I've been a one-deck girl up until last month, so this particular deck has over 8 years of my life wrapped up with it in blue silk.

MareSaturni

There are three little friends currently i need to feel well: my RWS (or my Mythic...the two are friends and accept to exchange places sometimes), my Playing Card Oracles and my Tarot of the Witches (Fergus Hall). one of the tarot decks plus the PCO is enough to make me feel home.

My TotW is kinda new yet...but my RWS and my Mythic are used. They feel good. They shuffle good. They SMELL good. They are so mine! When i'm with them, it's like i have friends between my hands...and they aren't quiet, although only i can listen to them (unless, of course, when i'm reading for others).

My Playing Card Oracles, which is not tarot, is also another great companion.

I don't know, a think a deck is 'seasoned' when...you don't think you need any other deck when you have it. You don't think about 'oh, how i wish i had my Whatever Deck here'...because this one deck is enough. It's not a deck, it's a partner you know well and trusts.

That's how i feel, anyway.

~Marina

afrosaxon

My New Orleans Voodoo Tarot is seasoned...but not Cajun style! :laugh:

It started in the Washington, DC metropolitan area...home to that local phenomenon known as mambo sauce (an eclectic mixture of ketchup, hot sauce, sugar, and soy sauce...a cousin of sweet-and-sour sauce). Mambo sauce is usually eaten with fried chicken wings.

It traveled with me cross-country, from Maryland to San Diego, CA...where it accompanied me to fresh seafood by the San Diego Bay and Hash A Go-Go.

It accompanied me to San Francisco, where I read by bowls of cioppino and fresh vegetables and herbs from the farmers markets (I still have fond remembrances of that wild mint plant that grew in my kitchen window, in my Victorian flat in Union Square). And during my jaunts to my favorite Chinese restaurant, located on a little side street (with no tourist traffic) in Chinatown.

It rode in a suitcase as I went back across the country to New York...as I roamed the streets and ate beef sausage breakfasts in my favorite diners.

It nestled in my tote bag as I moved back to Washington, DC, and then on a long train ride from DC to Georgia.

Now, my dear New Orleans Voodoo Tarot will have some friends along for the ride (namely the Women's Tarot, Motherpeace Tarot, Crystal Oracle, Everyday Oracle, and Witches Runes) as we head overseas to Trinidad, West Indies...home of some of the best rum on the planet and Trinidadian curry. This amalgamation of spices will be honed by the sea breezes as we check out south Trinidad (namely Point Fortin).

A seasoned deck? Most definitely! :D

T.

vhrsn

Seasoning tarot decks

Well, I've seasoned my voyager tarot, I took it to my school for the blind in California. I'ts rode in my suit case as I took a grayhound bus from Ca to NC with my aunt, uncle and grandpa. It's been to tenessee, texas, Ca, NC etc.
The deck I have now is my RW deck which I loved. It's traveled in the mail from California to North Carolina for it was a christmas present from a friend.
All the best,
Veronica

velvetina

When I was 17 years old, in 1981, my grandmother gave me some money and I went out to get my ears pierced and bought a deck of Rider-Waite tarot cards. They are now so soft, they feel like antique fabric. I keep them in a velvet pouch, wrapped in what are now tatters of perfumed silk. They have been nibbled by guinea pigs (don't ask!) and had my fountain pen leak over them...they have candle wax stains and shadowy pencil marks.
I have taken them with me everywhere, they have also been read on beaches, in fields...shuffled by countless people, kissed, fragranced with perfume, with smoke from incense and bonfires. I have used them in spells and told fortunes. I have slept with them under my pillow. They are now my oldest friend. Beloved family and friends who have since passed away have at some point shuffled these cards...they hold so many, many memories and I trust their advice completely.

I cannot imagine my life without this particular deck; aesthetically I may prefer others and I do have strong connections with other decks in my possession, but this one is very dear to me indeed; the one I'd save from a fire.