Goodwill Auctions?

G6

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on Goodwill auctions?

Do they really check to make sure the decks are complete, etc?

Whadda ya think? ;-)

AJ

I watch it often looking at vintage sewing machines so will answer from that standpoint.
It is a crapshoot...
It is very very seldom that you will get a response to a question.
The store sell individually or regionally and the differences can be black and white.
I know of sewing machines that have arrived packed like a baby
I know of sewing machines that they have just taped the case shut and pitched it on the mail truck.

Good luck! Decks don't often go for much there, are you a gambler?

Grizabella

I'm sure they don't check. And you really have to be careful because if you look at the shipping costs, they're outrageous. You can bid on something and get it for $3 but if you look at shipping, it will be $20 for a simple, lightweight item. I just don't bother even going there anymore. I've never looked for Tarot there, but it would be the same thing---very high postage and handling costs.

Yelell

Don't know about auctions, but on Amazon I happened to see an albano deck used really cheap a while back. The description just said something like "box different that amazon pictures, cards all there in decent shape, box damaged." The listing was from a goodwill seller. I decided to take a chance and it ended up being a belgium print older US games version. Complete (box a bit rough,) and nice lovely cards, much preferable to me than the new ones they are selling now (from Italy I think.)

Got my old english tarot much the same way- just happened to see one selling used really cheap from a Amazon goodwill seller. When I do something like that I figure I'm taking a chance, and if I get burned at some point I'll deal with it. (LOL I never even wanted the old english tarot, but it was like $5 including shipping and ended up being like new.)

G6

I watch it often looking at vintage sewing machines so will answer from that standpoint.
It is a crapshoot...
It is very very seldom that you will get a response to a question.
The store sell individually or regionally and the differences can be black and white.
I know of sewing machines that have arrived packed like a baby
I know of sewing machines that they have just taped the case shut and pitched it on the mail truck.

Good luck! Decks don't often go for much there, are you a gambler?

It does look like a crap shoot and yes, the shipping/handling costs are far more than the minimum bid. I did get one response about decks being complete. For me though, I don't like extra stuff hanging around that I would have to sell and they package them as a lot, which is good more bang for your buck, but I don't know how likely it is they would have a lot where I would LUVV all the decks.

jolie_amethyst

As Yelell did, I've bought a deck from Goodwill via Amazon, mostly because it was well described and cheap, with Amazon's A-Z guarantee if things weren't as described. The transaction went perfectly, and I ended up with a perfectly fine (and complete) oracle deck for about half the cost of new...the only defect was a battered box, which I don't care about at all.

But as others said, their auctions aren't consistent. Some Goodwills are meticulous in descriptions and providing pictures. Others, not so much so.

G6

Don't know about auctions, but on Amazon I happened to see an albano deck used really cheap a while back. The description just said something like "box different that amazon pictures, cards all there in decent shape, box damaged." The listing was from a goodwill seller. I decided to take a chance and it ended up being a belgium print older US games version. Complete (box a bit rough,) and nice lovely cards, much preferable to me than the new ones they are selling now (from Italy I think.)

Got my old english tarot much the same way- just happened to see one selling used really cheap from a Amazon goodwill seller. When I do something like that I figure I'm taking a chance, and if I get burned at some point I'll deal with it. (LOL I never even wanted the old english tarot, but it was like $5 including shipping and ended up being like new.)

Same here! Not knocking Goodwill at all! They just sold me a literally new condition OOP Celtic (Davis) set for $2.50 plus shipping! :)

Old English looks cool. Not my style though.

G6

But as others said, their auctions aren't consistent. Some Goodwills are meticulous in descriptions and providing pictures. Others, not so much so.

Agree, the auctions seem more sketch than buying Goodwill through the online booksellers. Also, you're right, not all Goodwills run the same. My thing is if people can't email me back with answers to my questions I move along. Some of the Goodwill auctions have responded back to my queries though and even counted cards for me.

gregory

I've had several bought on amazon and abe from Goodwill as sellers - I've never had a problem and the price is always good. I THINK I had one on ebay once, but it's a while ago and I can't remember for sure.

But if something isn't complete you can return it, after all.

bonebeach

Like I'm sure many people did, I immediately went and checked goodwill to see if they had anything I wanted...

I'm not sure I've ever successfully won something on goodwill. Ebay, sure, all the time. I spent a while last winter cruising for a leather jacket in my size, and goodwill had nothing in the s/xs range, unless it was GROSSLY overpriced, and the few things I did bid on never worked out. Hmph.

I'm willing to give it a shot, though, if the risk is low and the reward is pleasing. I just bought a XIII Tarot for $8 (and free shipping!) off an amazon seller, asked no questions about the deck at all, and not only got a full deck, but a full deck that was totally in perfect order except for the Fool being after the Magician.